Today in Worcester hockey history: November 15


1994 vs PEI 3-2 win
The IceCats and Senators played a goal and penalty filled first period, and Worcester would come away 3-2 winners in the game with the only goal in the final 40 minutes of the game. Shawn Heaphy got the IceCats on the board with a power play goal at 6:42 of the opening period, with assists going to David Haas and Dave Baseggio. That lead would last six seconds when Greg Pankewicz scored an unassisted goal. Pankewicz would score again for Prince Edward Island 10:05 to give them the lead. Jason Widmer, assisted by Lindsay Vallis and Terry Virtue, got Worcester back to even with a power play goal at 14:16. Baseggio scored the game-winner at 6:32 of the second, assisted by Vallis and Walt Poddubny. Les Kuntar made 21 saves for the win.

1997 vs St. John’s 3-1 win
The IceCats had double digit shots in all three periods as they defeated the Maple Leafs 3-1. Terry Hollinger opened the scoring for Worcester, assisted by Rory Fitzpatrick and Jamal Mayers, at 2:42 of the first period. Chris Kenady made it 2-0 1:20 into the middle stanza with Libor Zabransky and Michal Handzus getting the helpers. David Cooper scored a power play goal for St John’s just 17 seconds into the third period, but Mayers would finally seal the deal with an extra attacker goal at 19:27, assisted by Ivan Ciernik and Terry Virtue, for the 3-1 win. Francis Larivee had 38 saves for the Maple Leafs, while Frederic Cassivi made 27 for the win.

1998 at Lowell 3-3 tie
The Worcester IceCats stormed back from a two-goal second period deficit but in the end nothing was decided in a 3-3 tie with the Lock Monsters. After a scoreless opening period Zdeno Chara would get Lowell on the board at 9:17 of the middle stanza, and then Mike Kennedy would make it 2-0 with a shorthanded goal at 11:58. Eighteen seconds later, on the same ‘Cats power play, Jochen Hecht would get the IceCats on the board with helpers from Stephane Roy and Jason Widmer. At 12:59 Andrej Podkonicky would tie the game for Worcester, and at 17:02 Terry Yake would give the ‘Cats the lead with Derek Bekar earning the assist. Lowell would have the only third period score, by Warren Luhning at 12:37, for the eventual 3-3 draw. Brent Johnson made 17 saves in earning the point.

2002 at St. John’s 4-1 win
(ICECATS) Friday night at Mile One Stadium in St. John’s, Newfoundland, the Worcester IceCats defeated the Maple Leafs for the second time this season. The final from ‘The Rock’ was 4-1. Jason Dawe recorded one goal and one assist and Blake Evans potted the game-winner. Curtis Sanford returned to action after missing almost a month with an injury. He stopped 27 of 28 shots en-route to his first win of the season. Justin Papineau and Igor Valeev had the other Worcester goals.

2003 at Lowell 4-4 tie
The Worcester IceCats and Lowell Lock Monsters played a see-saw affair that ended in a 4-4 tie between the two teams. Trailing 2-0 in the first period on Lowell goals by Robert Dome and Martin Sonnenberg, Jame Pollock would score twice before the opening frame was over. His first came at 10:06, assisted by Scott Pellerin and Jon Coleman. Pellerin would set up Pollock again at 16:00, this time with Steve Martins getting the second helper. It was Pellerin’s turn to light the lamp next when he connected for a power play goal, assisted by Mike Glumac and Aris Brimanis, at 8:29 of the middle period. Pavel Brendl would then tie it back up at 12:33. The Lock Monsters would take the lead at 5:37 of the third on a goal by Mike Commodore, but Trevor Byrne got the ‘Cats back to even at 14:36, with Johnny Pohl and Marc Brown getting the helpers. Curtis Sanford left the game mid-way through the second period with an injury. Reinhard Divis went the rest of the way in earning the tie.

2009 vs Providence 5-3 loss
(WORSHARKS) Steven Zalewski scored twice and Danny Groulx added his 2nd of the season, but the Bruins’ Drew Larman broke a 3-3 tie at 18:27 of the third period as the Sharks dropped their 5th straight game in a 5-3 loss to the Bruins at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon.
Steven Zalewski tied the score at 18:20 of the 3rd period with his 2nd of the game, but the Bruins regained the lead just 7 seconds later when Craig Weller broke into the zone and found Drew Larman alone in front of the net for his 1st of the season. The Bruins started the scoring at 4:35 in the first period off a feed from Mikko Lehtonen to Matt Marquardt, who scored his first of the season on a slap shot past Alex Stalock. Providence’s Jeff LoVecchio scored again at 9:26 when Stalock was screened in front of the net, putting the Bruins up 2-0. Worcester came out strong in the second period as Danny Groulx’s shot from the top of the right circle found the back of the net with Frazer McLaren providing the screen at 43 seconds to get the Sharks on the board. Worcester’s offense came alive again at 16:13 when Steven Zalewski blew past Bruins’ defenseman Jeff Penner down the right side and roofed a shot from on top of the crease for his 6th of the season. Providence took back the lead in the final period when Alex Stalock was tripped up in the net and Mikko Lehtonen shot one over the top of his glove at 5:10. The Sharks tied the score again at 18:20 with another goal by Steven Zalewski with a great deflection in front after a nice feed from Trevor Mitchell. Off the following faceoff, Providence made a few quick passes that allowed Drew Larman to score at 18:27, taking the lead, 4-3. Providence’s Jeff LoVecchio scored his second of the night (7th of the season) on an open net at 19:34 to finish the game, 5-3. With the loss, the Sharks fall to 8-8-0-1 (17 points) on the season and 5-5-0-0 at the DCU Center.

2013 at St. John’s 3-2 win SO
(WORSHARKS) Defenseman Sena Acolatse scored in round 9 of the shootout as the Worcester Sharks (4-7-1-0, 9pts) snapped a four game skid (0-3-1-0) with a 3-2 shootout victory over the St. John’s IceCaps (7-7-1-1, 165pts) in front of 6,287 at the Mile One Centre on Friday night in game two of a three game series north of the border in St. John’s. Harri Sateri was brilliant in net earning the games 1st star with 27 saves and seven more stops in the shootout while Matt Tennyson and Freddie Hamilton scored for the Sharks in the win. Jason Jaffray and Jerome Samson scored for the IceCaps as St. John’s battled back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits to force overtime in the second straight game. Goaltender Harri Sateri was the best player on the ice on either side in a scoreless first period with 11 saves to keep the IceCaps at bay. Taylor Doherty (4th FM) fought Ryan Schnell (5th FM) at 3:51 and Curt Gogol (3rd FM) tangled with Andrew Gordon (1st FM) at 8:46 in a feisty opening frame. St. John’s outshot Worcester 11-4 with each team going 0-for-1 on the power play. Matt Tennyson (1st) gave the Sharks a 1-0 lead with a blast from 40 feet that beat goaltender Eddie Pasquale on the glove side as a 5-on-3 advantage came to an end at 10:55. Moments later, Sharks captain Rob Davison was ejected for boarding and St. John’s was given a five minute power play and they would even the score at 1-1. Jason Jaffray (6th) rushed down the middle and split the Worcester defenders and ripped the puck top shelf past Sateri at 12:16. The score was tied 1-1 after 40 minutes with the IceCaps holding a 17-14 shot advantage. In the third period, Freddie Hamilton (3rd) gave Worcester a 2-1 advantage at 7:16 with a great shot from the left circle past Pasquale after great pressure by Bracken Kearns, Brodie Reid and Adam Comrie. Jerome Samson (5th) scored another power play marker at 9:50 to tie the score at 2-2. Harri Sateri made 11 saves in the third period as the Sharks were outshot 12-4 as we headed to overtime. The Sharks came out buzzing in the overtime period nearly winning the game on a couple of chances by Bracken Kearns and Marek Viedensky as Worcester outshot the IceCaps 4-0 in the five minute period. In the shootout, the Sharks forced sudden death on two occasions with goals by James Livingston and Sebastian Stalberg before Sena Acolatse won the game with a terrific move in Round 9 of the shootout for the 3-2 Sharks victory. The Sharks overall record improves to 4-7-1-0, 9pts and 2-2-1-0, 5pts on the road.

2014 vs Springfield 1-0 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (8-5-1-0, 17pts) fired 33 shots on goal but came up empty in a 1-0 loss to the Springfield Falcons (8-7-1-0, 17pts) in front of 3,385 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Sean Collins scored on a penalty shot midway through the second period as both teams combined for 54 penalty minutes. Rookie Anton Forsberg picked up his first professional shutout with 33 saves while JP Anderson made 15 saves for Worcester in the loss. Each team fired eight shots on goal in a rather physical but scoreless opening frame. 6-foot-8 Taylor Doherty (1st FM) fought 6-foot-7 Brett Ponich (3rd FM) at 5:58 in a long heavy weight tilt to set the tone. Each team went 0-for-2 on the power play with the best save of the period coming right before the horn sounded as Sharks rookie goaltender JP Anderson made a killer pad save on a Falcons’ 2-on-0 to keep the game scoreless through 20 minutes. Springfield scored the only goal of the second period after Sean Collins was pulled down from behind by Matt Tennyson and was awarded a penalty shot at 8:08. Collins (5th) slid a backhander through the pads of Anderson to put the Falcons ahead 1-0. A ten skater brawl erupted at 12:52 that led to Micheal Haley (4th FM) squaring off with Brett Ponich (4th FM) and a total of 26 penalty minutes being dished out. Worcester held a 17-12 shot advantage through 40 minutes but trailed 1-0. Worcester fired 16 more shots on Anton Forsberg in the third period but came up empty as the Sharks fell 1-0 to the Falcons. JP Anderson made four more saves in the third period but the Sharks offense came up short. The Sharks overall record falls to 8-5-1-0, 17pts, and 5-4-1-0, 11pts on home ice this season

2018 vs Adirondack 2-1 win SO
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (5-8-1-0, 11pts) picked up their second straight win for the first time this season with a 2-1 shootout victory over the visiting Adirondack Thunder (10-4-0-1, 21pts) in front of 4,049 fans at the DCU Center on Thursday evening. Woody Hudson scored in regulation for the Railers while Evan Buitenhuis in his fourth straight start, was spectacular with 36 saves in net. Nick Bligh scored the only goal in the shootout and Buitenhuis stopped all three shooters for the home victory. Conor Riley scored with just 90 seconds left in regulation to force overtime for Adirondack while Cam Johnson was solid with 24 saves in net in the loss. Neither team scored in a quickly played first period of play as both teams went 0-1 on the power play. Railers netminder Evan Buitenhuis had 11 first period saves while his counterpart Cam Johnson made eight saves for the Thunder as the two clubs headed into the first intermission in a scoreless tie. A Woody Hudson (3rd) deflection gave Worcester a 1-0 lead after a nice cycle down low by Matty Gaudreau followed by a quick shot from the right point by Mike Cornell at the nine-minute mark of the second period. Evan Buitenhuis continued his strong play as he had 20 saves through 40 minutes of play as Worcester took a 1-0 lead into the second intermission. Adirondack came hard in the third period outshooting Worcester 16-4 in the process and would eventually tie the score with the extra attacker at 18:30 as Conor Riley (7th) banged home a loose rebound to force overtime. Neither team would score in overtime as the Railers were unable to convert a power play chance in the process. Nick Bligh scored in the third round of the shootout and Buitenhuis stopped all three shooters he faced as the Railers won their second straight game via the shootout.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: