Today in Worcester hockey history: February 6


1955 at New Haven 6-4 loss
No details available

1996 at St. John’s 2-2 tie
The Worcester IceCats and St John’s Maple Leafs battled to a 2-2 tie with Jamie McLennan being the story making 41 saves. Mike Pomichter gave the Maple Leafs the 1-0 lead at 10:07 of the opening period. Derek Armstrong tied the contest at 17:47, with Lindsay Vallis assisting. Kevin Sawyer made it 2-1 ‘Cats at 4:28 of the middle period with Craig Darby and Sergei Kharin helping. Mark Kolesar made it the 2-2 final with an extra attacker goal at 19:03 of the third.

1998 at Saint John 4-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats and Saint John Flames entered the third period scoreless, but the third didn’t end that way for both clubs as the Flames scored four times to win 4-0. Aaron Gavey scored the first goal of the game at 3:44 of the third period on the power play. Jim Dowd scored an unassisted goal at 7:43 to make it 2-0. Eric Landry added a goal at 10:56, and Clarke Wilm’s unassisted goal at 19:01 made it the 4-0 final. Brent Johnson had 23 saves.

1999 at St. John’s 7-5 win
(ST JOHN’S) The Worcester IceCats jumped out to a 5-1 lead and hung on for a 7-5 victory over the St. John’s Maple Leafs. The win snapped a seven-game winless streak (0-5-2) for the IceCats. Marty Reasoner and ex-Leaf Shayne Toporowski each scored twice for Worcester, which evened its record at 22-22-6. Single goals came from Lubos Bartecko, Tyson Nash and Stephane Roy. After the Leafs’ Yuri Khmylev opened the scoring with a power-play goal 3:38 into the contest, the IceCats reeled off four straight goals before the first period was over – a pair by Reasoner sandwiched around makers by Toporowski and Bartecko. After Friday’s loss, Gilbert talked about how his team hadn’t been getting any fortunate bounces during its winless streak. That changed last night. Reasoner’s first came after an attempted pass by Jamal Mayers to Derek Bekar bounced off Bekar’s skate and right to Reasoner in front of a wide-open net. And Worcester’s third goal came when Bryce Salvador shot the puck wide of the goal, only to have it go off Bartecko’s shin pad and behind goalie Marc Robitaille. The ‘Cats extended the lead to 5-1 early in the second on a power-play goal by Nash, but St. John’s clawed back to 5-4 on a couple of goals by Kevyn Adams and a power-play marker by D.J. Smith. But less than a half-minute after Smith brought the home side within one, Worcester restored its two-goal cushion when Roy, back in the lineup after a long stay on the sidelines with a hand injury, scooped up his own rebound and backhanded it over Robitaille. At 10:17 of the third, Ladislav Kohn batted a puck past Johnson to make it 6-5. But once more, Worcester responded on the very next shift, as Toporowski’s long wrist shot somehow eluded Robitaille.

2000 at Kentucky 4-3 loss
(TICKER) Chris Lipsett notched the go-ahead goal midway through the final period and Chris Armstrong added a pair of tallied as the Kentucky Thoroughblades edged the Worcester IceCats, 4-3. Lipsett, who also had an assist, snapped a 3-3 tie with a power-play goal at 7:04 in the third. Armstrong scored the game’s first two goals in the first 12 minutes for Kentucky. Johan Hedberg had 35 saves in his 10th win for the Thoroughblades, who won for just the second time in seven games (2-5-0). Andrej Podkonicky tied the contest at 3-3 on a power-play marker for Worcester. Brent Johnson stopped 30 shots for the IceCats, who fell to 14-11-5 when outshooting their opponent.

2002 vs Houston 3-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats fired 23 shots on Aeros netminder Derek Gustafson but couldn’t beat him once in a 3-0 loss to Houston. Aeros goal scorers were Shawn Carter (14:16 of 1st), Brett McLean (15:27 of 3rd), and Tony Virta (19:47, ENG). Cody Rudkowsky had 27 saves in the loss.

2004 at Portland 2-1 loss
(PIRATES) The Pirates scored two early goals and then held on for a 2-1 win over the Worcester IceCats at the Civic Center. It was a night of first for the Pirates. Mike Vigilante started the scoring with his first goal as a Pirate. He batted a feed from Francois Methot past Brent Johnson to give the Pirates the lead at 6:53. Less than four minutes later, the Pirates stretched their lead when Methot forced a turnover and fed Boyd Gordon who beat Johnson through a screen for his first goal of the year. The 2-0 lead held up into the third period in large part because of the goaltending of Rastislav Stana who was supremely tested over the final two periods as the Pirates were outshot 25-6, including 16-2 in the third period. The only goal to beat him came off the stick of Peter Sejna at 6:49 of the third.

2005 at Providence 1-0 loss
Curtis Sanford of the Worcester IceCats and Hannu Toivonen of the Providence Bruins matched each other save for save through the first 47:17 of the game, but it was Sanford who missed one when Brad Boyes beat him in the third period for a 1-0 ‘Cats loss. Sanford finished with 25 saves, Toivonen had 27.

2008 at Lowell 6-1 win
(WORSHARKS) Behind a three-goal second period and five multi-point efforts, the Worcester Sharks cruised to a 6-1 victory over the Lowell Devils on Wednesday evening at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell, MA. Riley Armstrong led the way with three points (2g, 1a), while Mike Iggulden (1g, 1a), Devin Setoguchi (1g, 1a), Dennis Packard (0g, 2a), and Patrick Traverse (0g, 2a) had two. Sharks goaltender Dimitri Patzold was solid in net, stopping 23 of 24 Devils shots. It looked like Lowell would take the early lead, but Patzold came up with a pair of great saves. After two minutes of scoreless play, Barry Tallackson had a point blank opportunity just outside the crease. Patzold made the initial save and the rebound bounced right to Erik Rasmussen for even a better opportunity, but Patzold came up with another big stop. On the ensuing breakout up ice, Iggulden carried the puck toward the right wing side between the blue line and faceoff circle. He let go a wrist shot from 40 feet away that beat Lowell goaltender Frank Doyle low to the blocker side at 2:30 of the first period. It marked Iggulden’s first goal since Jan. 18, ending a six-game drought. Packard and Marc Busenburg picked up the assists on the play. The Devils tied the score at 4:46 on a nifty sequence of passing. The puck was dumped down low with Ivan Khomutov chasing it down at the right wing boards. He passed to Benoit Mondou in the right faceoff circle who rifled a pass across to Stephen Gionta in the left faceoff circle. Gionta found the open net before Patzold could recover, making it 1-1. The Sharks retook the lead at 15:49 when T.J. Fox picked up his eighth goal of the season. Packard was fore checking behind the net when he found Fox in front of Doyle’s crease. Fox put a shot on goal that was initially saved, but bounced up and over Doyle, making it 2-1. Packard picked up his second assist of the game, and period on the play. Iggulden was also credited with an assist, his second point of the first period. Worcester held the 11-9 shot advantage after one period. The Sharks came out flying in the second period and wouldn’t look back. Brad Staubitz, playing his fourth game at forward, picked up his second goal of the season at 3:33. Traverse took a shot from just inside the blue line with Staubitz camped out in front of the net. Staubitz made the deflection past Doyle for the 3-1 lead. Brennan Evans tallied the other assist on the play. Worcester made it a three-goal advantage at 11:17 on Armstrong’s 12th goal of the season. Tom Walsh found himself just inside the blue line and made a nifty pass springing Armstrong between the faceoff circles. Armstrong skated in between Lowell defenders with a clear shot at Doyle, beating him with a low shot just inside the right post to make it 4-1. Craig Valette also picked up an assist on the play. Armstrong picked up his second goal of the period and 13th of the season at 17:01. After Doyle made the initial save, Armstrong held the puck, forcing Doyle to bite on the low shot. When he saw the opening, he put the shot perfectly to the top right corner, making it 5-1. Tom Cavanagh and Setoguchi picked up the assists on the goal. After 18 minutes without a shot on goal, Lowell finally tested Patzold for the first time. In total, the Devils only had three shots on goal in the period. Worcester had 15 shots of their own and led 26-12 after two periods. Less than one minute into the third period, the Sharks made it 6-1. Setoguchi took a pass from Armstrong and skated around three Lowell defenders before releasing a shot in the left faceoff circle. It found the lower right corner of the net to finish off the highlight-reel sequence. Along with Armstrong, Traverse picked up his second assist on the play. Lukas Kaspar had a close call that hit the post midway through the third, but it didn’t matter. The Sharks easily held on to the 6-1 win. Final shots were 29-24 in favor of Worcester.

2009 at Manchester 3-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Sharks trailed 3-0 with less than four minutes remaining in Manchester and scored twice to get within a goal, but the Monarchs held on for the 3-2 victory over the Sharks on Friday night. Matt Moulson would give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead after he rang the Monarch’s first shot on goal off the crossbar and in past Thomas Greiss after a rush down the rightwing side at 2:37. The Sharks would then have four straight power play chances, including a two man advantage for 51 seconds. Thomas Greiss would make two huge saves on both Trevor Lewis and Brian Boyle after a shorthanded rush into the Sharks zone to keep the Monarchs lead at one. But the Monarchs would take a 2-0 lead late in the 1st period as Trevor Lewis would fire a shot from the right circle that went five-hole and in the net as Marty Murray was breaking down the middle at 19:34. The Sharks trailed 2-0 after 20 minutes despite outshooting the Monarchs 14-9 in the opening period. Neither team would score in the second period as the Monarchs came up empty on two power play chances. The Sharks would hit the post midway through the middle frame but the score would remain 2-0 after fort minutes of play. Shots in the second period were 9-8 in favor of Manchester with the Sharks holding a 22-18 advantage after forty minutes. Frazer McLaren would give the Sharks a pulse at 16:20 of the third period with his first goal since opening night in Lowell to break Jonathan Bernier’s shutout bid. McLaren’s shot from the slot found the back of the net with Matt Jones setting up a screen in front. Roy Sommer would pull Thomas Greiss with 2:30 left for the extra attacker and Jamie McGinn would finish a nice goal mouth pass from Matt Fornataro at 18:46 to get the Sharks within a goal. But the Sharks would never really get a great chance to tie as the Monarchs held off the charge for the victory. The loss drops Worcester’s record to 27-21-0-2, while the win improves the Monarchs to 21-23-0-5.

2010 vs Providence 5-3 loss
(WORSHARKS) Providence used three third period goals to come from behind and knock off the Sharks, 5-3 in a physical contest in front of a sellout crowd at the DCU Center in Worcester. With the loss, the Sharks’ eight-game point streak comes to an end. Steven Zalewski had a goal and an assist to become the first Sharks player to reach the 50-point plateau on the season and Danny Groulx extended his point streak to nine games (4-12-16) with a second period assist. Providence outworked and outhustled the Sharks throughout the first period. They scored first at the 7:19 mark, with a five-on-three man advantage, when Brad Marchand’s shot was spilled by Alex Stalock and banged home by Trent Whitfield (12). Jamie Arniel earned the other assist. Worcester’s highlight came just over midway through the period when Brandon Mashinter brawled with Lane MacDermid in an extremely entertaining bout. Providence outshot Worcester, 12-4. The Sharks continued their trend of starting the second period hot. The quick start led to a goal at the 1:21 mark on the power play. With a delayed penalty yet to be called against Providence, Benn Ferriero (15) took advantage and wristed one off a few bodies, past Dany Sabourin, knotting the game at, 1-1. Danny Groulx and Steven Zalewski assisted on the tally. Providence responded at 9:08 of the period when a funny bounce on a dump-in attempt landed on the stick of Craig Weller who blasted one past Stalock. Worcester would not be denied in the period though as they answered back with two goals of their own near the end of the period. At 17:37, T.J. Trevelyan (10) scooped a loose puck over Sabourin’s shoulder and into the back of the net with Brandon Mashinter and Mike Moore collecting the assists. Just 1:09 later, Worcester picked up its first lead of the game when Zalewski (18) took a feed in front of the net and beat Sabourin. Jamie McGinn and Moore picked up the assists. The period ended with the Sharks ahead, 3-2. The Sharks outshot the Bruins, 17-5. Providence tied and then took the lead for the good in the third period. Mikko Lehtonen(15) tied the game on the power play 6:05 into the period and Whitfield (13) collected his second of the game, 12:45 into the period which gave Providence the lead for good. Lehtonen (16) added an empty-net goal to seal the final score, 5-3. Worcester outshot Providence, 11-10. Worcester’s record fell to 31-15-2-2 (66 points) but remain in first place in the Atlantic Division.

2013 at St. John’s 4-0 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (22-18-1-5, 50pts) swept their two game set in St. John’s with a penalty filled 4-0 victory over the IceCaps (21-24-1-2, 45pts) on Wednesday evening in front of another sellout crowd of 6,287 fans at the Mile One Centre. Daniil Tarasov, Bracken Kearns, and John McCarthy all scored in the second period for Worcester in a game that featured five fights and 125 penalty minutes. Harri Sateri picked up his first shutout of the season with 21 saves and John McCarthy also scored in the third period. Tim Kennedy finished with two assists as the Sharks improved to 2-0-0-0 on their season long six game road trip. There was no score but plenty of action in the opening frame with Worcester outshooting St. John’s 14-6. Mikael Tam (3rd FM) fought Hunter Tremblay (2nd FM) to set the tone on the opening faceoff followed by Bracken Kearns (6th FM) and Ray Sawada (4th FM) dropping the mitts at 1:16. Heavyweights Jimmy Bonneau (7th FM) and Ryan Schnell (6th FM) scrapped at center ice as the two teams combined for 34 penalty minutes in the first 20 minutes. Eddie Pasquale made 14 saves for the IceCaps and Harri Sateri six stops for the Sharks. Worcester took control in the second period with three goals on 12 shots to take a 3-0 lead. Daniil Tarasov (6th) gave the Sharks a 1-0 lead at 10:28 after a great feed from behind the net by Tim Kennedy. Bracken Kearns (12th) scored his team leading 8th power play goal after he deflected a blast from Denny Urban past goaltender Eddie Pasquale at 19:03 on a 5-on-3 advantage. Captain John McCarthy (6th) broke a ten game goalless drought with a backhand rebound score at 19:33 assisted by Matt Tennyson and Matt Pelech to give Worcester a 3-0 through 40 minutes. Captain John McCarthy (7th) gave the Sharks insurance at 10:46 in a third period that was marred by 16 penalties totally 89 penalty minutes. Curt Gogol (7th FM) and Nick Petrecki (2nd FM) dropped the mitts for Worcester in the final frame as Harri Sateri made nine more saves to preserve his first shutout of the season. The Sharks overall record improves to 22-18-1-5 (50pts in 46gp) and 14-9-0-2 (28pts in 25gp) on the road this season.

2015 at Norfolk 3-0 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (24-17-3-2, 53pts) were shutout for the 4th time this season after a 3-0 loss to the host Norfolk Admirals (19-23-3-2, 43pts) in front of 4,584 fans at the Norfolk Scope Arena on Friday evening. Aaron Dell made 25 saves in net for Worcester in his third straight start between the pipes but allowed first period goals to Charles Sarault and Andrew O’Brien. John Gibson made 36 saves between the pipes for Norfolk while Chris Wagner added an empty netter for the Admirals in the Sharks 3-0 road loss. Worcester had a 5-on-3 power play for 1:52 early in the first period but came up empty on the best home ice penalty kill unit in the AHL. The Admirals went ahead 1-0 as Charles Sarault (3rd) sent a shot from the left circle off the post and into the net past goaltender Aaron Dell at 12:41. Norfolk grabbed a 2-0 lead at 18:56 as Andrew O’Brien (3rd) sent a shot from the left point wall that found its way through a screen and into the Worcester net. Worcester trail 2-0 after 20 minutes but held an 11-7 shot advantage after the first period. Neither team scored in the second period as goaltender Aaron Dell made 14 second period saves for Worcester. John Gibson had 17 saves through 40 minutes for the Admirals as the Sharks trailed 2-0 into the second intermission. Worcester fired 19 shots in the third period but came up empty once again on goaltender John Gibson. Wellesley, MA native Chris Wagner (13th) added an empty netter at 19:27 to make it a 3-0 final for the Admirals. The Sharks overall record falls to 24-17-3-2, 53pts, and 10-10-2-2, 24pts on the road this season.

2022 vs Kalamazoo 2-1 loss
(RAILERS) Kyle Blaney scored on a clean breakaway — a virtual penalty shot — with just 52 seconds left in the third period to give his team a 2-1 victory. On Saturday, Kalamazoo also won 2-1. The Wings scored the tying goal at 17:21 of the third period then triumphed in overtime. Railers goaltender Kyle Appleby initially made the save on Blaney but the puck bounced past him and barely trickled over the goal line. It was the Wings’ 28th shot of the game. In further irony, Worcester was stymied by Kalamazoo goaltender Jason Pawloski who was excellent in turning back 24 shots. Pawloski was at his best in the second part of the third period when the Railers had their best scoring chances of the game. He was the Worcester goaltender on Dec. 29 when the Railers allowed a franchise-high nine goals in a 9-7 loss in Maine. Pawloski gave up eight of them. For the second straight game a Railers goalie allowed only two goals but lost. Sunday, Appleby was the main reason Worcester had a chance to win or at least earn a point. Once again the Railers scored early, but not often. Will Cullen’s goal gave Worcester a 1-0 lead at 8:34 of the first period on assists from Reece Newkirk and Jacob Hayhurst. It came off a faceoff in the left circle, the puck coming out to Cullen just inside the blue line. He snapped a wrist shot from about 58 feet that skirted traffic in front of Pawloski and went past his glove and inside the far post. It was Cullen’s sixth goal in 19 games with the Railers. That ties him with Ryan MacKinnon for second place for most goals in a season by a Worcester defenseman. MacKinnon did it in a full season in 2018-19. The record is Patrick McNally’s 12 goals in 2017-18 and he did that in 29 games before heading for Europe. The Railers showed little life in the second period. The Wings were shorthanded for six minutes in the first 8:19, having been called for a double minor high stick and a slash. Worcester barely made Pawloski break a sweat. The home team’s best scoring chance came shorthanded, actually, when Anthony Repaci had a semi-breakaway at 11:29. Pawloski made the chest save. Kalamazoo tied it less than a minute later, Logan Lambdin scoring his 17th of the season. There was a get-together in the left corner, nine of the 10 skaters on the ice in close proximity. Lambdin was the even man out, got a pass from Zach Jordan, and snapped a no-chancer past Appleby from about 20 feet away dead-center in front. Aside from that and the breakaway goal, Appleby was terrific, as he and Colten Ellis have been almost all year long. MAKING TRACKS_Ross Olsson returned to the lineup but his point streak ended at eight games while Blake Christensen did not dress. Cullen was in, Austin Osmanski out on defense. … Pawloski became the first goaltender to play both for and against the Railers in the same season. Eamon McAdam and Alex Sakellaropoulos have both played for and against Worcester but not in the same season. … The Railers will get five days of rest, their longest time off of 2022. When they return to action they will be back in the division and back at the DCU Center playing Adirondack Saturday night at 7:05 and at 1:05 on Super Bowl Sunday. … Attendance was 2,763.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: