Today in Worcester hockey history: January 23


1955 at Baltimore 9-2 loss
No details available

1999 vs Fredericton 3-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats couldn’t solve Canadiens netminder Mathieu Garon in a 3-0 loss to Fredericton. After a scoreless opening 20 minutes Marc Beaucage (13:52) and Terry Ryan (17:20) both scored for the Canadiens in the middle stanza. Alexei Lojkin made it the 3-0 final with a third period goal at 5:06. Rich Parent took the loss making 25 saves.

2000 at Portland 4-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats allowed three power play goals in a 4-1 loss to the Pirates. After a scoreless opening period Kent Hulst made it 1-0 Portland on the power play. Jason Shmyr scored at 7:14 for the two goal lead, and Hulst scored another one on a power play at 12:06 to make it 3-0. Starting goalie Brent Johnson was then replaced by Cody Rudkowsky as Head Coach Greg Gilbert looked to spark his team. Derek Bekar then had the ‘Cats goal, but Jeff Nelson made it 4-1 soon after, and that was that. [210Sports note: Marty Reasoner was ejected at 2:03 of the first when his jersey was removed in a fight with Trent Whitfield. Bryan Helmer received a 10-minute misconduct and coach Greg Gilbert got a bench minor at 13:12 of the third period when they argued with referee Ian Walsh after Walsh did not eject Glen Metropolit when his jersey came off during a fight with Rory Fitzpatrick.]

2004 vs Lowell 4-3 loss
(ICECATS) The IceCats struggles against the Lowell Lock Monsters continued, as Worcester dropped a 4-3 decision at Worcester’s Centrum Centre last night. The ‘Cats are now 0-4-1 against their intrastate rivals this season. Brent Johnson, making his first appearance with the IceCats since being dispatched to the club by the Blues on January 14th, only lasted one period. He allowed the first goal of the night just 23 seconds in. The veteran backstop appeared to be screened on a point shot, as Lowell took an early lead. Rookie Jay McClement countered for Worcester a little over two minutes later with a 35-foot shortside blast by the stick of Patrick DesRochers. The Lock Monsters added a power play marker from Mike Zigomanis to close the scoring in the first frame. Johnson finished the period and his evening making nine saves on 11 shots. Curtis Sanford appeared between the IceCats pipes to start the second period and saw his club knot the score, as defenseman Trevor Byrne bagged his third of the season at 3:56. Zigomanis responded with his second of the night at 12:06 to give the Monsters their third one-goal cushion. The league’s best power play made it 4-2 in the third. Worcester mustered a man-advantage goal of their own from Marc Brown, but it was the last goal of the night for either team.

2008 at Manchester 2-0 loss
(WORSHARKS) Unable to ride the momentum from Monday’s thrilling comeback victory, the Worcester Sharks fell to the Manchester Monarchs, 2-0, on Wednesday evening at the Verizon Wireless Arena in Manchester, NH. Taylor Dakers had a tremendous game in net, but it wasn’t enough. He made a career-high 34 saves on 36 shots. Manchester’s netminder Daniel Taylor was even better, stopping all 35 shots, marking the third time the Sharks have been shut out this season. The Sharks started the game strong, but could not find the back of the net. Their best chance came less than ten minutes into the period on their first power play. After a succession of tic-tac-toe passes on a rush up ice, Graham Mink found himself on the door step right outside the crease, but his shot misfired. The Monarchs made Worcester pay, taking the 1-0 advantage at the 12:25 mark of the first. Brady Murray took a shot from just outside the faceoff circle to the left of Dakers. Dakers made the save, but the rebound bounced right to Peter Kanko, who held the puck and made a move around Dakers, firing it into the open net. Brian Boyle was credited with the other assist on the play. Manchester had a golden opportunity to double their lead at 18:43, but Dakers came up with a big left pad save. After a flurry of opportunities, David Meckler put a low shot on net that was ticketed for the right corner, but Dakers closed the door and controlled the rebound, drawing a faceoff. With three seconds remaining in the period and a draw in the offensive zone, the Sharks pulled Dakers. They put good chances on net, but it went for naught as they went into the locker room with a 1-0 deficit, despite holding the 14-11 shot advantage. The second period went by the boards without either team lighting the lamp. Kevin Westgarth did have an opportunity at 15:42 of the second. Dakers made a tremendous stop on the initial shot and the puck deflected right to Westgarth ten feet in front of the crease. He put a shot on goal, but Dakers made the save. Manchester held the second period shot advantage, 15-11, and the 26-25 edge through two. After Derek Joslin took a hooking penalty with seven seconds remaining in the second period, the Monarchs started the third on the power play. At 1:10, Trevor Lewis had a golden opportunity to add insurance when he took a rifling shot from the left faceoff circle. It beat Dakers, but hit the left post to keep it 1-0. Brennan Evans was called for a slashing penalty at 1:26, leading to a Monarchs 5-on-3 power play. At 1:42, it was déjà vu when Gabe Gauthier took a shot, only this time from the right faceoff circle. It hit the right post and bounced out. The Monarchs continued the onslaught, but Dakers was there to close the door before covering up. Manchester finally capitalized at 10:13 when Lauri Tukonen made a pass from behind the net to Westgarth in front of the crease. Westgarth found the left corner of the goal for the 2-0 advantage. Mink thought he had cut the lead to one at 10:58. Off a Riley Armstrong rebound, Mink tried picking the top corner of the net, but was stoned by Taylor. Final shots were 37-33 in favor of the Monarchs.

2009 at Springfield 4-3 win OT
(WORSHARKS) Cory Larose tied the score with less than a minute remaining in regulation and Ryan Vesce scored his fourth overtime game-winner only 20 seconds into the extra session to give the Sharks a wild 4-3 win over the Springfield Falcons on Friday night at the Mass Mutual Center. Vesce’s goal was his fourth overtime game-winner of the season. On a rare overtime power play, the Sharks captain skated in on Falcons goalie Devan Dubnyk and beat him five-hole. The Sharks jump to second place in the Atlantic Division with a 24-18-0-2 records and 50 points on the season. At 4:31 of the first period, Mike Moore had a wicked open-ice hit on the Falcons’ Taylor Chorney, which set the tone for a physical night. Less than two minutes later, Guillaume Lefebvre jumped Mike Moore twice, instigating a fight. Lefebvre was assessed a two minute instigator minor, five minutes for fighting, and a ten minute misconduct. Worcester made the Falcons pay on the ensuing power play as Patrick Traverse took a feed from behind the net and fired a shot past Dubnyk for the 1-0 lead. Vesce was credited with the only assist on the play to extend his point streak to 12 games, a Sharks franchise record and second highest in the AHL this season. The rough stuff continued as the teams combined for 42 penalty minutes in the first period. Springfield’s goal came with only two seconds remaining in the period on a shot 200 feet from the goal. Having the draw deep in the Falcons zone, the Sharks pulled goalie Thomas Griess in favor of an extra attacker. The gamble backfired as Tyler Spurgeon won the draw back to Mathieu Roy who fired the puck the length of the ice to make it 1-1. After more than a period of scoreless hockey, the Sharks took a 2-1 lead at 1:25 of the third period. It was Brett Westgarth, who fired a slap shot from just inside the blue line that trickled past Dubnyk. Lukas Kaspar and Vesce picked up the assists on the play. The Falcons tied the score less than three minutes later when Ryan Potulny one-timed a rocket past Greiss for his 18th of the season. The power play goal was assisted by Theo Peckham and Roy. Springfield took its first lead at 14:19 of the third, taking advantage of another power play opportunity. After the initial shot bounced off the back boards, Bryan Lerg found himself in the right place at the right time, roofing a shot into the top corner of the net. Shane Willis and Mike Gabinet were credited with the assists. Cory Larose, playing his first game since Dec. 26, picked up the crucial game-tying goal at 19:19. With an extra attacker, Traverse took a shot from the point that was tipped past Dubnyk to make it 3-3.

2010 at Syracuse 5-4 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks grabbed their 11th road win of the season and their third straight victory overall in a 5-4 victory over the Crunch in Syracuse on Saturday night to kick-off the unofficial second half of the AHL season. Worcester’s Logan Couture had two goals, Nick Petrecki scored his first professional goal and added an assist, and Benn Ferriero added two assists for the Sharks in AHL leading 16th one-goal victory of the season. The Crunch came out firing early with Alex Stalock making some big saves, but a 60-foot shot from the right point by Crunch defenseman Grant Clitsome rang of the far post and past Stalock at 4:04 to give Syracuse a 1-0 lead at 4:04. Logan Couture (17th) evened the score on the Sharks first power play chance with a terrific snap shot from outside the left circle past the glove of goaltender Dan LaCosta at 9:46. The Sharks would take the lead after Andrew Desjardins (12th) scored after a goal mouth scramble at 14:37. Worcester led 2-1 after twenty minutes of play with each team firing 11 shots. The Sharks rattled off three goals in the second period as Logan Couture (18th) tipped in a Nick Petrecki shot from the point at 1:26 to give the Worcester a 3-1 lead. Nick Petrecki went coast to coast for his first professional goal on a beautiful rush and finished with a wrist shot from the right circle past LaCosta at 6:51. Crunch head coach Doug Yates pulled LaCosta after allowing four goals on 15 shots. Captain Derek MacKenzie extended his goal streak to four games after he found the back of the net at 11:50 with a nice feed from behind the cage by Bates Battaglia. Jamie McGinn (5th) capped off the scoring with a shorthanded breakaway goal at 13:30 with a terrific backhand finish past Kevin Lalande. The Sharks led 5-2 after forty minutes outshooting the Crunch 20-19. Brendan Bell and Dan Fritsche scored in the third period for the Crunch but it was too little too late as the Sharks held on for the 5-4 victory in the first ever meeting between the two clubs.

2011 vs Portland 5-4 SOL
(WORSHARKS) Worcester would explode for four goals in the third period to rally from a 3-0 deficit only to give up the lead in the final minute and lose in a shootout, 5-4, on Sunday afternoon at the DCU Center. Andrew Desjardins, Jay Leach, Nick Schaus, and Matt Irwin scored for the Sharks while Alex Stalock made 24 saves in the losing effort. Mark Mancari recorded his 2nd consecutive hat trick in the win for the Pirates, including his game tying 26th goal of the season with just 28 seconds left in the third period. Portland jumped out to a two goal lead in the first to gain the early momentum. Mark Mancari (24th) scored 3:07 into the period as he buried a cross ice pass from Dennis McCauley to give Portland the 1-0 lead. Portland would extend their lead to 2-0 on a slap shot from the point from Dennis Persson (5th) on the power play at 7:36. Brandon Mashinter and Tim Conboy received fighting majors with 1:44 remaining in the first as the physical play looked to continue into the second period. Portland led 2-0 and in shots 12-5 at the end of one. Worcester continued to struggle to generate offense as Portland extended their lead. Jhonas Enroth made two sparkling glove saves in the period to keep the Sharks scoreless. The Pirates would then strike shorthanded as Mark Mancari scored his second of the game, and 25th of the season, at 15:31. The period ended with fisticuffs as Jay Leach and Tim Conboy were given fighting majors along with Jonathan Cheechoo receiving a minor for roughing. Portland led 3-0 after forty minutes. The Sharks would explode in the third period for four goals to battle back against Portland. Matt Irwin (9th) would get Worcester on the board as he completed a 3-on-1 rush by wristing a shot past Jhonas Enroth at 6:31. Nick Schaus (2nd) would score on the power play as he fired a slap shot from the point to cut the lead to 3-2 at 9:50of the period. Just under two minutes later, Jay Leach (1st) tapped in a pass near the right post from Nick Schaus to rally and tie the game at 3-3. Only 53 seconds later, Andrew Desjardins (7th) would give Worcester a 4-3 lead as he buried a pass from Kevin Henderson on a 2-on-1 rush. But the Pirates made a rally of their own as Mark Mancari (26th, 3rd of game) tied the score at 4-4 with a goal at 19:32 of the third with an extra attacker to force overtime. There would not be a hero in the overtime period as the game would go to a shootout. Both Cory Tropp and Luke Adam would score for Portland and Jhonas Enroth stopped all four Worcester shots as Portland battled back for the 5-4 win. The Sharks record falls to 20-18-2-6 with 48 points and to 10-8-1-3 at the DCU Center.

2015 vs Albany 3-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (21-15-3-2, 47pts) had their franchise best eight game win streak come to an end after a 3-2 loss to the Albany Devils (20-14-3-5, 48pts) in front of 3,654 fans at the DCU Center on Friday evening. Tomas Hertl and Barclay Goodrow each made their AHL debuts for the Worcester Sharks while JP Anderson made 17 saves in his third straight start in net for Worcester. Albany had a 3-0 lead early in the second period before Mirco Mueller and Evan Trupp got the Sharks close but Worcester came up short as their nine game point streak came to an end. Albany outshot Worcester 7-5 in the first period as the Devils broke out to a 2-0 lead. Reading, MA native Joe Whitney (16th) had a great tip in front of JP Anderson’s net on a Brandon Burlon point shot at 6:06 to give Albany a 1-0 advantage. The Devils scored again at 12:44 as David Wahlberg sent a snap shot from the left slot past Anderson to put Worcester down 2-0 through 20 minutes of play. Albany went ahead 3-0 at 6:25 of the 2nd period after a one-time blast by defenseman Brandon Burlon (4th) from on top of the right circle after a great feed from the left corner. Worcester finally got on the board at 13:13 with a nifty power play goal by San Jose Sharks first round draft pick Mirco Mueller (1st). Tomas Hertl sent the puck to the goal line to Chris Tierney and Chris fired the puck across the crease to Mueller who snuck in from the left point and buried a quick shot from on top of the crease to cut the Devils lead to 3-1. Albany outshot Worcester 8-2 in the second period as the Sharks trailed by two goals. Worcester had a better charge in the third period and would cut the Devils lead to a goal at 7:19. Evan Trupp (9th) buried a rebound after Bryan Lerg stole the puck in the Albany zone, sent a quick shot towards the net with Trupp charging in for the score. Worcester outshot Albany 13-5 in the third period but it was too little too late as Albany held on for the 4-3 victory. The Sharks overall record falls to 21-15-3-2, 47pts, and 13-7-2-1, 29pts at the DCU Center this season.

2022 vs Adirondack 7-3 win
(RAILERS) The Railers walloped the Adirondack Thunder Sunday afternoon, 7-3, and have won consecutive games to close out the weekend. The seven goals were the most a Railers team has ever scored in regulation at the DCU Center. The triumph was fueled by a phenomenal performance by the line of Cole Coskey, Reece Newkirk and Jacob Hayhurst. They combined for four goals, two by Newkirk. Add in the assists and the trio was 3-5-8. Newkirk, an Islanders prospect, will be just 21 in a month and the goals were his first as a professional. He had been playing well, piling up assists, but the puck was not winding up in the net. “There was a lot of frustration,” Newkirk said. “I’d be lying if I didn’t say that was true. The guys in the room have been great helping me out, and there were posts night after night, but I’m happy to be able to contribute and help out the team.” Newkirk added an assist, Hayhurst had three and Coskey was 1-1-2. Worcester’s other scorers were Ross Olsson, Jordan Lavallee-Smotherman, Brent Beaudoin and Bobby Butler. How about that? Smotherman, 35, and Butler, 34, played in all three games in what amounted to 2 1/2 days. Although Worcester dominated, it was a 3-3 tie halfway through the game. Beaudoin scored on a great wrist shot to the top corner to make it 4-3 at 16:05 of the second period and that seemed to be the catalyst for Worcester to run off with it. Newkirk, Olsson and Smotherman added goals in the third. Shane Harper, Sebastian Vidmar and Jake Hamilton had the Adirondack goals. Olsson extended his goal-scoring streak to four in a row. That is tied for the second-best in franchise history. Tyler Barnes scored in eight in a row in January and February of 2019. Nick Sorkin had a four-game streak later that season. “They were dominant today,” coach David Cuniff said of the Hayhurst line. “You have three really good individual players that played as a line and the defense got involved in it, too. The way they were skating today, nobody could keep up with them.” The line could have been even more productive, Cunniff added, if the game had been more closely officiated. “Every time Coskey had the puck,” he said, “they had to put a lasso around him. That was the only way they could slow him down.” Colten Ellis got the win in net. He got off to a slow start, allowing three goals on the Thunder’s first nine shots, then settled down and made some sharp saves to prevent Adirondack from getting back in the game. Ellis is 5-4-0, Ken Appleby 6-7-1. Coskey, Hayhurst and Nick Albano were all plus-3. Nolan Vesey had a pair of assists. Butler’s goal was probably the game’s prettiest as he sniped a 35-foot wrist shot over Thunder goalie Mareks Miten’s glove at 17:08 of the first period. Butler had an assist taken away Saturday night but is still 2-5-7 and plus-6 in four games. Worcester is 3-1 in those games. This has been a weekend to get re-acquainted for the Railers, whose roster has been torn apart by Covid and callups. Familiarity may breed contempt in some parts of life but it has been a life-saver for the Railers. MAKING TRACKS_Worcester gets five days of rest before another 3-in-3 weekend. The Railers are at Maine on Friday night then play host to the legendary Fort Wayne Komets on Saturday and Sunday. … Connor McCarthy was activated from the Commisioner’s Exempt List and took a turn on defense. Matthew Sredl went on injured reserve. … Vidmar got one of those rare penalties for playing without a helmet in the first period. A penalty? He should have gotten a bonus. Alas, he got another helmet penalty — not secured — later in that period. … Ellis got a legit assist on Butler’s goal, setting it up with a pass to Hayhurst. Ellis has two assists so far this season, the only assists by a Railers’ goaltender. … Beaudoin has scored seven of his nine goals at the DCU Center, the last seven in a row. … Attendance was 2,732. … Railers teams have thrived in 3-in-3 weekends through the years. They took two of three this weekend and are 43-32-6 all-time in that format.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: