Today in Worcester hockey history: February 21


1995 at St. John’s 4-3 loss
The Worcester IceCats had some travel issues caused by a blizzard hitting eastern Canada and it showed in a poor third period as the Maple Leafs would go to win 4-3. Denis Chalifoux scored twice for the IceCats, once in the first period and once in the third. Ross Wilson scored at 3:17 of the third to tie the game 3-3, but Patrik Augusta scored the eventual game winner at 8:56. Wayne Cowley made 38 saves for the ‘Cats.

1997 at Adirondack 3-2 win
The Worcester IceCats got two third period goals to defeat the Red Wings 3-2. Mike Maneluk had the first goal of the opening period at 1:23, assisted by Kevin Hilton and Terry Virtue. Stephen Sangermano tied it for Adirondack at 4:29. Neither team scored in the middle period, and Maneluk connected again at 5:14 to give the ‘Cats the lead. Chad Dameworth and Hilton had the helpers on the play. Mike Knuble answered for the Red Wings 24 seconds later when he took advantage of a misplay by the Worcester defense. But Jamal Mayers would answer right back at 6:33, assisted by Virtue and Bob Lachance. Mike Buzak, who had 20 saves in the game, made that lead stand up.

2001 vs Portland 4-0 win
(AP) Dwayne Roloson made 29 saves to post his league-leading fourth shutout of the season as the Worcester IceCats beat the Portland Pirates. Mark Rycroft had two goals, and Mike Peluso and Pascal Rheaume each put up goals for the IceCats, who have won five straight. Roloson has had two straight shutouts on home ice and has not been scored on in 147:16 in that span. It was a 1-0 game after one period. Rycroft gave Worcester an insurance goal at 4:07 of the second period, beating Corey Hirsch on a breakaway. Peluso, Rheaume and Rycroft again scored in the final period.

2003 at Springfield 2-1 win OT
(FALCONS) Chris Corrinet of the IceCats scored late in the first but then Corey Foster scored late in the second period to tie the game at one goal apiece. The game headed to overtime thanks to the goaltending of Evgeny Konstantinov, who stopped 28 of 30 shots, and Curtis Sanford, who stopped 31 of 32 shots. In overtime Greg Day scored the game-winner with 52 seconds left in the extra period.

2004 at Hartford 2-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats couldn’t get one past Wolf Pack netminder Jason LaBarbera in a 2-0 loss for the ‘Cats. Layne Ulmer scored for Hartford at 12:16 of the middle period, and Cory Larose made it 2-0 1:32 into the third period. LaBarbera would finish the game with 23 saves. Kirk Daubenspeck made 24 saves for the loss in his only appearance for Worcester.

2007 at Lowell 3-0 loss
(DEVILS) Aaron Voros scored two goals and Scott Clemmensen made 35 saves for the Lowell Devils (26-22-5-2) in a 3-0 shutout victory over the Worcester Sharks (25-21-3-6) on Wednesday night at Tsongas Arena. Lowell was behind the eight ball early in the game being outshot early and going shorthanded for a five-minute major penalty. But Clemmenson, who was assigned to Lowell for conditioning by New Jersey earlier in the day, was equal to the task. Desp! ite the Devils trailing in shots 14-4, they led on the scorebo! ard afte r one. Voros netted his seventh of the season at 14:23 to make it 1-0 after 20 minutes. In the second period Clemmensen continued to play strong. He kicked out 13 more shots in the middle frame, while the Devils extended the lead. Voros shoveled in his second of the night during a goalmouth scramble to make it 2-0 at 16:01. The third stanza turned into a defensive battle, with only two total shots through the first nine minutes of the period. The clock clicked down inside the final three minutes, as the Sharks pulled netminder Thomas Greiss for an extra attacker. It backfired when Ryan Murphy fired home his 11th of the season into the open net to seal the win. Mike Pandolfo picked up his first point as a Devil with an assist on the goal. The win, which was the quickest game of the season for Lowell at just one hour, 58 minutes, moved the Devils into a tie with Worcester for fourth place in the Atlantic Division with 59 points.

2009 vs Providence 4-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) After a three week, seven game road trip that ended with a 2-1 overtime win in Springfield Friday night, the Sharks finally returned home to host the division leading Providence Bruins in front of a crowd of fire, police, and military personnel on “Heroes Night” at the DCU Center. The Sharks homecoming would not be as sweet as they anticipated as they fell 4-2 to the Bruins in front of 7,008 fans. The Sharks and Bruins played a high tempo first period that got heated when Sharks defenseman Mike Moore drilled Colin Hemingway with an open ice check. Adam McQuaid challenged Moore and the two dropped the gloves at 17:02. Both connected with several right hands as Moore dropped McQuaid down at center ice. After many scoring threats by both squads the score remained tied 0-0 at the conclusion of the period. The second stanza opened with a Providence goal as Zach Hamill fired a changeup that trickled under the pads of Worcester goaltender Taylor Dakers to give the Bruins a 1-0 lead. The goal was assisted by Jeremy Reich and Mikko Lehtonen at 00:53. The Bruins added to their lead with a blister from Brad Marchand that found its way between the armpit of Dakers and gave the Bruins a 2-0 advantage at 8:24. The goal was assisted by Colin Hemingway and Ned Lukacevic. The Sharks would not leave the period without lighting the lamp themselves as Jamie McGinn cleaned up a rebound off the shot of Lukas Kaspar at 11:32. McGinn’s 17th goal of the season, a power play goal, cut the lead to 2-1. The shots on goal through two periods were 18-17, in favor of Worcester. The Sharks would even the score at 2:25 in the third period as McGinn stood next to the net in anticipation of a one-timer feed from Steven Zalewski to tie the game 2-2. McGinn’s second goal of the game, 18th of the season, was assisted by Steven Zalewski and Matt Fornataro. The goal also extended McGinn’s goal scoring streak to four games. Providence was quick to retaliate with a goal from Reich at 2:46 to give Providence a 3-2 lead. Reich’s 16th goal of the season was assisted by Matt Lashoff and Lehtonen. Following the goal, Worcester substituted goaltenders as Thomas Griess replaced Dakers between the pipes. The Bruins iced the victory with an empty net goal by Jordan Knackstedt at 19:53 and brought the final score to 4-2. The loss drops Worcester’s record to 28-25-0-2 with 58 points through 55 games played.

2012 at Syracuse 4-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks fired 44 shots on goal but only scored twice as the Sharks finished their four game road trip with a 1-3-0-0 record after 4-2 loss to the Syracuse Crunch at the Onondaga County War Memorial at Oncenter on Tuesday night. Tyson Sexsmith made 22 saves in goal for Worcester while Tim Kennedy and Brian O’Hanley scored for Worcester in the loss. The Sharks came out flying in the first period outshooting the Crunch 7-0 early on but could not find the back of the net behind goaltender Iiro Tarkki. Syracuse grabbed two goals late in the opening frame as John Mitchell (5th) scored an unassisted goal at 17:57 and Kyle Palmieri (29th) scored on a terrific rush and finish past Tyson Sexsmith at 18:31. The Sharks trailed 2-0 after 20 minutes. Worcester evened the score with two quick ones to open the middle frame. Tim Kennedy (6th) knocked in a loose rebound at 37 seconds on the power play and Brian O’Hanley (1st) scored another rebound strike at 1:27 past Iiro Tarkki to tie the score at 2-2. There were two scraps in the second period as Nathan Moon (9th FM) dropped the mitts against the much bigger Troy Bodie (10th FM) at 7:01 after Bodie sent Doherty flying with a knee check, and Mike Moore (4th FM) fought J.F. Jacques (6th FM) at the end of the period which led to a two man advantage for the Sharks. Worcester held a 27-15 advantage through 40 minutes of play in a tied game. The Sharks could not convert on a 5-on-3 power play to begin the third period as the score remained tied 2-2. Taylor Doherty (4th FM) fought Troy Bodie (11th) at 5:47 in an entertaining bout at 5:47 but the Crunch took control soon after as Andrew Gordon (3rd) sent a wrap around try past Sexsmith at 6:36 after the Sharks goaltender made several nice saves. Kyle Palmieri (30th) gave Syracuse an insurance goal skating out of the left corner and sending a high shot into the net from in close to give the Crunch a 4-2 lead. Worcester fired17 more shots on goal in the final frame but came up short 4-2. Worcester’s record falls to 24-18-4-5 (57pts in 51gp) and 12-9-4-3 away from the DCU Center.

2014 vs St. John’s 5-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (23-23-3-1, 50pts) dropped a 5-1 contest to the St. John’s IceCaps (30-19-1-3, 64pts)before 3,509 fans as the Sharks returned home to the DCU Center Friday evening for the first time since Feb. 1st. Worcester’s Sena Acolatse scored the sole goal for the Sharks in the game while Troy Grosenick allowed four goals on 21 shots before he was replaced by Harri Sateri at the 8:02 mark of the second period. Carl Klingberg scored back-to-back in the first period for the IceCaps while Jason Jaffray, Blair Riley and Kyle MacKinnon accounted for St. John’s three second period goals. Michael Hutchinson made 33 saves as Worcester dropped their season high 4th straight game in regulation and have been outscored 22-3. The first 20 minutes of play concluded with the Sharks behind two goals as the IceCaps converted twice in the period to take a 2-0 lead. The IceCaps’ Carl Klingberg accounted for both goals. The first came 13:47 into the period when Eric O’Dell and Klingberg attacked the Sharks’ net in a 2-on-1 play. Klingberg (14th) tipped O’Dell’s pass above Troy Grosenick, who was down on the ice in attempt to make the save. Klingberg’s second tally of the night resulted at 17:20, when Grosenick made a right pad save on Zach Redmond’s bullet from the point. Klingberg (15th) then cleaned up the garbage and buried the rebound into the net solidifying St. John’s 2-0 lead for the period. Shots were 16-14 in favor of the IceCaps. The second period ended with the Sharks trailing 5-1 after a lone Worcester goal and three St. John’s goals. The IceCaps opened the scoring just 2:17 into the period when Jason Jaffray (15th) took an off-angled shot from the lower right side of the Sharks defensive zone that squeaked by Grosenick. The Sharks answered just over a minute later on a power play, at 3:41. Sena Acolatse (5th) took a wicked wrister from the point that found its way through both the IceCaps defense and Hutchinson, who was screened in front. After a few minutes of back-and-forth play, St. John’s netted two more insurance goals within 50 seconds of each other, and with Worcester making a goalie change between the two. The first, occurred at 8:02 on a fast break down the ice by Blair Riley (4th) right after a Sharks power play expired. The proceeding unfolded at 8:52 with Harri Sateri between the pipes, when the IceCaps cycled the puck in their offensive end until Kyle MacKinnon (6th) sent the puck into the left side of the net. Shots for the second were 11-7, with Worcester having the edge over St. John’s.
The third period did not account for any goals from either side, as the score remained 5-1 from beginning to end. Sateri remained in net for the Sharks and blocked away all eight of the IceCaps shots on goal while Hutchinson pushed aside all nine of Worcester’s attempts, keeping the period scoreless. The Sharks’ overall record slumps to 23-23-3-1, 50pts and 12-10-0-1, 25pts at home.

2015 vs Norfolk 4-3 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (28-17-4-2, 62pts) topped the Norfolk Admirals (21-26-3-3, 48pts) for the second consecutive night in front of 5,286 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday evening during Heroes Night, presented by Unum to benefit Habitat for Humanity. During the game, Sharks’ players sported camouflage jerseys, as all military, police and fire, and first responders received complimentary tickets to the AHL hockey action. Four Worcester players scored, including Matt Taormina (1-0-1, + 1), Ryan Carpenter (1-1-2, +1), Willie Coetzee (1-0-1, 0), and Trevor Parkes (1-0-1, +1) in the 4-3 victory over Norfolk. Troy Grosenick started in his first game since the 17th of January, picking up his 16th win and making 26 saves on 29 shots. The Sharks have won eight of their last nine games on home ice. Worcester is 3-1-0-0 against Norfolk, as this marks their last game against the Admirals this season. Norfolk began the scoring at 9:40 of the first period when forward Charles Sarault (4th) ripped a slapshot from the left circle on a breakaway that snuck over the stick of Worcester’s goaltender Troy Grosenick, giving the Admirals a 1-0 lead. The Sharks would answer at the 15:33 mark when Sharks’ defenseman Matt Taormina (8th) fired the puck from the left point to knot the game at 1 a side. With just over two minutes left in the first frame, a multi-player skirmish broke out in front of the Admirals’ net after Norfolk’s defenseman Andrew O’Brien high-sticked Worcester’s veteran forward John McCarthy, resulting in penalties for both sides. Grosenick made 9 saves on the 10 shots that he saw as Worcester outshot Norfolk 12-10. The score remained 1-1 heading into the first intermission. Worcester took a 2-1 lead at the 4:51 mark of the second period when right winger Ryan Carpenter (9th) unleashed a backhander after a solid feed from McCarthy, beating the sprawling Admirals’ netminder, Jason LaBarbera. That would be the lone goal of the period as the Sharks outshot the Admirals 11-9 in the second frame, holding the 2-1 lead through forty minutes. The Admirals tied the game up at 8:49 of the third period when William Karlsson fed the puck across the slot to Stefan Noesson (2nd), who beat Grosenick glove side to even the score at 2. At 13:16 of the third period, Worcester regained the lead when Willie Coetzee (6th) ripped the puck from the top of the right circle, finding the back of the net to make it 3-2. Forty-three seconds later, the Sharks would add an insurance goal when Trevor Parkes (3rd) pushed one past LaBarbera in front of the net to make it 4-2 Worcester. Admirals’ defenseman Mark Fistric (1st) got Norfolk within one after he slung one past Grosenick from the top of the right circle to make it 4-3 Sharks. The Sharks would hold on for the 4-3 victory, outshooting the Admirals 32-29 in the game, as Grosenick made 26 saves, earning his 16 win of the season in his return. The Sharks overall record improves to 28-17-4-2, 62pts and 16-7-2-1, 35pts at the DCU Center this season.

2018 at Adirondack 4-3 win SO
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (23-21-4-3, 53pts) trailed 2-1 after 40 minutes of play but bounced back to defeat the host Adirondack Thunder (29-20-2-3, 63pts) by the score of 4-3 in the shootout in front of 2,369 fans at the Cool Insuring Arena on Thursday evening. Yanick Turcotte, Ben Masella, and Jeff Kubiak scored for Worcester and Tommy Kelley scored the game winner in the shootout in the victory. Mitch Gillam made 37 saves in net for his 10th win of the season as the Railers improved to 2-1-0-1 on their season long seven game road trip. Worcester had a sluggish start in the first period and trailed 1-0 after 20 minutes of play. Defenseman Nolan Kaiser (1st) scored his first ECHL goal with a wrist shot from the center point that snuck through goaltender Mitch Gillam at 3:14. Gillam stood strong the rest of the period as he made 15 saves as the Worcester was outshot 16-4. Yanick Turcotte (1st) scored his first professional goal in his 45th professional game after a 2-on-1 rush and great shot from 30 feet with Chris Langkow and Kyle McKenzie assisting at 2:55 of the 2nd period to tie the score at 1-1. Worcester controlled the first 15 minutes of the 2nd frame, but Adirondack answered back at 18:29 with a goal mouth scramble goal by Andrew Radjenovic (6th) to retake the lead. Railers trailed 2-1 after 40 and the Thunder led in shots with a 26-17 advantage. The Railers scored twice in a 1:20 spell early in the third period to grab a 3-2 lead as Ben Masella (2nd) at 3:02 and Jeff Kubiak (9th) at 4:22 scored on goaltender Tomas Sholl. But the Thunder would tie the score on the power play as Matthew Spencer (1st) buried a one-timer feed from 45 feet. Shots were 11-8 in favor of the Thunder in the third period as the game headed to overtime tied 3-3. Both teams had a few chances in overtime, including a Railers power play late but neither team would find the back of the net in the five-minute session. Barry Almeida and Terrence Wallin were the only two shooters to score in the first three rounds before Tommy Kelley won the game for the Railers in the 4th round of the shootout.

2020 at Greenville 4-2 Win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (18-32-3-0, 39pts) played game number three of their five game ten day road trip and ended their nine game losing streak with a 4-2 win over the Greenville Swamp Rabbits (24-27-3-1, 52pts)in front of 3,792 fansat the Bon Secours Wellness Arena on Friday evening.The Railers will square off against the Greenville Swamp Rabbits tomorrow night at 7:35pm. The Railers trailed 1-0 through 40 minutes of play but scored four goals in the third period from Drew Callin (1-1-2), Nic Pierog (1-0-1), Ben Thomson (1-0-1), and Myles McGurty (1-0-1) for the come from behind victory while Evan Buitenhuis made 29 saves in net for the win. Matt Marcinew (1-0-1) and Michael Pelech (1-0-1) scored goals for Greenville while Jeremy Helvig made 39 saves in net for the loss. Through the first 20 minutes of play both teams had their chances and each team had a power-play but neither team would find the back of the net in the first frame. Worcester led in shots 16-9 through the first period of play. The second period was filled with minor penalties, nine to be exact, and the only goal of the frame would come off the stick of Matt Marcinew (13th) when he ripped a shot off from the right circle over the left shoulder of Evan Buitenhuis at 5:03 to give Greenville a 1-0 lead. Worcester outshot Greenville 14-10 in the middle stanza but trailed 1-0 through 40 minutes of play. The Railers would tie the game in the third period at 4:37 when Drew Callin (11th) finished off a rebound effort in the crease which was sent to the blue paint from behind the net courtesy of Ross Olsson. Nic Pierog (21st) sent a long range shot off the backboard from center ice that banked off the back wall then off the back of netminder Jeremy Helving into the back of the net to give Worcester a 2-1 lead. Ben Thomson (5th) would score a dandy of a goal with great patience tucking one past Helvig in the crease to increase the Worcester advantage to 3-1 at 15:50. Just 24 seconds later Greenville would answer to make it a 3-2 game this time from Michael Pelech (13th). Myles McGurty (2nd) would add an insurance goal for Worcester with just 1:34 to play in regulation and his first as a Railer would hand Worcester a 4-2 victory. Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Matt Marcinew (1-0-1) 2nd star: Nic Pierog (1-0-1) 1st star: Drew Callin (1-0-1)…. final shots were 43-31 in favor of Worcester …. Jeremy Helvig (13-14-3) made 39 saves on 43 shots for Greenville…. Evan Buitenhuis (12-18-1) made 29 saves on 31 shots for Worcester while Jakub Skarek as the backup….Worcester went 0-for-5 on the power play while Greenville went 1-for-4…., JD Dudek (IR), Kyle Thomas (IR), Yanick Turcotte (IR), Tanner Pond (IR), Dylan Sadowy (IR), Arnaud Durandeau (INJ), Bryce Nielsen, Connor Doherty, Jack Stander and Ian Milosz did not dress for Worcester…. Mike Cornell and Linus Soderstrom are all with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers…. Justin Murray has now played in 43 straight games…. The win for Worcester was there first since January 25th…. Myles McGurty scored his first goal as a Railer and finished the night +1 with three shots…. The four goal third period from Worcester was the most goals scored in a period this year…. Prior to the game the Railers were just 2-25-1 when trailing after two periods and just 1-13-0 on the road…. It was the second straight game the Railers had 40 plus shots and the seventh time this season…. Jack Macnee extended his point streak to two games with an assist… Nic Pierog finished with a game high seven shots…. Worcester has 19 games left on the regular season…. The Railers are 0-for-39 on the power-play in their last 11 games…. The Railers are now 3-1-0-0 all-time vs. the Swamp Rabbits and 2-1-0-0 at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.

2022 at Utah 5-4 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (20-20-2-1, 43pts) fell to the Utah Grizzlies (30-17-2-1, 63pts), on Monday afternoon by the final score of 5-4 in front of a crowd of 3,450 at the Maverik Center. The Railers are at Idaho Central Arena to take on the Idaho Steelheads on Wednesday, February 23rd at 9:10 p.m. EST. The Railers held the lead three separate times against the Grizzlies throughout the afternoon. Jordan Lavallee-Smotherman (1-0-1) was the lone skater in the first period to find the back of the net, giving Worcester a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission. Utah came out and tied the game quickly in the second, but the Railers were able to respond thanks to goals from Liam Coughlin (1-1-2) and Blake Christensen (1-1-2), giving the team a 3-1 lead midway through the second. Utah was able to record a pair of their own, and tied the game 3-3 going into the second break. Jacob Hayhurst (1-1-2) quickly gave Worcester back the lead, but it was two late goals from Utah which proved to be the difference, as the game would end in a 5-4 Grizzlies victory. The captain, Jordan Lavallee-Smotherman (22nd) opened up scoring with his team leading 22nd goal of the season. Lavallee-Smotherman received a feed from Liam Coughlin and one-timed it past Grizzlies goalie Peyton Jones to give Worcester the 1-0 lead 10:35 into the first. Jacob Hayhurst on the Grizzlies powerplay thought he had his second shorthanded goal in as many games, but a goalie interference call on the rush ended up calling the goal back, keeping the game at a 1-0 score. The Railers ran the pace of play in the period, outshooting Utah 13-6. Utah responded quickly in the second period as Ben Tardif (9th) buried a quick shot from the left side just 1:55 into the frame to tie the game. Worcester came back five minutes later and retook the lead thanks to Liam Coughlin (7th) who deflected a wrister from Matt Sredl on the power play to make it a 2-1 game. Worcester extended their lead to 3-1 as Blake Christensen (10th) flew down the left side and elevated a puck over the shoulder of Jones just in front of the net with 7:47 left in the second. The first-place team in the mountain division wouldn’t stand down, as the Grizzlies scored two goals just 1:12 apart from one another to tie the game late in the period. First it was Quinn Ryan (12th) with his second of the three-game set, as he deflected a wrist shot in front from Miles Gendron along the far side. Then, Zac Robbins (8th) slapped home a messy rebound out in front to tie the game 3-3 with just 3:09 remaining in the second. Neither team scored during the rest of the frame, as the teams would head into the locker rooms deadlocked 3-3. Shots favored Worcester 16-12 for the period, and 29-18 through 40. It didn’t take Worcester long to take the lead for the third time of the afternoon in the third period. Jacob Hayhurst (10th) was set up beautifully by Ross Olsson 1:27 into the period to make it 4-3 Railers. Utah stormed back to tie the game for the third time as Luka Burzan (6th) found the puck backdoor on the rebound and potted it to tie the game 4-4. The Grizzlies would take their first lead of the afternoon with 3:05 to go in regulation. Miles Gendron (1st) received a drop pass from Mason Mannek and rifled one high glove side on Ellis to put Utah ahead 5-4. Despite a flurry of opportunities within the final minute with Ellis pulled, the Railers couldn’t get past Jones and the Grizzlies’ defense and fell by a final score of 5-4. Shots in the period favored Worcester 18-15, for a game total of 47-33 in favor of the Railers. Notes: Three Stars: 3rd Star: Mason Mannek (0-4-4, +4, 6 shots), 2nd Star: Luka Burzan (1-1-2, +4, 3 shots), 1st Star: Miles Gendron (1-1-2, GWG, +2, 4 shots)… Final shots were 47-33 in favor of Worcester… Peyton Jones (12-5-1) made 43 saves on 47 shots for Utah… Colten Ellis (11-4-2) made 28 saves on 33 shots for Worcester, while Jimmy Poreda served as the backup… Worcester went 1-for-2 on the power play while Utah went 0-for-2… Will Cullen (DNP), Ethan Price (DNP), Cole Coskey (DNP), John Furgele (IR), Bobby Butler (IR), and Grant Jozefek (IR) did not dress for Worcester… Blake Christensen led the Railers in shots with 10… The Railers are now 4-1-1-0 all-time vs. the Grizzlies and 3-1-1-0 at the Maverik Center against Utah.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: