Today in Worcester hockey history: October 31


1997 at Philadelphia 4-3 win
The Worcester IceCats may have left the Spectrum all black and blue, but they also left with two points as the IceCats beat the very physical Phantoms 4-3. Colin Forbes opened the scoring at 6:59 of the first period, but the ‘Cats got the equalizer while shorthanded when Libor Zabransky’s clearing attempt hit a linesman and bounced right to Terry Virtue. His breakaway goal at 9:13 made it 1-1. Ricard Persson also assisted on the goal. Michal Handzus gave Worcester the lead at 3:19 of the middle period, assisted by Ivan Ciernik and Persson. Jason Zent made it 3-1 at 7:23, with Handzus and Rory Fitzpatrick assisting. Jamal Mayers made it a three goal lead at 9:49, helped by Persson and Stephane Roy, and that turned out to be a huge goal as Philly would close within one with goals by Forbes (12:23) and Jim Montgomery (14:32). But that was as close as the Phantoms would get as Fred Cassivi (30 saves) slammed the door on their comeback.

2001 at Lowell 4-4 tie
The Worcester IceCats turned a 3-1 deficit into a 4-3 lead before settling for a 4-4 tie with the Lock Monsters. Craig MacDonald opened the scoring for Lowell at 8:36 of the first period. Justin Papineau tied it at 15:41, but Brad DeFauw gave Lowell the lead back at 17:59 on the power play. Greg Koehler made it 3-1 at 10:25 of the second period. Greg Davis stopped the bleeding for the ‘Cats when he wristed a high shot into the net at 12:54. Andrei Troschinsky had the assist on the four on four goal. Mike Van Ryn tied the game at 1:12 of the third with a booming slap shot from the right point. Marc Brown then put the IceCats in the lead at 7:47 when he banged Jame Pollock’s rebound home. DeFauw connected on the power play at 11:44 for the eventual 4-4 final. Worcester’s Reinhard Divis made 36 saves while and Lowell’s Jean-Marc Pelletier had 37.

2008 at Hartford 4-2 win
(WOLF PACK) Tom Cavanagh scored twice as the Worcester Sharks rallied from a pair of one-goal deficits for a 4-2 victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack Friday night at the XL Center in a game that deteriorated into a street brawl in the final minutes. With 3:08 left, Sharks coach Roy Sommer got into a shouting match with Wolf Pack assistants Pat Boller and J.J. Daigneault. Then after the final horn sounded, the Wolf Pack’s Justin Soryal and Brodie Dupont fought Brett Westgarth and Frazer McLaren. Lauri Korpikoski, assigned to the Wolf Pack by the Rangers on Wednesday, made his presence felt on his first shift as he rushed into the Sharks zone and dropped a pass to P.A. Parenteau, whose snap shot from the right circle beat Thomas Greiss (20 saves) to the glove side at 1:10. The Wolf Pack (4-4-0-1), who had a three-game winning streak halted, killed three consecutive Sharks power plays and nearly took a 2-0 lead on their first man advantage before Greiss slid across to rob Korpikoski. But moments later, Cavanagh blocked Greg Moore’s shot at the blueline, outraced the Wolf Pack forward down the ice and put a backhander past Miika Wiikman (38 saves) to tie it with 3:08 left in the period. It was the first shorthanded goal allowed by the Wolf Pack this season. The Wolf Pack regained the lead at 4:24 of the second period as Potter cleared a pass to the far blueline to Dane Byers for a 2-on-1 with Parenteau,who broke in alone to score his team-high fifth goal. After the Wolf Pack’s Tommy Pyatt hit the post at 7:58, the Sharks scored two quick carom goals to take their first lead while amassing a 13-3 shot advantage in the period. First, Kyle McLaren, who has played 719 NHL games, shot wide, but Riley Armstrong picked up the puck behind the net and banked in a shot off Wiikman at 13:36. Then 44 seconds later, Cavanagh passed to the blueline to Derek Joslin, whose shot deflected in off Wolf Pack defenseman Chris Murray. Greiss kept the Sharks in front with brilliant stops on Moore and Dale Weise early in the third period. Then with 10:07 left, the Sharks got a 5-on-3 for two minutes and a potential 5-minute power play when Wolf Pack defenseman Vladimir Denisov was given a minor, major, misconduct and game misconduct for pummeling former Wolf Pack center Corey Larose, who had elbowed Bobby Sanguinetti to the head. Cavanagh stuffed his second goal past Wiikman at 11:46 for a 4-2 lead, then Wiikman stopped Steven Zalewski’s breakaway during a 4-on-4 with 5:24 left before the game turned ugly.

2009 at Manchester 4-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) Dan Strong scored in his second straight game for Worcester, but it was the only Sharks goal on 45 shots on Monarchs netminder Jeff Zatkoff as the Sharks fell 4-1 to Manchester at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Halloween night. Each team had chances in the first period, but the play of Alex Stalock and Jeff Zatkoff in goal was key for both clubs. T.J. Trevelyan hit the crossbar with a 30 foot snap shot from the left circle for Worcester and Marc-Andre Cliché hit the post on a shorthanded rush for the Monarchs. Each club went 0-for-1 on the power play in a scoreless fast moving first period. The Monarchs took a 1-0 lead after a shorthanded 2-on-1 break converted by Corey Elkins after he fired a shot from the left circle that beat Stalock top shelf glove side at 7:41. Less than a minute later, Dean Strong tied the score for Worcester after he shuffled the puck in from the far post after a feed in front from Corey Quirk at 8:36. Justin Azevedo’s shot from the left circle deflected off the glove of Stalock and into the net at 15:55 to give the Monarchs a 2-1 lead. Shots were 32-23 in favor of Worcester after two periods of play. Viatcheslav Voynov gave the Monarchs an insurance strike after a nice feed from fellow Russian Andrei Loktionov at 15:47. Voynov’s shot from the right point beat Stalock five hole as the Sharks trailed by two. Brendon Segal scored an empty net goal at 18:26 to cap the win for Manchester. With the loss, Worcester’s record falls to 6-3-0-1 (13 points). Head Coach Roy Sommer remains at 399 wins in the AHL as head coach.

2010 at Providence 6-1 win
(WORSHARKS) Brandon Mashinter recorded four points (1-3-4) and Tommy Wingels scored twice as the Sharks scored a season high six goals in a 6-1 victory at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence on Sunday afternoon. Benn Ferriero scored his team high 7th goal of the season, Andrew Desjardins grabbed his 2nd, and Sean Sullivan scored his first goal in a Sharks uniform while Carter Hutton made 37 saves in his 1st start for Worcester. Dan DaSilva added three assists in the win. Benn Ferriero (7th) got Worcester on the board at 17:48 of the opening period after he collected his own rebound and beat Nolan Schaefer short side from the bottom of the right circle to put the Sharks ahead 1-0. Worcester led 1-0 after twenty minutes outshooting the Bruins 16-8. Worcester took a 2-0 advantage after a Andrew Desjardins (2nd) fired a bomb from 50 feet that snuck under the cross bar just 22 seconds into the 2nd period. Tommy Wingels (2nd) finished off a terrific display of tic-tac-toe passes with a one-timer shot from the right circle at 7:08 to put the Sharks ahead 3-0 and end the afternoon for Nolan Schaefer. Carter Hutton made several nice saves with the Sharks ahead 3-0 and Wingels (3rd) struck again at 14:36. Tommy deflected a pass in front of the crease from Sean Sullivan at 14:36 for a four goal advantage. Joe Colborne (1st) shuffled in a rebound past Hutton at 15:16 to end the second period with Worcester ahead 4-1. The Sharks spooked two more goals past Hutchinson in the third period as Sean Sullivan (1st) scored his first goal in a Sharks uniform, a power play goal at 4:35 and Brandon Mashinter (3rd) lit the lamp at 19:41. There was a brief ten player scrum with 8 seconds remaining as the Sharks swept the home-and-home series with a 6-1 win. The Sharks overall record improves to 4-3-1-1 (10pts) and to 2-2-0-1 (5pts) on the road.

2017 vs Toledo 3-2 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (3-2-1-0, 7pts) kicked off a five game home stand with a 3-2 loss to the visiting Toledo Walleye (4-2-1-0, 9pts) in front 2,130 fans at the DCU Center on Tuesday evening. Woody Hudson and Kellen Jones scored for Worcester as the Railers dropped game one of a five-game home stand. Mitch Gillam made 19 saves in net but Tyler Barnes broke a 2-2 tie early in the third period for the eventual game winner. Toledo scored the only goal in the first period as Mike Borkowski (1st) roofed a loose rebound at the side of the net past netminder Mitch Gillam at 3:20 of the opening frame. Worcester trailed 1-0 and trailed 11-6 on the shot clock headed into the first intermission. The Railers would score back to back goals in the middle period to take a 2-1 lead. Rookie Woody Hudson (1st) scored his first goal as a Railers as he deflected a Wade Murphy shot from on top of the crease at 9:59 to tie the score. Kellen Jones would score a few minutes later with a wrap-around strike past netminder Pate Nagle at 12:32 assisted by Wade Murphy. Toledo would tie the score at 2-2 at 17:11 as Alden Hirschfeld (2nd) fired home a centering feed from behind the net. Shots were 16-7 Worcester in the second period with the score tied up at two through 40 minutes. The Walleye would strike for the game winner at 2:30 of the 3rd period after Toledo raced down to beat out an icing call and Tyler Barnes (2nd) back handed a bouncing puck into the top shelf of the Worcester net for the only score of the third period. Shots were 6-4 Worcester in the final frame as Toledo held on for the one goal victory.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: