Today in Worcester hockey history: December 12


1994 vs St. John’s 5-2 win
The IceCats scored two first period goals and never looked back in their 5-2 victory over St. John’s. John Carter got Worcester on the board at 10:55, with Martin Mercier and Jim Nesich getting the assists. Ross Wilson made it 2-0 at 12:27 with Cal McGowan and and Roy Mitchell picking up the helpers. Brandon Convery would get the Maple Leafs within one with a goal just 14 seconds into the second period, but Denis Chalifoux scored a shorthanded goal at 5:01 to give the IceCats their two goal lead back. Mercier and Terry Virtue had the assists on the play. Chalifoux scored again at 15:07, this time assisted by Virtue and Walt Poddubny, for the 4-1 lead. Virtue made it 5-1 with a power play goal at 4:51 of the third, with Chalifoux and Dave Baseggio earning points. Alexei Kudashov capped the scoring with a goal for St John’s at 6:40. Wayne Cowley had 24 saves in the win.

1997 at Providence 6-1 win
The Worcester IceCats used four second period goals to defeat the Bruins 6-1. Robert Petrovicky got the ‘Cats on the board at 9:43 of the opening period after Bob Lachance out-muscled the Baby-Bs defense behind the net and he centered the puck to Petrovicky. Justin Hocking had the secondary assist. Terry Virtue made it 2-0 at 8:43 of the second period when he tipped Nick Naumenko’s blast past Providence goaltender Jim Carey, with Petrovicky picking up a point on the power play goal. Anders Myrvold cut the ‘Cats lead in half at 11:28, but 13 seconds later Jason Zent made it 3-1 after taking a nice pass from Stephane Roy into the Bruins zone. Michal Handzus added a goal at 14:46 when he fought his way out of the right corner and lifted a shot over Carey. Hocking and Terry Hollinger had the assists. Dennis Wright capped the four goal stanza for the IceCats at 18:42 as he was being hauled down at the top of the crease. Lachance had the only assist. In the third period Naumenko scored a power play goal, assisted by Jamal Mayers and Zent, at 13:23 for the 6-1 final. Fred Cassivi had 27 saves.

1998 vs New Haven 5-3 loss
The Worcester IceCats had the first goal of the game but then had trouble staying out of the penalty box and allowed three New haven power play goals in a 5-3 loss to the Beast. Stephane Roy opened the scoring at 7:58 of the first period, with assists going to Bryce Salvador and Kevin Sawyer. New Haven would grab their first power play play goal at 18:33 when Dwayne Hay lit the lamp. Steve Washburn made it 2-1 with an even strength goal for the Beast at 4:03 of the middle stanza, and a second power play goal by Hay at 12:11 made it 3-1. Roy tallied his second of the contest at 16:05, with Tyler Willis and Sawyer getting the helpers, and Shayne Toporowski followed that 25 seconds later to tie the game 3-3. Ricard Persson and Tyler Harlton had the points on the play. But in the third New Haven would score twice, with Craig MacDonald connecting at 6:44 and Washburn earning his second of the game at 19:48 with an empty net power play goal. Todd MacDonald had 43 saves fro The Beast of New Haven while Brent Johnson had 23 for the ‘Cats.

1999 at Syracuse 7-2 loss
The Worcester IceCats looked mostly indifferent for much of their contest with the Crunch and it showed in a 7-2 loss. Syracuse had a 2-0 lead after one period and was up 4-0 four minutes into the second period when Head Coach Greg Gilbert replaced starting goalie Brent Johnson with Cody Rudkowsky. It didn’t help much. A few minutes later Jim Campbell scored to make it 4-1, but the ice was still heavily tilted toward the ‘Cats end. Eventually Reed Low scored to make it the 7-2 final.

2002 at Milwaukee 4-3 win
(MILWAUKEE) The IceCats took full advantage of the Milwaukee Admirals’ bizarre goaltending situation last night. The Admirals lost their two regular goalies in the space of about seven hours yesterday, and newcomer Brant Nicklin hurriedly was signed from the Rockford IceHogs of the United Hockey League. Worcester showed no mercy toward the former University of Minnesota-Duluth goalie, grabbing an early 3-0 lead and holding on for a 4-3 victory at the Bradley Center. The win makes the IceCats 1-1 on their four-game road trip to the Midwest. The IceCats showered 14 shots on Nicklin in the first period but managed just eight the rest of the way. The Admirals lost backup goalie Chris Madden in their morning skate when he suffered a minor concussion after being hit in the head with a puck. That led to Nicklin’s call-up, but he hardly was expecting to play. At least that was the case until 5 p.m. when Admirals regular Jan Lasak got the emergency call to board a charter plane to Nashville. The NHL’s Predators needed Lasak right away after making a major trade that sent veteran goalie and U.S. Olympian Mike Dunham to the Rangers. Nicklin barely had time to adjust his mask and get situated before the IceCats launched their first-period barrage. Left wing Igor Valeev scored Worcester’s first goal at 4:40 of the opening period off an assist from center Blake Evans. Then the IceCats converted their first power-play opportunity, on right wing Jason Dawe’s shot from inside the blue line at 7:18, to grab a 2-0 advantage. The Admirals squandered three power-play chances in the first period, including a two-man advantage that lasted 74 seconds. IceCats center John Pohl added the final insult in the period when he scored with just 6 seconds remaining, an unassisted goal that dribbled through the pads of Nicklin. Granato praised the play of his own goalie, Phil Osaer, who was filling in for regular flu-stricken Curtis Sanford. Osaer finished with 28 saves, including 21 in the final two periods. The Admirals were 0 for 8 on the power play, although they did score after pulling Nicklin in the final 2 minutes of the game. Defenseman Bubba Berenzweig connected from in front to pull Milwaukee within 4-3 at 18:49, but it was too late. Nicklin finally got a breather while seeing just six shots in the middle frame. He didn’t allow a goal, and the Admirals cut their deficit to 3-1 when former Bruins winger Cameron Mann scored on a shot from a tight angle. Winger Mark Rycroft restored the IceCats’ margin to three goals when he connected from the top of the right faceoff circle at 4:15 of the third period. Mann’s second goal of the game, on a backhander that trickled through Osaer’s legs, brought the Admirals within 4-2 at 5:59.

2003 at W-B/Scranton 3-1 win
The Worcester IceCats came out of the gate fast and withstood a furious third period charge from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton for a 3-1 win over the Penguins. Johnny Pohl got the ‘Cats on the board just 52 second into the contest, with Scott Pellerin and Aris Brimanis getting the assists. It stayed 1-0 into the third period, when Jay McClement made it a two-goal lead at 7:44. Sergei Varlamov had the lone assist on the goal. Steve Webb cut the Worcester lead in half at 13:00, but that was as close as Wilkes-Barre/Scranton would get despite firing 12 shots in the frame. Mike Glumac’s empty net goal with 17 seconds remaining, assisted by Steve Martins, sealed the deal. Reinhard Divis made 26 saves in the victory.

2004 at Hartford 2-1 SOL
The Worcester IceCats continued to struggle against Jason LaBarbera and the Wolf Pack, and despite a 32-24 shots advantage fell 2-1 in a shootout in a Sunday afternoon game at the XL Center. Troy Riddle gave the ‘Cats the lead at 8:24 of the opening period, with assists going to Alexei Shkotov and Mike Stuart. The score stayed that way deep into the third period where Lawrence Nycholat would score with an extra attacker at 18:28 to send the game into overtime. The extra session didn’t determine a winner. Peter Sejna scored the lone shootout goal for the IceCats but that wasn’t enough as Wolf Pack shooters beat Curtis Sanford three times to take the game 2-1.

2008 at Hartford 4-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Sharks had the Wolf Pack’s number in the first three meetings, but it was Hartford with three power play goals to drop the Sharks 4-1 in Hartford on Friday night. The Wolf Pack would open the scoring in the first period as Tommy Pyatt deflected a shot from the point in between the pads of Taylor Dakers at 6:59. Hartford would strike again just a few minutes later as Greg Moore scored a power play goal set up nicely by P.A. Parenteau at 8:56. The Sharks trailed 2-0 after twenty minutes with each club registering nine shots on goal. After the Sharks failed to score on a 5on3 power play chance, Riley Armstrong would score a beautiful shorthanded breakaway goal midway through the 2nd period to get the Sharks within one. The goal was Riley’s 10th of the season at 10:12 and was unassisted. But Hartford would convert on a 5on3 power play of their own, as defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti would fire a rocket through the pads of Dakers just 1:47 after the Sharks had gotten on the board. The Wolf Pack would take a 3-1 lead into the second intermission as the Sharks out shot Hartford 19-18 through 40 minutes of play. Birthday boy Mike Moore would have the best chances in the third period for Worcester, hitting the post with a blazing shot from the point to begin the period. Hartford rookie David Urquhart would score some insurance with 1:47 remaining in the third period, the third power play strike of the game for the Wolf Pack.

2010 vs Bridgeport 4-3 win SO
(WORSHARKS) The Sharks battled back from an early 2-0 deficit by scoring three unanswered goals in the second period and then won the game in the shootout, 4-3, Sunday afternoon at the DCU Center. Jonathan Cheechoo, Jason Pitton and Matt Irwin scored in regulation with TJ Trevelyan scoring the winning goal in the shootout for Worcester. Alex Stalock made 20 saves in the winning effort, stopped all five shots in the shootout, and made an unbelievable game saving diving stop in overtime on Trent Campbell to force the shootout. Bridgeport took control of the game early as the Sound Tigers picked up two early goals to take a 2-0 lead. Micheal Haley (2nd) rushed up the right wing and snapped a wrister past goalie Alex Stalock at 1:48. Minutes later, Haley would convert on the power play as he banged home a loose puck in the crease to the right of Alex Stalock at 4:52. The Sharks went into the first intermission trailing 2-0 but leading in shots for the period 8-7. It was the Sharks turn to control a period as they dominated Bridgeport in the second scoring three goals and outshooting the Sound Tigers 16-0. Jason Pitton (2nd) would score just 1:06 into the period as he jammed the puck past Sound Tigers goalie Nathan Lawson. A little over two minutes later, Worcester’s leading scorer Jonathan Cheechoo (11th) picked up the puck in the right corner and wrapped the puck between the left post and Nathan Lawson’s skate to tie the game at 2-2. After failing to convert on several power play chances in the period, Worcester finally broke through on a slap shot by Matt Irwin(5th) late in the second. Cheechoo and James Marcou picked up the assists on the go ahead power play goal. Worcester led 3-2 after 40 minutes. The third period turned into a defensive battle between the two teams. The majority of play was conservative for both teams with the Sharks trying to run down the clock to a 3-2 victory. But Bridgeport would force overtime as they stunned goalie Alex Stalock and the Sharks with a game tying goal with 0:08 seconds remaining while shorthanded. Islander’s first round pick Josh Bailey scored on the quick snapshot for his 4th of the season to force overtime after a faceoff win deep in the Sharks zone. Both teams had a great opportunity in the overtime period to win it. Alex Stalock would make the save of the season, by robbing Trent Campbell with a diving glove save early into overtime. The Sharks would then be stopped by Nathan Lawson on a cross ice one timer with just over a minute remaining. Both saves would ensure a shootout. In the shootout, the Sharks only needed one goal as Alex Stalock turned away every Bridgeport chance. TJ Trevelyan picked up the lone shootout goal as the Sharks picked up the extra point and the victory. The Sharks record improves to 15-8-1-4 with 35 points and to 8-4-1-1 at the DCU Center.

2012 at Connecticut 2-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (12-8-1-2, 27pts) had their four game (3-0-0-1) point streak come to an end in a 2-1 loss to the Connecticut Whale (11-11-2-0, 24pts) on Wednesday night in front of 1,921 fans at the XL Center. The game marked the Sharks 500th game in franchise history (243-198-21-38). James Livingston scored the only goal for Worcester and Harri Sateri was superb in net with 36 saves in goal. The Sharks allowed two third period goals and Tim Kennedy had his season high eight game point streak come to an end in the loss. Goaltender Harri Sateri was the best Sharks player on the ice in a scoreless first period as he made 13 saves in the opening frame. Matt Pelech (7th FM) and Michael Haley (11th FM) exchanged unpleasantries at 10:54 as Worcester was outshot 13-6 through 20 minutes. The second period action picked up on both sides and the only strike came with 98 seconds remaining on a Sharks 2-on-1 break into the Whale zone. Sena Acolatse cleared the puck out of the Sharks zone and sprung James Livingston (1st) down the left wing with Frazer McLaren racing down the middle. Livingston ripped a snap shot past the glove of Cam Talbot to put the Sharks ahead at 18:22. Harri Sateri made 10 more saves in net including stopping Kelsey Tessier on a breakaway late in the period and had 23 saves through 40 minutes of play. The Whale struck twice in the first seven minutes of the third period to take the game by a 2-1 score. Chad Kolarik (9th) struck on the power play with a wicked shot from the right circle at 1:23 to tie the score at 1-1. Whale rookie J.T. Miller (5th) put Connecticut up for good at 6:09 as he broke down the left wing on a 3-on-1 and beat Sateri with a slapper on the glove side for the 2-1 Whale win. Worcester fired just six shots on goal in the third period and went 0-for-2 on the p0wer play in the final ten minutes and 0-for-6 in the game. The Sharks overall record falls to 12-9-1-2 (27pts in 24gp) and 7-5-0-1 (15pts in 13gp) on the road this season.

2014 at Hartford 5-3 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (10-11-2-0, 22pts) fell under .500 for the first time this season after a 5-3 loss to the Hartford Wolf Pack (14-9-2-1, 31pts) in front of 3,516 fans at the XL Center on Friday evening. Worcester scored three goals in the second period (Tarasov, Burish, and Haley) as the two teams headed into the second intermission tied 3-3. Ryan Haggerty and Oscar Lindberg scored third period goals for Hartford while Jeff Malcolm made 35 saves in net for the win. Troy Grosenick made 23 saves for Worcester in his return from the NHL in the loss as the Sharks lost for the 10th time in their last 11 tries in Hartford. Each team fired 12 shots in the first period with Hartford grabbing a 1-0 lead late in the frame. Defenseman Conor Allen (4th) snapped a shot from the left circle past the blocker of Troy Grosenick after the Sharks were hemmed in their zone at 19:01. Making his fist AHL start of the season, Jeff Malcolm made 12 saves for Hartford as the Sharks trailed 1-0 after 20 minutes. A wild second period saw goals scored in bunches. The two teams combined for three goals in 36 seconds midway through the period as Daniil Tarasov (6th) tied the score at 1-1 at 9:43 followed by Adam Burish (1st) at 10:00 to give the Sharks a 2-1 advantage. But 19 seconds later, Michael Kostka (2nd) tied the score for Hartford to end the scoring frenzy. The Wolf Pack took a 3-2 lead at 13:35 as Chris Bourque (12th) was left alone in front of the Sharks net and roofed a shot past Grosenick. But 30 seconds later, former Wolf Pack winger Micheal Haley (8th) tied the score at 3-3 after he pounced on a rebound and buried a shot past Jeff Malcolm from in close at 14:05. The two teams were tied 3-3 into the second intermission with Worcester holding a 26-21 shot advantage through 40 minutes. Rookie Ryan Haggerty (6th) intercepted a Sharks pass just outside the Worcester blue line, skated down the right wing, and sent a wicked shot from 25 feet past the glove of Grosenick just 37 seconds into the third period to put Hartford ahead 4-3. Oscar Lindberg (9th) gave the Wolf Pack insurance at 5:07 with a shot from the right slot and gave the Wolf Pack a 5-3 advantage. Worcester outshot Hartford 12-8 in the third period but could not score as the Wolf Pack won their third straight game. The Sharks overall record drops to 10-11-2-0, 22pts, and 4-7-0-0, 8pts on the road.

2018 vs Manchester 3-2 win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC(11-11-3-0, 25pts) kicked off a busy three game homestand with a huge second period to pick up a 3-2 win over the visiting Manchester Monarchs (11-10-1-1, 24pts) in front of 2,673 fans at the DCU Center on Wednesday evening. Barry Almeida, Connor Doherty, and Josh Holmstrom all scored for Worcester in the second period while Mitch Gillam won his fourth straight start in net, and his 13th straight overall start on home ice dating back to March 2 of last year, as he made 21 saves. Ryan MacKinnon added two assists as the Railers outshot Manchester 36-23 in the home victory. It was a fast paced first period of play as the Railers drew three power plays but came up empty in the opening frame. Worcester outshot Manchester 9-6 in a scoreless opening 20 minutes and Connor Doherty dropped the mitts with Craig Wyszomirski after a hit at center ice by Michael Doherty at 13:56. Worcester exploded for three goals on 21 shots in the second period and even found the back of the net on the power play. Barry Almeida (9th) gave Worcester a 1-0 lead with his one-timer from the right circle lit the lamp after a great cross ice feed from Ryan Hitchcock at 3:52. Manchester tied the score just 43 seconds later after Nic Pierog (11th) rushed down the right wing side, cut across the top of the crease and sent a backhander past Mitch Gillam at 4:35. Connor Doherty (1st) kept in a clearing attempt at the left point and sent a quick wrist shot that surprised netminder Chris Driedger at 6:56. Worcester would strike on their 5th consecutive power play as Josh Holmstrom (7th) batted in a loose puck on top of the crease after the initial shot by Nick Sorkin was stopped at 19:22 to give Worcester a 3-1 lead into the second intermission. Worcester held a 30-13 shot advantage through 40 minutes of play. Manchester had a charge in the third period and would get within a goal with an unassisted tally by defenseman Chris Carlisle (1st) at 14:53. The Monarchs would have a late power play opportunity and would pull the goaltender for the extra attacker, but Mitch Gillam made a fantastic toe save with 62 seconds left to seal the 3-2 home victory.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: