Today in Worcester hockey history: October 28


1995 vs Baltimore 6-1 win
(BALTIMORE ) The Baltimore Bandits’ performance in losing 6-1 to the Worcester IceCats last night left much to be desired. Baltimore was outshot 42-36. The defense let in numerous odd-man breaks on Bandits goalie Mike O’Neill, who added to his own troubles with a pair of soft goals. Worcester, benefiting from the Bandits’ troubles, got two goals from Jarrett Deuling. Terry Virtue got a goal and three assists. Both teams started cautiously, but late in the first period, the Bandits’ defense opened up, and the IceCats scored three goals in 1:35. With five minutes remaining, Baltimore’s Darren Van Impe was whistled for a rarely called penalty for closing his hand on the puck. It took the IceCats’ Fred Knipscheer just five seconds to capitalize, banging in Dave Roberts’ cross-ice pass from the slot. While O’Neill couldn’t be faulted for that goal, he gave up a soft one to Craig Johnson just 53 seconds later, as Johnson put one on his pads from just inside the blue line. Things got worse for the Bandits, who were outshot 18-11 in the period, when Deuling scored from close range. It got uglier for the Bandits less than a minute into the second period when Patrice Tardif beat Van Impe to a loose puck in the corner, moved in, and shot it past O’Neill. Soon after, Baltimore went on the power play and seemed to be moving the puck well, with Jarrod Skalde testing Fichaud’s glove hand. But Steven King was called for hooking, ending the Baltimore man advantage.

2000 at Albany 6-3 win
(TICKER) Pascal Rheaume scored a pair of goals and added an assist to lead the Worcester Ice Cats past the slumping Albany River Rats, 6-3, extending Albany’s losing streak to nine games. Rheaume, who recorded a goal and an assist in seven games as a rookie for St. Louis last season, broke a 1-1 tie with 5:56 left in the first period and capped the scoring for Worcester 1:38 into the third period with a power-play goal to increase his season point total to seven in four games. Ladislav Nagy, Mark Rycroft and Chris Murray also scored for the IceCats and Daniel Corso notched three assists as Worcester fired 46 shots in the game, including 20 in the first period. Former Buffalo Sabers goaltender Dwayne Roloson stopped 28 shots in the win for the IceCats, who have won four straight games. Pierre Dagenais, Chris Ferraro and Josef Baumedienne each picked up power-play goals for Albany. J.F. Damphousse suffered the loss despite making 28 saves in relief of Frederic Henry, who gave up three goals on 15 shots in the first period before being pulled.

2006 vs Manchester 5-4 win
(WORSHARKS) Worcester beat Manchester in a back and forth scoring fest to win their second game in a row for the first time this season. Tom Cavanagh, Grant Stevenson, Scott Ferguson, and Garrett Stafford all recorded their first goals of the season to give the Sharks a balanced scoring attack. The Sharks are now 5-2-0-2 and sit just one point behind Portland atop the Atlantic Division.

2011 at Bridgeport 3-2 win OT
(WORSHARKS) Rookie Mike Connolly extended the game with a third period tally and Sean Sullivan won it in overtime with just 38 seconds remaining as the Sharks defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, 3-2, at the Webster Bank Arena on Friday night. Mike Connolly has goals in four straight games with the third period tally and Harri Sateri made 33 saves to win his second straight start for Worcester as the Sharks improved to 4-0-0-1 this season. Cam MacIntyre and Steve Oleksy dropped the mitts just 2:06 into the contest in a lengthy battle to set the tone for a very chippy first 20 minutes of play. Mike Moore (1st) followed up a Tommy Wingels shorthanded rush and banged home a loose rebound past Mikko Koskinen at 11:09 to give Worcester a 1-0 lead. Harri Sateri made several stellar saves in the opening frame as the Sharks led 1-0 heading into the first intermission. Bridgeport tied the score late in the 2nd period on their 5th power play of the game as Tony Romano (1st) ripped a snapped shot down the right side past Harri Sateri at 19:37. The Sound Tigers took a 22-21 shot advantage into the 2nd intermission in a tied hockey game. Former San Jose Sharks first round draft pick, Ty Wishart (1st), gave the Sound Tigers their first lead of the night at 2-1 as he drove a juicy rebound from 35 feet past Sateri at 7:22 of the third period. Mike Connolly (5th) slammed home a loose rebound on top of the crease to tie the score at 2-2 after a great offensive zone shift and shot by James Livingston at 14:14. Mike Moore thought he had won the game in overtime with 90 seconds remaining, but the red light never went on after his breakaway chance appeared to have slipped past Koskinen. There was no question however, with 38 seconds remaining, as Sean Sullivan roofed a snap shot from 30 feet past Koskinen for the game winner for the Sharks. The Sharks record improves to 4-0-0-1 with 9 points and to 2-0-0-1 away from the DCU Center.

2012 vs Bridgeport 5-2 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (2-4-0-1) finished off their first 3-in-3 weekend with another convincing 5-2 victory over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (4-2-0-0) on Sunday afternoon as the Sharks welcomed their 1,000,000th fan at the DCU Center. Alex Stalock made 33 saves in the win for Worcester. Tim Kennedy (1-2-3), Danny Groulx (1-2-3), and Sena Acolatse (1-2-3) each picked up three points, with Groulx grabbing the game winner in the three goal victory. John McCarthy scored his first of the season and Jon Matsumoto netted his 2nd of the weekend a feisty affair at the DCU Center. The Sharks got on the board first just 46 seconds into the first period when John McCarthy (1st) chipped it around a Sound Tigers defenseman and beat goalie Kenny Reiter five-hole, giving the Sharks a 1-0 lead. Matt Tennyson and Kennedy picked up assists on the first goal. The Sharks made it 2-0 on a power play goal by Kennedy (3rd) at 5:58 of the first period with assists going to Groulx and Acolatse. Worcester then capitalized on another power play just four minutes later on a shot from the point by Groulx (1st). Acolatse and Kennedy picked up assists on the Sharks second power play goal of the period. Worcester took a 3-0 lead into the first intermission along with a 19-12 shot advantage. Worcester’s Mike Banwell picked up his first fighting major at 4:41 of the second period, taking on Bridgeport’s Brandon DeFazio in a chippy middle frame. The Sharks increased their lead to 4-0 at 8:10 of the second period when Acolatse (3rd) scored on a shot from the point, with assists going to Matt Irwin and James Livingston. The Sound Tigers answered just two minutes later, when defenseman Jordan Hill (1st) blasted home a slap shot from the point, cutting the Bridgeport deficit to 4-1. The Sound Tigers were able to strike again just four minutes later when Colin McDonald (1st) scored off of a rebound on the power play past Alex Stalock, making it a 4-2 game. The Sharks picked up the lone goal of the third period at 15:43 when Sebastian Stalberg found Jon Matsumoto (2nd) all alone in front of the net who then deked and slipped it past Reiter, giving Worcester a 5-2 lead. A major scrum at 19:57 resulted in 22 minutes of penalties as the Sharks grabbed their 2nd win of the season. The Sharks overall record improves to 2-4-0-1 (5pts in 7gp) and 2-1-0-0 (4pts in 3gp) on home ice.

2017 at Utah 4-1 win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (3-1-1-0, 7pts) finished up a four-game road trip with a 2-1-1-0 record after a 4-1 win over the host Utah Grizzlies (3-5-0-0, 6pts) in front 6,829 fans at the Maverik Center on Saturday evening. Patrick McNally (1-1-2), Kellen Jones (0-2-2), and Chris Langkow (1-1-2) all had multi-point games for the Railers while Mitch Gillam was sharp in net with 27 saves for the win. Ben Masella scored his first pro goal and Barry Almeida scored his first of the season while Yanick Turcotte picked up his ECHL leading 6th fighting major in the road victory. The Railers came out flying in the first period and grabbed a 2-0 lead. Chris Langkow (2nd) ripped a shot from the center slot after a nice feed from Kellen Jones to give Worcester an early lead. After Travis Howe chased Yanick Turcotte (6th FM) around the ice and took a run at Patrick McNally, Turcotte dropped the mitts and sent Howe down to the ice in a one-sided scrap at 10:32. Ben Masella (1st) scored his 1st professional goal with a laser from the point after Ashton Rome won an offensive zone face-off at 16:34. Shots were 11-7 Worcester through 20 minutes of play. Worcester outshot Utah 11-9 in a scoreless second period as Mitch Gillam continued his strong play in the Railers cage. The Railers headed into the second intermission with a 2-0 advantage through 40 minutes of play. Patrick McNally (4th) extended his point streak to five games to give the Railers a 3-0 lead at 3:24 of the third period. The Grizzlies got on the board after Zach Saar (1st) scored his first professional goal after a nice rush up and finish past Mitch Gillam at 10:12. Barry Almeida (1st) added an empty netter to seal the victory for the Railers to close out the road trip on a high note.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: