Today in Worcester hockey history: December 5


1954 – Baltimore 7-2 loss
Warriors goals by Walt Dreeley and Jack Chambers to make it 2-2 after one period.

1994 vs Portland 3-1 loss
The IceCats fell behind in the second period and never fully recovered in a 3-1 loss to the Pirates. Jeff Nelson gave Portland the lead at 7:37 of the middle period with a shorthanded goal, and Steve Poapst followed with an even strength goal at 14:00. Ross Wilson, assisted by Jarrett Deuling and Dave Baseggio, cut the lead in half at 18:26, but a Pirates power play goal by Martin Gendron at 5:43 sealed the deal for Portland. Wayne Cowley had 23 saves in the loss.

1997 at Syracuse 4-3 win OT
The Worcester IceCats rallied from 3-1 down in the third period and then got the game winner in overtime to defeat the Crunch 4-3. Brian Bonin gave Syracuse the lead at 8:28 of the opening period, and Terry Hollinger would tie it for the ‘Cats at 19:07. Mike Prokopec assisted on the goal. Sven Butenschoen had the only goal of the second stanza with his power play goal at 19:27. Jan Hrdina made it 3-1 Crunch at 1:38 of the third. Chris Kenady made it a one goal game at 5:40, with help from Bryce Salvador, and then Stephane Roy would knot the game 3-3 at 17:27. Kenady and Nick Naumenko had the assists on the goal. In the overtime period both Terry Virtue and Syracuse netminder Corey Hirsch went for a loose puck in the Crunch zone. When it was clear Virtue was going to win the race Hirsch tired to get back to his net, but Virtue’s pass to Jamal Mayers beat him back as Mayers had all 24 square feet to shoot at for the game winner at 2:37. Hirsch had 44 saves in the contest, while Brent Johnson made 35 for the win.

1998 vs Providence 6-4 win
The Worcester IceCats scored four second period goals and then played the Bruins about even in the IceCats 6-4 win over Providence. After a scoreless opening stanza Lubos Bartecko would get the ‘Cats on the board 50 seconds into the middle period, with Marty Reasoner and Terry Yake getting the assists. Tyler Willis would make it 2-0 at 3:06, with Rory Fitzpatrick and Andrej Podkonicky earning points. the Baby-Bs would get on the board on a Randy Robitaille unassisted tally at 5:10, but Jeremiah McCarthy would give Worcester its two goal lead back at 6:53. Stephane Roy had the lone assist. Cameron Mann would close the gap to one again for the P-Bruins with a score at 16:26. With time winding down in the second Fitzpatrick connected on a power play goal, with Dan Corso and Tyson Nash assisting. In the third Providence would grab a goal at 3:16 by Peter Nordstrom, but the ‘Cats answered right back with a Roy goal, assisted by Kevin Sawyer, at 4:31. The Baby-Bs would then get another Robitaille goal at 6:20, but Bartecko would match his first goal of the game, assisted again by Reasoner and Yake, at 8:05 for the 6-4 win. Brent Johnson made 33 saves in the win.

1999 vs Providence 6-3 win
(TICKER) Brent Johnson turned away 26 shots while six different players scored for the Worcester Ice Cats as they defeated the Providence Bruins, 6-3. Marty Reasoner and Libor Prochazka scored 45 seconds apart in the first period to give Worcester a 3-1 lead and Jamie Pollock scored the eventual game-winner 97 seconds into the second period. Jamie Hicks and Jamie Thompson added third-period tallies for the Ice Cats. Daniel Corso, who scored two goals in Saturday’s win over Quebec, added three assists for Worcester, which won for just the fifth time in 14 home games (5-7-2). Sylvain Blouin opened the scoring at 2:24 of the first before Andre Savage tied the game for Providence with a goal four minutes later. Joel Prpic and Jeff Wells added goals for the Bruins, who had been 3-0-1 in their last five meetings with Worcester. John Grahame stopped 39 shots but saw his record fall to 4-3-1.

2001 vs Providence 5-4 loss
The Worcester IceCats and Providence Bruins played a see-saw affair, with the Baby-Bs getting the final goal and the 5-4 win. Tony Tuzzolino had the only goal in the first period when he lit the lamp at 19:30. Marc Brown tied it for the ‘Cats on a five on three power play at 10:12 of the middle stanza, with Eric Boguniecki and Jame Pollock picking up the assists. Fifteen seconds later Brown scored again with Pollock and Boguniecki each also grabbing another point. But Providence would come back with three goals in a row to take a 4-2 lead, starting with Eric Manlow’s power play goal at 12:34. Zdenek Kutlak had the next two for the Baby-Bs, at 15:46 and then at 4:01 of the third. Jeff Panzer got the IceCats within one at 7:49 of the power play, with Boguniecki and Pollock each picking up their third assists of the night. Boguniecki then tied the game at 12:44 with Justin Papineau assisting. At 18:24 Joe Hulbig would net the game winner for the Bruins. Reinhard Divis had 14 saves in the game.

2003 at Springfield 6-2 loss
(FALCONS) Rookie Mike Stutzel posted a natural hat trick as the Springfield Falcons defeated the Worcester IceCats, 6-2, at the Springfield Civic Center on Friday night. Forwards Krystofer Kolanos and Chris Ferraro notched a goal and an assist apiece for Springfield. IceCats center Mike Glumac scored both goals for Worcester. Stutzel provided the Falcons with a 3-0 lead by scoring twice in the first period and completing his hat trick with a goal in the opening minute of the middle frame. Right wing Frank Banham’s pass from below the goal line set up Stutzel’s first goal 4:19 into the game. Stutzel scored again with 2:11 remaining in the first period when his centering feed from the corner banked off the skate of a Worcester defender and past IceCats netminder Reinhard Divis. The Falcons outshot the ‘Cats 13-2 in the first period. Stutzel redirected a pass out of the corner by Chris Ferraro for his third tally of the game 34 seconds into the second period. Falcons left wing Trevor Gillies registered his first goal of the season 1:13 later. On the tally, the 6’3″, 230-pound forward blocked a shot from an IceCats defenseman, collected the puck in the neutral zone, and finished a breakaway with a shot between the pads of Divis. Ferraro made the score 5-0 with the Falcons’ first shorthanded goal of the season at 6:11 of the period. Glumac potted two goals for the IceCats and Kolanos tallied once for the Falcons over the remainder of the second period. Kolanos scored his first goal since being assigned to Springfield last Saturday with a wrist shot from the top of the right wing face-off circle. Kolanos had a plus/minus rating of +4 for the game. Neither team found the net in the third period. Falcons goaltender David LeNeveu turned aside 26 of 28 shots to earn his fifth win of the campaign. Divis made 23 saves while yielding four of the Falcons’ goals. Netminder Levente Szuper spelled Divis for 7:52 of the second period and surrendered two goals on four shots. Springfield outshot the IceCats, 31-28, for the game.

2004 at Portland 3-2 win
(PIRATES) Jason Bacashihua made 35 saves and Mike Glumac scored the game winning goal for Worcester as the IceCats knocked off the Pirates 3-2 on Sunday afternoon at the Cumberland County Civic Center. The Pirates opened the scoring late in the second period on a power play goal by Brooks Laich. Graham Mink dished a pass to Laich behind the Worcester goal. Laich went behind the net and fell down but managed to miraculously lift the puck in the air and over the shoulder of Jason Bacashihua to give the Pirates the 1-0 lead. Just 18 seconds later, the IceCats retaliated with a goal of their own. Troy Riddle found Alexei Shkotov standing out in front. Shkotov barely lifted the puck over Maxime Ouellet’s left pad to tie the game at one. The IceCats struck again in the third period to take the lead at the 12:15 mark on a goal by Troy Riddle. Alexei Shkotov fed the puck out in front to Riddle who was open on the far side of the crease and didn’t hesitate as he slammed the puck past Ouellet to give the IceCats the 2-1 lead. Mike Glumac scored the eventual game winning goal on the powerplay at the 12:15 mark of the final period. Glumac took a pass from Mike Mottau at the top of the left face off circle a drilled the puck just under the glove of Ouellet to put the IceCats in front 3-1. Brian Sutherby added a late goal for the Pirates on a two on one with Graham Mink. Mink came across the blueline with Sutherby on his left and right as Mink got to the top of the face off circle he shoveled a pass across to Sutherby who buried the puck to the back of the net. Mink had two assists in the game for the Pirates. The Pirates pulled goaltender Maxime Ouellet (18 saves) in the final two minutes, but were unable to beat Jason Bacashihua as the IceCats picked up the 3-2 win.

2008 at Manchester 3-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) After a night of physical, hot-tempered hockey and 118 combined penalty minutes against the Penguins on Wednesday, the Worcester Sharks came up on the short end of a 3-2 score against the Manchester Monarchs on Friday night at the Verizon Wireless Arena. The Sharks outshot the Monarchs 45-15 in a game that featured several scrums and penalty minutes. The Sharks and Monarchs would start the first period with fists flying as Frazer McLaren exacted revenge on Kevin Westgarth at 2:16 of the first period. McLaren was upset with Westgarth after Kevin jumped Frazer in the third period in the last meeting against the two clubs on November 1st. Frazer’s team leading 11th fighting major was a good one, landing several right hands. The Monarchs would exact revenge however on the scoreboard, connecting on a power play with Riley Armstrong in the box for holding. Josh Kidd’s wrist shot from the point was deflected between the pads of Taylor Dakers by David Meckler at 10:32. Tempers would boil again as former Monarch’s captain Brendan Buckley was whistled for 27 minutes of penalties including a game misconduct after a huge scrum that started in front of the Sharks net and ended close to the Sharks bench. Manchester would light the lamp again, this time on a shorthanded goal as Brian Boyle connected a one timer pass from Teddy Purcell past Taylor Dakers at 17:12. The Sharks ended the period with just four defenseman heading into the first intermission trailing 2-0. Gloves would drop again to open the second period, as Brad Staubitz and Drew Bagnall would dance after brad hit Brian Boyle with a big hip check at center ice at 3:19. The Sharks would fall behind by 3-0 after Alec Martinez would finish a 3on2 rush at 15:16. The Sharks trailed 3-0 after 40 minutes outshooting the Monarchs 22-14 after two periods. Brett Westgarth and Paul Crosty would not disappoint at 5:50 of the third period as they tangled after Crosty ran into Dakers behind the Worcester net. Worcester would finally get on the board at 12:46 as Steven Zalewski scored in his second straight game, a power play goal back hand shot off the cross bar and in assisted by Patrick Traverse and Ryan Vesce. The Sharks would pull Dakers with 2:05 remaining and score with :47 seconds remaining as Larose broke a five game goal scoring drought notching his 10th goal of the season. But that was as far as the Sharks would get despite outshooting the Monarchs 45-15 in the game including 23-1 in the final frame.

2009 at Manchester 5-4 SOL
(WORSHARKS) Steven Zalewski and Benn Ferriero scored in the final five minutes of the third period to force overtime but the Monarchs went 5-for-8 in the shootout as the Sharks dropped a 5-4 decision at the Verizon Wireless Arena on Saturday night. Steven Zalewski had three points (1-2-3) Logan Couture had two assists and Couture, Ferriero, Mashinter, and Quirk scored in the eight round shootout loss. Manchester’s Alec Martinez fired the puck from a tough angle along the left wing boards that snuck through a screen in front of Tyson Sexsmith and into the net to give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead at 2:48. After a faceoff win in the offense zone by Andrew Desjardins, Michael Wilson (3rd goal) tied the score at 1-1 after he sent a hard low slap shot from the blue line just inside the post past Jeff Zatkoff at 6:31. With Dwight Helminen in the box for interference, Steven Zalewski sent Benn Ferriero on a shorthanded break away and Ferriero (3rd goal) did not disappoint with a great deek and roofed a shot past the Zatkoff’s glove at 13:17. The Sharks led 2-1 after twenty minutes outshooting the Monarchs 15-7. In the second period, Nick Petrecki and Richard Clune fought at 3:36 behind the play, and it was Petrecki that sent down Clune with a flurry of right hands. The Monarchs tied the score at 7:39 when Marc Andre Cliché (4th goal) poked in a loose puck in front as he was falling on top of the crease. Tough guy Kevin Westgarth (4th goal) scored after he was found the puck all alone on top of the crease and roofed it past Sexsmith at 14:23. After a slow start of the second period, the Sharks poured the pressure on Jeff Zatkoff in the final five minutes but the rookie netminder stood his ground. The Sharks trailed 3-2 after forty minutes outshooting the Monarchs 27-16. Kevin Westgarth (5th goal) extended the lead to 4-2 in favor of the Monarchs early in the third period at 5:13. With under five minutes remaining, the Sharks turned up the jets as Steven Zalewski (8th goal) fired in a centering feed from Benn Ferriero behind the Monarchs net to cut the lead to 4-3. Benn Ferriero (4th goal) tied the score at 4-4 after Zalewski from the left side found him alone in front at the back door at 17:17 to force overtime. After a scoreless overtime period, the Sharks and Monarchs lit up the red light in a goal scorers’ style shootout. The Monarchs took the victory home in the shootout going 5-for-8 on Tyson Sexsmith with David Meckler getting the game winner in round eight. Dean Strong had a chance to tie the shootout but Jeff Zatkoff made a pad stop for the victory. With the shootout loss, the Sharks swim to 14-10-0-2 (30 points) on the season and currently have a SEVEN game point streak (6-0-0-1) to tie a franchise record.

2010 vs Portland 6-4 win
(WORSHARKS) Steve Zalewski had a three point game (2-1-3) for Worcester and Alex Stalock made 26 saves as the Sharks fought off a comeback by the Portland Pirates Sunday at the DCU Center. Nick Schaus and Cam McIntyre also scored goals for the Sharks with both tallies being their first professional goals. The Sharks improved to 10-0-0-1 when scoring the first goal of the hockey game this season and now have points in three straight games (2-0-0-1). The first period saw an offensive onslaught for the Sharks as they took control early. Just 1:08 into the period, Kevin Henderson scored his 3rd goal of the season on a shot from the slot to complete a pretty tic-tac-toe passing play with line mates Andrew Desjardins and Dan DaSilva. Midway through the period the Sharks added to their lead as TJ Trevelyan (4th) picked up a loose puck near the crease and scored on the wraparound past a diving David Leggio. With just over 3 minutes remaining in the first, Cam MacIntyre scored his first professional goal in his first game on a shot from the goal mouth to give Worcester the 3-0 lead heading into the locker room. The Sharks also held the advantage in shots for the period at 14-8. In the second period, the Sharks continued to control the pace of play. Just over eight minutes through the period, Worcester would take a 4-0 lead on an unassisted breakaway goal by defenseman Sean Sullivan(7th) as the puck slipped past goalie Jhonas Enroth. Both teams would trade goals late in the period as the Pirates broke Alex Stalock’s bid for a shutout with 3:22 remaining. Whitmore would pounce on a rebound on a shot from the point and bury it to cut the Sharks lead to 4-1. But Worcester answered just 13 seconds later as Nick Schaus scored his first professional goal on a slap shot from the point. Jonathan Cheechoo and Steve Zalewski picked up assists on the goal. After forty minutes of play Worcester led 5-1. The Pirates attempted to complete a long shot comeback in the third period. After the Sharks scored just 13 seconds into the period on a Steve Zalewski (1st) deflection, Portland would score three unanswered goals. Nick Crawford(3rd) scored shorthanded on a wrister from the right circle on a delayed penalty call to cut it to 6-2 early in the third. Mark Mancari (12th) and Corey Tropp(3rd) both scored midway through the period to cut the Sharks lead to 6-4. The Sharks held off any further comeback by Portland as Worcester skated away with the 6-4 victory. The Sharks record improves to 12-7-1-4 with 29 points and 7-4-1-1 at the DCU Center.

2014 at St. John’s 1-0 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (10-9-2-0, 20pts) four game road trip continued with a 1-0 win over the host St. John’s IceCaps (9-11-4-0, 23pts) in front of 5,673 fans at the Mile One Centre on Friday night. Aaron Dell made 20 saves for Worcester in his first AHL win of the season while Daniil Tarasov’s goal at 3:12 of the third period stood tall. Connor Hellebuyck made 41 saves for the IceCaps as St. John’s lost their 3rd consecutive game by a 1-0 score. Worcester controlled the majority of the opening period and outshot the IceCaps 15-6 but neither team found the back of the net. Goaltenders Connor Hellebuyck and Aaron Dell each had a flawless first period as the two teams headed into the intermission scoreless. The Sharks outshot the IceCaps 16-4 in the second period but both teams came up empty again. Daniil Tarasov had two great chances from in tight but Connor Hellebuyck stood tall. Worcester held a 31-10 shot advantage through 40 minutes but the score remained tied 0-0. After a great glove save by Connor Hellebuyck on Ryan Carpenter, Daniil Tarasov (5th) poked home a loose puck at the side of the net at 3:12 of the third period to put the Sharks ahead 1-0. Aaron Dell made several big saves in the final ten minutes as St. John’s turned on the pressure late in the hockey game. Dell made 10 of his 20 saves in the final frame as Worcester held on for a 1-0 road victory to improve to 9-2-1-0 all-time at the Mile One Centre. The Sharks overall record improves to 10-9-2-0, 22pts, and 4-5-0-0, 8pts on the road this season.

2018 vs Brampton 3-2 OTL
(RAILERS) Tyler Barnes tied the score with a power play goal with five seconds left in the third period but the Worcester Railers HC (9-10-3-0, 21pts) fell 3-2 in overtime to the visiting Brampton Beast (10-9-2-1, 23pts) in front of 1,877 fans at the DCU Center on Wednesday evening. Tyler Barnes scored the only two goals for Worcester while Evan Buitenhuis, making his first start since Nov 23, was strong making 29 saves in net. Erik Bradford scored at the two-minute mark of the overtime period and Michael McNiven made 29 saves in his first ECHL win for the Beast. With the point, the Railers extended their point streak to a season high four games (3-0-1-0). Brandon Marino (5th) gave the Beast a 1-0 lead at 6:27 after a turnover in the Worcester zone led to a chance alone in front of the Railers net for Marino who then buried a quick shot from on top of the crease. The Railers tied the score at 1-1 as Tyler Barnes (6th) sent a shot along the ice from 20 feet after a Worcester offensive zone faceoff win at 9:29. Shots were 13-11 in favor of the Beast after 20 minutes as each team went 0-1 on the power play. Neither team found the back of the net in the middle frame as Beast netminder Michael McNiven made 11 saves while Evan Buitenhuis made 10 saves for the Railers. The two teams headed to the second intermission tied 1-1 through forty minutes of play. Anthony Beauregard (4th) fired home a rebound from on top of the crease at 13:39 to give the Beast a 3-2 lead late in the third period. But the Railers would tie the score with a 6-on-4 advantage as Tyler Barnes (7th) snuck one in from the side of the net at 19:55 to tie the score at two and force overtime. After Tyler Mueller was stopped by a terrific glove save by Michael McNiven, the Beast barreled back down the other end and Erik Bradford (5th) sent a wraparound chance passed Buitenhuis at 2:00 to give the Beast the 3-2 road victory.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: