Today in Worcester hockey history: October 11


1996 vs Springfield 4-0 win
The Worcester IceCats got a 27 save shutout from Travis Scott, who was making his pro hockey debut, and two goals each from Mike Maneluk and Bob Lachance in a 4-0 win over the Falcons. Maneluk had the only goal of the first period with an unassisted shorthanded tally at 16:13 when Rob Murray turned the puck over in his own zone. Lachance made it 2-0 at :41 of the second period when he converted a rebound of Libor Zabransky’s shot. Maneluk’ second of the game came at 9:59 when he backhanded a rebound of Daniel Guerard’s shot into the top corner. Stephane Roy had the secondary assist. Lachance added a goal at 14:58 of the third for the 4-0 final. Alex Vasilevskii and Zabransky assisted.

1997 vs Philadelphia 2-2 tie
Worcester IceCats goaltender Brent Johnson and Phantoms netminder Brian Boucher both made 37 saves as the ‘Cats and Philadelphia tied 2-2. After a scoreless opening 20 minutes Ivan Ciernik would get Worcester on the board at 9:31 of the second period on the power play, with Michal Handzus and Chris Kenady picking up assists. Shawn McCosh would tie it for the Phantoms at 13:04, and then Paul Healey would give Philadelphia the lead with a power play goal at 14:10. Jamal Mayers connected on the power play, with helpers from Kenady and Terry Virtue, at 17:22 to make it 2-2.

1998 at New Haven 1-0 win
The Worcester IceCats got 26 saves from Rich Parent and a Jochen Hecht second period goal to defeat the Beast of New Haven 1-0. Hecht’s goal came at 3:00 of the second period on the rebound after New Haven netminder Mike Fountain made the save on a Stephane Roy shot from a very wide angle. The puck went right to the tape on Hecht’s stick and he banged the puck home. With the shout out Parent became the second IceCats goaltender to blank an opponent in his Worcester debut. Travis Scott was the first when he shutout Providence 4-0 exactly two years earlier, on October 11, 1996.

1999 vs Providence 5-3 loss
The Worcester IceCats fell behind twice but came back twice and even took the lead, only to allow the final three goals of the game in a 5-3 loss to the Baby-Bs. Jassen Cullimore got Providence on the board at 10:48 with a four on four goal, but Ladislav Nagy tied it for the ‘Cats at 17:17 with Reed Low and Marty Reasoner getting the assists. Andre Savage gave the Bruins the lead again 20 seconds into the middle frame, but Worcester would answer with two goals to take the lead. Jame Pollock tied the game at 4:05 with an unassisted tally, and Trevor Wasyluk put the IceCats in the lead at 9:08 with Low and Andrej Podkonicky helping. But that would be all for the ‘Cats as Joe Hulbig would strike twice in a row, at 12:05 and a power play tally at 17:23. In the third Eric Nickulas made it 5-3 Providence with a power play goal at 12:39. Steve Valiquette, in his only game for the Baby-Bs that season, made 38 saves. Brent Johnson made 29 saves in the loss.

2002 at Manitoba 4-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats scored the first goal of the game but the Moose grabbed the next four in a 4-1 IceCats loss. Papineau got the ‘Cats goal at 2:43 of the second period with a nifty a 40-foot wrist shot. Greg Davis and Marc Brown got the assists on the play. Nathan Smith tied it at 14:09, and Bryan Helmer made it 2-1 Manitoba at 19:30. Brandon Reid then scored a five on three goal at 7:02, and Jeff Farkas added an empty net goal for the 4-1 final. Curtis Sanford was in goal for the ‘Cats.

2003 vs Providence 1-0 loss
(ICECATS) A crowd of 10,272 was on hand at Worcester’s Centrum Centre as the Worcester IceCats dropped the home opener of their 10th Anniversary season with a 1-0 loss to the Providence Bruins. Providence goaltender Tim Thomas stopped all 24 shots he faced, including point-blank chances by ‘Cats captain Jeff Panzer and Marc Brown. Kris Vernarsky scored on the power play for Providence at 11:11 of the first period, getting assists from Ed Campbell and Pat Leahy. Both are Massachusetts natives, and Campbell served as Worcester’s captain from 2000-02.

2008 at Lowell 6-4 loss
(WORSHARKS) While the Worcester Sharks and the Lowell Devils battled for supremacy throughout the evening, Devils forward Matt Halischuk found every possible way to tilt the balance toward the latter. The rookie, playing in just his second professional game, scored four goals and assisted on another as the Sharks lost their AHL opener at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell on Saturday night. Before the game was over, Halischuk had a shorthanded goal, an even strength goal, and a power play goal, and the Sharks were sent home on the wrong end of a 6-4 score despite a gusty, never-say-die performance. A physical first period yielded a 5-on-3 power play for the Sharks, and Worcester newcomer Cory Larose converted a crisp centering feed from captain Ryan Vesce to give the Sharks a 1-0 lead at 13:52 of the first period. Before the leftover penalty had expired, however, Halischuk opened his night by beating Worcester netminder Thomas Greiss to net his first professional goal. Halischuk was set up by fellow winger Jon DiSalvatore who, not to be left out, notched four assists on the evening including three on goals by Halischuk. Three minutes later, a hooking call on Ashton Rome gave the Devils their first power play of the night, and Nicklas Bergfors put Lowell on top at 17:35. Worcester rebounded, however, as Larose again used a feed from Vesce to beat Devils goaltender Scott Clemmensen and pull the Sharks even after twenty minutes. Two early penalties put the Sharks on their heels to start the middle frame, as Halischuk netted both of his power play tallies during a span of 1:44. The first was the end result of textbook puck movement, as DiSalvatore found Halischuk on the goal line to the right of Greiss, and Halischuk quickly tucked the puck behind Greiss to put Lowell on top, 3-2. Carbon copy puck movement put the puck on Halischuk’s stick again less than two minutes later, and this time the rookie faked a centering feed before challenging – and beating – Greiss from close range again. A young Sharks team showed resiliency, however, as rookie Frazer McLaren tipped home a slap shot from fellow rookie Jason Demers at 7:03 to pull Worcester within one. The Sharks fed off the momentum, and killed off the next three Lowell penalties, including a 5-on-3 chance, before Steven Zalewski fed Mike Morris on a no-look pass. Morris tied the game at 14:24, sending the game into the third period all even. Patrick Davis notched the game-winner at 7:35 of the third, chipping the rebound of an Olivier Magnan wrist shot over the glove of Greiss. Halischuk laid the final blow and provided insurance at 8:12, again on an assist from DiSalvatore.

2014 at Binghamton 3-2 win OT
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (1-0-0-0, 2pts) became the first AHL team to score in the new 3-on-3 overtime format to kick off the 2014-15 regular season with a 3-2 victory over the Binghamton Senators (0-0-1-0, 1pts) in front of 3,878 fans at the Broome County on Saturday evening. Ryan Carpenter and Micheal Haley scored first period goals for the Sharks while Troy Grosenick was spectacular making 41 saves in net for the win. Matt Taormina scored in a wild 3-on-3 overtime period at 6:34 after a great feed by Evan Trupp on Worcester’s 48th shot for the victory. Ryan Carpenter (1st) scored the first goal of the season for Worcester, his first professional goal after he jammed home a loose puck at the side of the net past goaltender Andrew Hammond at 8:15. The Senators would tie the game at 14:34 as rookie Ryan Dzingel (1st) fired home a loose rebound after Troy Grosenick made a nice initial stop on Garrett Thompson. Newcomer Micheal Haley (1st) put Worcester ahead 2-1 with at 18:06 as he found a loose puck in the center slot and ripped it past the blocker of the Senators netminder. Eriah Hayes picked up two assists in the opening frame as the Sharks outshot the Senators 19-12 and took a 2-1 lead into the intermission. Worcester outshot Binghamton 15-9 in the second period but it was the Senators with the only score. Ryan Dzingel (2nd) scored on a breakaway at 16:37 to tie the score at 2-2. Troy Grosenick robbed Max McCormick on a shorthanded breakaway bid late in the period to keep the score ties at 2-2 through 40 minutes.
Neither team found the back of the net in the third period as both goaltenders made several big saves to force overtime. Binghamton outshot Worcester 16-13 in the third period but the Sharks had a 47-37 edge through 60 minutes. Binghamton outshot Worcester 6-1 in overtime but the Sharks came up with the winning score. After a breakaway save by Troy Grosenick, Evan Trupp found Matt Taormina (1st) in between the circles for the overtime game winner at 6:34. Taormina fired a rocket past the glove of Andrew Hammond for the first 3-on-3 overtime goal under the new format. The Sharks overall record improves to 1-0-0-0, 2pts and 1-0-0-0, 2pts on the road.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: