Today in Worcester hockey history: November 23


1954 vs New Haven 5-3 loss
Goals by period:
New Haven: 2-3-0=5
Worcester: 1-0-2=3
Warriors goals:
15:43 Mather (Verrier, Allain)
1:30 JBell (unassisted)
4:12 Titus (Mather)

1994 vs Rochester 3-3 tie
The IceCats allowed three power play goals in the first half of the game, but managed to get the game into overtime with three tallies of their own in the second half for the 3-3 tie against the Americans. Philippe Boucher (6:15) and Scott Thomas (13:31) gave the Amerks a two goal lead after one period, and Jason Dawe made it a three goal lead at 12:06 of the second period. Sean Whyte then got the IceCats on the board at 14:48, with assists going to Shaun Kane and Jim Nesich. Cal McGowan made it a one-goal game at 10:04 of the third with a shorthanded goal assisted by Nesich. Dave Baseggio got the game-tying goal at 14:10, assisted by Roy Mitchell. Wayne Cowley made 23 saves in the tie.

1995 at Fredericton 3-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats played like turkeys against the Canadiens in a rare US Thanksgiving contest in Fredericton, and ended up on the wrong end of a 3-1 final. Sebastien Bordeleau got the Canadiens on the board at 3:38 of the opening period, but 20 seconds later Lindsay Vallis would tie it on an unassisted breakaway goal. But that was all the offense Worcester would get as Jim Campbell gave Fredericton its lead back at 6:39 on the power play. Pierre Sevigny scored at 10:25 of the middle period to make it the 3-1 final. Eric Fichaud had 31 saves in the game. The IceCats game notes say “we didn’t show up for the game”.

1996 at Hershey 2-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats were whistled for 115 penalty minutes by referee Dan O’Halloran, who called a total of 195 in the game, and the ‘Cats played shorthanded for most of it in a 2-1 loss to the Bears. Jamie Rivers’ goal at 7:32 of the first period gave Worcester the lead, but Eric Veilleux scored a five on three goal at 10:10 to tie it. Pascal Trepanier scored on the power play at 15:23 of the middle period to make it the eventual 2-1 final. At the end of the second period Gary Leeman and the Bears’ Cory Banika were given match penalties for a stick fight. IceCats defenseman David Williams was ejected in the third period for spearing. [210Sports note: There appears to be no complete box score of this game in print. Leeman was suspended three games, Banika for five. Williams was not suspended. Daniel Guerard, whose name appears nowhere in any recounting of the game, was suspended two games]

1997 vs Portland 2-1 win
The IceCats played 60 minutes of solid hockey in defeating the Pirates 2-1. Jamal Mayers opened the scoring with a power play goal at 14:22 of the first, assisted by Bob Lachance and Terry Hollinger. Jason Zent would make it 2-0 at 2:23 of the third with a goal assisted by Chris Kenady and Michal Handzus. Ryan Mulhern would cut the Worcester lead in half at 13:51, but that was as close as Portland would get. Brent Johnson had 29 saves for the win.

2001 vs St. John’s 2-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats scored first in the game, but the Maple Leafs had the next two in a 2-1 ‘Cats loss. After a scoreless opening period Justin Papineau gave the IceCats the lead with a goal at 10:14 of the middle period. Marc Brown and Mark Rycroft had the assist on the play. Bobby House tied it for the Maple Leafs at 19:29 with a shorthanded goal, and Marty Wilford scored the eventual game winner at 8:25 of the third. Curtis Sanford had 31 saves in the loss.

2002 vs Cincinnati 2-2 tie
(ICECATS) The Worcester IceCats extended their unbeaten streak to four games (3-0-1) with a 2-2 tie versus the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks Saturday night at Worcester’s Centrum Centre. The ‘Cats, now 9-6-2-1, have grabbed 21 points through 18 games. The ‘Cats fell behind 1-0 early in the first period, but later tied it on Sergei Varlamov’s sixth goal of the season at 16:01. Set up by Terry Virtue, who stole the puck at the Duck’s blueline with a solid body check, Varlamov headed to the net on a 4-on-1 and tipped Virtue’s pass home. Steve Bancroft pushed the ‘Cats ahead 2-1 at the 2:36 mark of the second period. The defenseman pinched in and redirected Mark Rycroft’s point-shot. Cincinnati’s Travis Brigley spoiled the lead, scoring unassisted at 6:17 of the third on a 2-on-1 in which Bancroft lost his stick. The 2-2 tie held up even through the five-minute overtime in which the ‘Cats managed five shots. Worcester went 0-for-7 on the power play, but held the Ducks to the same margin on their man-advantage. Curtis Sanford knocked off 31 shots for the IceCats as his personal unbeaten-streak mirrors the teams.

2003 vs Utah (in St Louis) 1-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats threw 33 shots at Utah Grizzleys netminder Jason Bacashihua but couldn’t get one past him and lost a 1-0 game played at the Savvis Center in St. Louis, Missouri. It’s still the only home game in Worcester pro hockey history not played in the city. The game was scoreless until Mark Wotton beat ‘Cats netminder Reinhard Divis at 13:51 of the third for the game winner.

2007 at Manchester 3-1 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (8-7-1-0) defeated the Manchester Monarchs (6-9-1-1) 3-1 on Friday night in Manchester, NH. The Sharks scored a goal in every period, and held off a late charge by the Monarchs. The Sharks broke a three game winless slide with the victory. Rookie TJ Fox scored his second goal of the season after a goal mouth scramble at 18:22 of the first period with assists to Graham Mink and Riley Armstrong. Jonathan Tremblay and Kevin Westgarth would drop the mitts and tangle at the Worcester Sharks blue line as Tremblay threw several rights and lefts that connected in a spirited bout at 10:22. Rookie Defenseman Derek Joslin would score his first professional goal, a blast from the right wing point on the power play to give the Sharks a 2-0 lead just :22 seconds gone in the middle frame. The Sharks had a 2-0 lead after two periods. Defenseman Brad Staubitz would receive 27 minutes of penalties at 5:31 of the 3rd period after he was cross checked by Vladimir Dravecky behind the Sharks net. Staubitz would drop the gloves and pound away on Dravecky which led to a major power play for the Monarchs. The Monarchs would score a 5 on 3 power play goal as a blast from Defenseman Peter Harrold hit the crossbar and then off the back of Dmitri Patzold and into the net. Ashton Rome would give the Sharks their two goal lead back after he tipped a shot from Brennan Evans at the Monarchs blue line. Dmitri Patzold made 28 saves for his first win of the season for the Sharks. Notes: The Sharks power play went 1-4; the Monarchs were 1-5. Mike Morris missed his 16th straight game due to injury, Lukas Kaspar his 3rd. Morris is skating and could possibly return in mid December. Daniel Sisca made his AHL debut after starting the season in Phoenix (ECHL). Sisca wore #41 for the Sharks. Brad Staubitz picked up a Sharks season high 29 minutes of penalties in the contest.

2008 at San Antonio 3-1 win
(WORSHARKS) Riding the wave of a three game winning streak, the Worcester Sharks didn’t anticipate any issues in Sunday afternoon’s game against a San Antonio squad that had won just twice in 18 games this season. In actuality, however, the Rampage gave the Sharks all they could handle through two and a half periods of hockey. Assuming the role of hero for the second straight night, Riley Armstrong netted the game winner at 9:28 of the third period as the Sharks (9-8-0-0) finished their two game Texas swing in style with a 3-1 win at the AT&T center in San Antonio. Armstrong scooped up a loose puck at the red line, charged unabated into the Rampage zone, and beat goaltender Al Montoya to the high glove side for an unassisted goal, his eighth of the year. The win pushes the Sharks above .500 for the first time this year, and marked the first action for Thomas Greiss since a recall to San Jose – during which he did not make an appearance – over two weeks ago. Greiss sparkled, stopping 31 of 32 shots. An early turnover forced the Sharks to play from behind, as 19-year-old Rampage winger Brett MacLean backhanded a loose puck past Greiss 6:47 into the game. The goal was MacLean’s team-leading sixth of the year and gave San Antonio a 1-0 lead. Worcester answered in kind, however, as Cory Larose capitalized on casual puck work by Rampage defensemen David Schlemko and Matt Jones as the period wound down. The veteran forced a turnover just ten feet from the Rampage net and fought off a hard check from Schlemko as he beat goaltender Al Montoya to tie the score. Lukas Kaspar followed Armstrong’s tally with a blistering forty foot slap shot two minutes later to double the Worcester advantage. The insurance was welcome, as two late penalties gave the Rampage four minutes worth of power play time down the stretch. On the night, the Sharks killed off all seven San Antonio power plays.

2011 at Manchester 2-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) Tommy Wingels tied the game in the third period for the Sharks but Manchester captain Marc-Andre Cliché scored a late power play goal to lift the Monarchs to a 2-1 victory over the Sharks at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Wednesday evening. Tyson Sexsmith was solid in net for Worcester making 23 saves in the loss in a game that featured three fights and 62 penalty minutes. Worcester Sharks tough guy Frazer McLaren (2nd FM) challenged Monarchs enforcer Justin Johnson (5th FM) at 7:15 after Johnson ran into Sharks goalie Tyson Sexsmith. McLaren landed several right hands before the two heavyweights were separated by the linesmen. Tyson Sexsmith made a series of terrific saves with four minutes remaining to keep the game scoreless. Matt Pelech (1st) dropped the mitts with Ray Kaunisto (2nd FM) at 16:55 after Pelech caught Jordan Nolan with his head down at the Sharks blue line. Pelech dropped Kaunisto in a one sided fight after Kaunisto stood up for his teammate. Worcester outshot Manchester 9-6 in a scoreless first period. In the 2nd period, Taylor Doherty (1st FM) picked up his first professional fighting major after he tangled with Jordan Nolan (5th FM) behind the Worcester net at 4:15. The 6-foot-7 Doherty held his own against Nolan after Nolan checked him from behind. Ray Kaunisto (3rd) snapped a quick shot through the pads of Tyson Sexsmith at 8:06 from on top of the crease after Dwight King dug the puck out of the right wing corner in the Sharks zone. Worcester outshot Manchester 14-8 in the middle frame but trailed 1-0 after 40 minutes. Marc-Andre Cliché (8th) scored a late power play tally at 18:32 of the third period to give Manchester a 2-1 lead. With Cam MacIntyre in the box for hooking, Cliché wristed a shot from 50 feet that was deflected of Taylor Doherty’s stick on top of the crease and past Sexsmith for the game winner for Manchester. The Sharks record falls to 6-5-2-2 with 16 points through 15 games and to 2-1-2-1 on the road.

2012 at Manchester 4-3 win OT
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (8-6-1-1, 18pts) scored the first two and the final two scores in an exciting 4-3 overtime victory over the Manchester Monarchs (8-6-1-1, 18pts) on Friday night in front of 5,433 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena. With the victory, the Sharks moved into first place in the Atlantic Division. Tim Kennedy and Curt Gogol scored early in the first period and Harri Sateri made 27 saves in the win as the Sharks extended their road winning streak to four games. John McCarthy forced overtime and rookie Freddie Hamilton scored with 2:01 remaining in the extra frame as the Sharks won their 4th straight road game when trailing after 40 minutes. Worcester continues their three games in three day stretch on Saturday night at the DCU Center with a 7pm start vs. the Portland Pirates on Teddy Bear Toss Night brought to you by Bay State Savings Bank. Worcester came out blazing in the opening period and scored on their first shot on goal at 50 seconds with a Tim Kennedy (6th)power play shot from the right circle that found the back of the net past Martin Jones to give the Sharks a 1-0 advantage. Curt Gogol (2nd) deflected home a Matt Tennyson shot from the center point at 3:17 to give Worcester an early 2-0 lead. Manchester cut the lead at half with a power play strike off the stick of Nick Deslauriers (1st) from the left wall past Harri Sateri at 6:03. Jordan Nolan (1st) knocked in a loose rebound at 14:56 to tie the score at 2-2 to close out the scoring in the opening frame. The Sharks held a 10-9 shot advantage through 20 minutes. Andrew Bodnarchuk (2nd) scored the only goal in the middle period at 16:44 with a drive from the right point after the Monarchs had the Sharks stuck in their own zone for several shifts to put Manchester ahead 3-2. John McCarthy had the best chance in the period for Worcester but was stopped on a breakaway try by Martin Jones. The Sharks trailed 3-2 after 40 minutes despite having a 21-18 shot advantage.
Captain John McCarty (2nd) found a loose puck at the side of the net and buried it past Martin Jones at 13:13 of the third period to tie the score at 3-3 and force overtime. In the extra frame, Danny Groulx found rookie Freddie Hamilton (2nd) in front of the Manchester net and Hamilton snuck a shot past Jones at 2:59 to give the Sharks the 4-3 come-from-behind win in Manchester. The Sharks overall record improves to 8-6-1-1 (18pts in 16gp) and 4-3-1-0 (9pts in 8gp) on the road this season.

2013 vs Bridgeport 2-1 win SO
(WORSHARKS) Taylor Doherty scored early in the third period and Troy Grosenick was brilliant in the shootout as the Worcester Sharks (6-8-1-0, 13pts) defeated the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (4-8-1-3, 11pts) by the count of 2-1 in the shootout at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Brodie Reid and James Livingston scored in the shootout for Worcester while Troy Grosenick stopped all four shooters in the victory. Worcester outshot Bridgeport 39-20 in a feisty affair as the Sharks improved to 3-0 in the shootout this season. The two teams combined for three sets of fighting majors (Bonneau 4th, Pelech 4th, Hayes 1st for Worcester – Johnson 5th, Gallant 8th, Mayfield 2nd for Bridgeport) in the opening four minutes of the 1st period to set the tone for a physical hockey game. Worcester out shot Bridgeport 13-4 but the Sound Tigers scored the only goal. Dallas Jackson (2nd) deflected home a shot from the point past Troy Grosenick at 13:58 to put Bridgeport ahead 1-0 through 20 minutes. Goaltender Kenny Reiter made nine more saves in the second period as neither team found the back of the net in a much more quieter frame. Worcester trailed 1-0 after 40 minutes despite outshooting Bridgeport 22-11. After a great shift by Rylan Schwartz and Freddie Hamilton deep in the Bridgeport zone, defenseman Taylor Doherty (1st) sent a blast from 53 feet that clanged off the iron and past goaltender Kenny Reiter at 4:47 of the third period to tie the score at 1-1. Neither team would score again as the game headed into overtime tied at 1-1. Both teams had glorious chances to win the game in overtime but both goaltenders stood strong as Worcester outshot Bridgeport 7-5 in the five minute period. In the shootout, Brodie Reid and James Livingston scored for Worcester while Troy Grosenick made four great saves to preserve the 2-1 victory. The Sharks overall record improves to 6-8-1-0, 13pts and 3-5-0-0, 6pts on home ice.

2018 vs Manchester 4-2 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (6-9-2-0, 14pts) closed out their five-game home-stand with a 4-2 loss to the visiting Manchester Monarchs (8-6-1-1, 18pts) in front of 3,425 fansat the DCU Center on Friday evening. Barry Almeida scored both goals for Worcester as the Railers outshout Manchester 37-24 but had a tough time solving netminder Cole Kehler. Ryan Hitchcock and Tyler Barnes added two assists for the Railers as Evan Buitenhuis made 20 saves as Worcester season long four game point streak came to an end with the regulation loss. It was a strong first period for the Railers as they outshot the Monarchs 11-6, but it was a broken play in front of the Railers net that allowed Nic Pierog (7th) to snap a quick surprising shot past netminder Evan Buitenhuis at 1:18 for the only score of the opening frame. Connor Doherty dropped the mitts vs. Eric Schurhamer midway through the period and Ryan Hitchcock led all players with five shots on goal as Worcester headed to the first intermission down 1-0. Worcester would tie the score midway through the second period as Tyler Barnes won a loose puck behind the net and zipped it in front to Barry Almeida (5th) who then snapped a quick shot from in tight on goaltender Cole Kehler at 9:18. Manchester would regain the lead again at 16:10 as Nic Pierog (8th) sent a snap shot on the rush down the left wing side to give Manchester the 2-1 advantage. Worcester held a 26-15 shot advantage through 40 minutes of play but trailed 2-1. Barry Almeida (6th) would tie the score again as his feed ahead to Ryan Hitchcock found its way into the net at 4:03 of the third period. But Manchester would counter with the final two goals of the hockey game as Cory Ward (2nd) netted the game winner on a rebound at 6:47 and Zeb Knutson (3rd) added an insurance strike on the rush at 10:34 to give Manchester their season high fourth straight win.

2022 at Norfolk 4-1 win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (13-2-0-0, 26pts) took down the Norfolk Admirals (1-15-0-0, 2pts) on Wednesday evening by the final score of 4-1 in front of a crowd of 2,356 at the Norfolk Scope Arena in Norfolk, VA. The Railers are still in Norfolk, VA at the Norfolk Scope Arena on Friday, November 25th to take on the Norfolk Admirals at 7:05 p.m. Blake Christensen (1-2-3) scored on a tap pass in the first to put Worcester up late in the first, 1-0. Collin Adams (1-1-2) then cleaned up a rebound out in front early in the second to make it 2-0 Worcester. Jack Quinlivan (1-0-1) then scored his first professional goal midway through the second and pushed the Railers out to a 3-0 lead. Alex Pommerville (1-0-1) got Norfolk back to within one, before Blade Jenkins (1-2-3) wristed one top shelf late in the third to wrap up the scoring at 4-1 Worcester. The Railers have scored the game’s first goal in eleven out of their 15 games played. Blake Christensen (2nd) would be the one to strike first on Wednesday for Worcester. While in the slot, Christensen deflected a pass from Collin Adams towards the net and past Vomacka to open the game at 1-0 Worcester. Shots in the first favored Norfolk 10-7. Collin Adams (8th) scored the eventual game-winner with his team-leading eighth goal of the season. There was a scrum in front of the net that popped back onto the stick of Adams who first shot it into traffic, then grabbed his own rebound and launched it back on net to make it 2-0 Worcester. Jack Quinlivan (1st) followed it up with his first professional tally off a side feed from Blade Jenkins and made it 3-0 Worcester. Shots in the second favored Worcester 17-11, and now favored Worcester on the game 27-18. Norfolk would get one back midway through the period as Alex Pommerville (1st) hammered a slapshot from atop the left circle past Henrik Tikkanen to make it 3-1 Railers. Worcester had maintained a shutout streak of 119 minutes, with the last goal allowed coming late in Friday’s overtime victory over Greenville. Blade Jenkins (7th) capped off a big night with his seventh of the season, this time scoring on the powerplay to make it 4-1 Worcester. The Admirals outshot the Railers 8-7, while Worcester led in shooting 31-29 on the game. Notes: Three Stars: 3rd Star: Henrik Tikkanen (28 saves, 1 GA, .966 SV%), 2nd Star: Blade Jenkins (1-2-3, +3, 3 shots), 1st Star: Blake Christensen (1-2-3, +3, 3 shots)… Final shots were in favor of Worcester 31-29… Tomas Vomacka made 27 saves on 31 shots for the Admirals while Michael Bullion served as the backup… Henrik Tikkanen (7-1-0) made 28 saves on 29 shots for Worcester, while Ken Appleby served as the backup… Worcester went 1-for-5 on the power play while Norfolk went 0-for-4… Bobby Butler (DNP), Jared Brandt (DNP), Derek Osik (DNP), and Anthony Repaci (IR) did not play for Worcester… Collin Adams led the Railers in shots with 5… The Railers are now 5-0-0-0 all-time vs. the Admirals and 1-0-0-0 at the Norfolk Scope Arena against Norfolk.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: