Today in Worcester hockey history: March 2


1995 vs Adirondack 7-6 win
The Worcester IceCats and Adirondack Red Wings played a see-saw affair that saw Shawn Heaphy scoring the game winner with 40 seconds left in regulation to earn the 7-6 win. The goal was Heaphy’s second of the contest. Jim Nesich also had two goals, and Terry Virtue, Jarrett Deuling, Denis Chalifoux, Mark Ouimet, and Ross Wilson all notched two assists. Blair Atcheynum, Dave Baseggio, and Cal McGowan all added goals for the IceCats, with Jason Widmer and Sean Whyte both having an assist in the game. Wayne Cowley had an assist and made 29 saves in the game.

1996 vs Portland 4-2 loss
The Worcester IceCats and Portland Pirates were tied after forty minutes, but two third period strikes by the Pirates put the game in the loss column for Worcester. Craig Darby got the ‘Cats on the board with a power play goal 2:47 into the opening period. Sergei Kharin and J.J. Daigneault. Martin Gendron tied it for the Pirates at 1:11 of the middle period, and Stefan Ustorf gave Portland the lead with a shorthanded goal at 7:40. Sergei Kharin made it 2-2 at 18:42, with Daigneault and Derek Armstrong providing the assists. But Gendron would get the eventual game winner 57 seconds into the third period while the Pirates were on a five on three power play, and Jay Mazur put the game out of reach with a goal at 18:22. Ron Tugnutt made 39 saves for Portland while Mike Buzak had 20 in the loss for the ‘Cats.

1997 vs Saint John 4-0 win
The Worcester IceCats got three second period goals and 16 saves from Mike Buzak in a 4-0 blanking of the Flames. There were no goals in the first period, and it took until the 9:57 mark of the second before the red light would go on when Mike Maneluk connected after a give and go with Rob Pearson. Marquis Mathieu earned the secondary assisted with a hand pass to Pearson in the defensive zone. At 14:29 Chris Kenady made it 2-0 when he and Bob Lachance also played some give and go. Konstantin Shafranov had the secondary helper, only he used his stick to get the point. Pearson would make it a three goal game when he deflected Rory Fitzpatrick’s blast just under the crossbar and in. Jamie Rivers had the other assist on the goal. In the third Lachance made it 4-0 when he tipped River’s blast into the net. Kenady also earned a point on the power play goal at 5:42.

2001 at Lowell 4-2 loss
(TICKER) Marcel Cousineau turned aside 40 shots as the Lowell Lock Monsters defeated the Worcester IceCats, 4-2. Cousineau stopped all 27 shots he faced over the first two periods as Lowell built a 3-0 lead on goals by Rich Brennan, Nate Miller and Andreas Lilja. Cousineau improved to 2-0-1 in his last three starts. Miller finished with a pair of goals and Lilja had a goal and an assist for the the Lock Monsters, who improved to 3-1-1 in their last five contests and 2-2-0 versus Worcester this year. Andrej Troschinsky and Eric Boguniecki both scored a third-period power-play goal for the IceCats, who have dropped two straight. Dwayne Roloson, the AHL’s leading goaltender with a 2.16 goals against average entering the game, allowed three scores on 21 shots in a losing effort for Worcester.

2002 at St. John’s 5-1 loss
(ST JOHN’S) The Worcester IceCats exploded for 51 shots last night, but they weren’t enough as the St. John’s Maple Leafs completed a two-game AHL sweep of the visitors with a 5-1 victory at Mile One Stadium. Rookie Swedish goalie Mikael Tellqvist was outstanding for St. John’s, turning aside 50 shots to stretch his personal unbeaten streak to eight games (4-0-4). Tellqvist made 34 saves Friday night in the Leafs’ 4-2 win over Worcester, his first start since returning from the Olympics in Salt Lake City, where he was Team Sweden’s third goaltender. Nathan Dempsey led St. John’s with a pair of goals, while Alexei Ponikarovsky, Bobby House and Donald MacLean had one each. Blake Evans scored for Worcester. Last night was a complete turnabout from Friday’s game, when the Leafs pressured the IceCats from the outset, scoring two goals in the first 10 minutes before Worcester came back with two of its own. Last night, it was the IceCats’ turn to control play early. Worcester owned the first period, outshooting St. John’s, 22-7, but managing only Evans’ goal, his third of the season. It came on a nice passing play with Justin Papineau. The floodgates opened in the second as the Leafs scored four unanswered goals. They added an insurance goal at 5:59 of the third. The IceCats lost newcomer and ex-Boston Bruin Joe Hulbig early in the game when he collided knee on knee with Dempsey. Granato said Hulbig was checked out by St. John’s doctors and wasn’t cleared to return. Hulbig joined Jame Pollock and Eric Nickulas on the sidelines with injuries. In addition to that, Worcester’s Eric Boguniecki, who leads the AHL with 34 goals and 75 points, is on recall to St. Louis. Reinhard Divis made 20 saves for the IceCats.

2003 vs Hartford 3-3 tie
(ICECATS) WORCESTER, MA – Chris Corrinet scored twice in the final four minutes of regulation to tie the game at 3-3 and secure a point for the Worcester IceCats in Sunday’s game versus Hartford. The Wolf Pack took a 2-0 advantage out of the first period on goals by Roman Lyashenko and Layne Ulmer. They held that advantage until Worcester’s Sergei Varlamov netted his 21st goal of the season on the power play at 15:17 of the second. The Pack regained a two-goal lead on Cory Larose’s 20th goal at 13:16 of the third, but Corrinet’s heroics forced overtime. The Massachusetts off-season resident muscled in for his third goal of the season at 16:08. He connected again to tie the game in dramatic fashion just 2:25 later. The crowd of 6,466 at Worcester’s Centrum Centre watched the Pack outshoot Worcester 6-1 in the final frame after the ‘Cats held the advantage in regulation 33-14.

2007 vs Providence 6-1 loss
(BRUINS) The Providence Bruins defeated the Worcester Sharks 6-1 Friday evening at the DCU Center. The P-Bruins got goals from Jeff Hoggan, Marco Rosa and two goals apiece for Petr Kalus and David Krejci. The P-Bruins scored only 2:08 into the game. Dwayne Zinger held the puck in the Sharks zone at the left point and sent it behind the net to David Krejci. He sent a pass to Hoggan, who was waiting right outside the crease. He put the puck on net and while it looked like Worcester net minder Thomas Greiss made the save, the puck trickled past him and into the net to give Providence a 1-0 lead. About five minutes later at the 7:14 mark the P-Bruins opened up a 2-0 advantage. Pascal Pelletier sent a pass to Rosa, who was in the high slot. He buried the puck in the back of the net beating Greiss glove side. Nate Thompson had the second assist. The P-Bruins continued to extend their lead in the second period. At the 12:07 mark, Providence goaltender Hannu Toivonen made a save and Mark Stuart controlled the puck. He sent it up ahead to Krejci, who skated into the Sharks zone and from the high slot blasted the puck past Greiss and into the net. Providence went into the second intermission with a 4-0 lead after adding a power play goal at the 16:23 mark. Two seconds after a 5-on-3 opportunity expired Kalus snuck the puck past Greiss for his 11th goal of the season. Krejci and Matt Lashoff recorded the assists. In the third period the Sharks got on the board when they were awarded a penalty shot only eleven seconds into the period. Grant Stevenson scored the goal to cut the P-Bruins lead to 4-1. Providence answered back with Kalus’ second power play goal of the evening with Ryan Lang and Stuart grabbing the assists. The P-Bruins wrapped up the scoring at the 5:33 mark with a shorthanded goal scored by Krejcj. He put home a rebound off a shot from Hoggan. Toivonen stopped 18 of 19 shots for the P-Bruins, while Greiss made 16 saves and Dimitri Patzold stopped 16 shots for the Sharks. Providence was 2 for 8 on the power play, while Worcester went 0 for 3 on the man-advantage.

2008 vs Norfolk 5-4 win
(WORSHARKS) Following an intense, physical two game series in Virginia just two weeks ago, the Worcester Sharks expected that Sunday afternoon’s contest against the Norfolk Admirals would be one to remember. Sharks forward Mike Iggulden certainly won’t forget it anytime soon. Iggulden scored three goals and assisted on another while leading the Sharks to a 5-4 victory over Norfolk at the DCU Center. Worcester looked to set the tone early, as Craig Valette squared off with Norfolk’s Radek Smolenak just 19 seconds into the game. Valette connected on a pair of blows before dragging Smolenak down to the ice. The Admirals would take advantage of a concurrent hooking call on Sharks defenseman Derek Joslin, however, using the ensuing power play to take an early 1-0 lead. Adam Henrich led the Norfolk rush into the zone and left the puck for defenseman Mario Scalzo above the right circle. Scalzo’s drive hit the body of Marek Kvapil and redirected past Sharks backstop Thomas Greiss. The goal was Kvapil’s first in 11 AHL appearances this year. Iggulden’s hot night began when he pulled the Sharks even midway through the period with an unassisted tally. After intercepting a pass in the Admirals defensive zone, Worcester’s leading scorer found himself unabated to Norfolk goaltender Jonathan Boutin. Iggulden hooked the puck around Boutin, and his shot caromed off the right post and then the leg of Boutin before inching slowly across the goal line. Two minor penalties on the Admirals over the final five minutes of the period led to two Sharks power play goals, as Worcester continued their power play hot streak of six goals in their last 19 chances heading into tonight. With Zybnek Hrdel in the box for hooking, Iggulden played a diagonal feed to Tom Cavanagh in the right circle, and Mink one-timed Cavanagh’s centering feed past Boutin from just beyond the crease. Mink’s 17th goal of the year extended Cavanagh’s point streak to six games and put Worcester in front, 2-1. A subsequent holding call to Scalzo gave Worcester another power play chance, and this time it was Nate Raduns who converted with the man advantage. Raduns wrapped tightly around the goal behind Boutin and banked the puck off the right skate of Boutin and into the net before the netminder could close down the near post. After 16 shots in the opening period, the Sharks managed just one very unusual shot on goal over the first ten minutes of the middle frame. Just over two minutes into the period, Mike Iggulden charged into the Norfolk zone and fired a shot off the mask of Boutin. The puck fluttered fifteen feet into the air before bouncing in the crease behind Boutin and rolling into the net, just beyond the reach of a diving Admirals defenseman. Iggulden finished off his hat trick at 12:26 of the second period to give Worcester a bulging 5-1 lead, beating Boutin on a crisp shot from 35 feet with the lone assist coming from Brennan Evans. Along with the three goals, the four points from Iggulden are also a game high for a Sharks player this season. Norfolk came charging back, however, scoring three goals on 13 third period shots to trim Worcester’s edge to a single goal. Five minutes into the period and with his team shorthanded, Admrials forward Bracken Kearns was denied by Greiss during an odd man rush, but Kearns controlled the rebound, wrapped around the net, and fired a shot off the body of Greiss and into the net from a tight angle. A few moments later, Henrich tapped home a loose puck just outside the crease at the 11:51 mark, and the score was 5-3. A holding call on Joslin combined with Norfolk pulling Boutin gave the Admirals two extra attackers in the closing moments. After Cavanagh just missed the empty net on one end, Blair Jones beat Greiss with a blue line rocket and pull Norfolk within one at 5-4. Worcester’s defense held strong for the final 33 seconds to give the Sharks their third win in the past four games.

2010 at Manitoba 3-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) T.J. Trevelyan scored his 17th goal of the season in the first period but the Moose rattled off three unanswered goals and Cory Schneider made 34 saves in net for Manitoba as the Sharks fell to the Moose 3-1 at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg, Manitoba on Tuesday night. The game marked the first ever for the Sharks in Canada. Logan Couture and Benn Ferriero added assists for Worcester and Alex Stalock made 16 saves in net for the Sharks as they dropped their third straight hockey game (0-2-0-1). The Sharks came out buzzing at the opening faceoff and with Lawrence Nycholat in the box for interference at 5:09, the Sharks’ T.J. Trevelyan (17th) fired a deflected puck after a shot by Logan Couture past Cory Schneider at 5:19 to give Worcester a 1-0 lead. Benn Ferriero also assisted on the play to push Trevelyan’s point streak to four games (4-2-6). Worcester outshot the Moose 11-7 in the first period of play and went into the locker room ahead 1-0. The Moose grabbed a 2-1 advantage with a pair of second period goals. All-Star Sergei Shirokov (19th) at 4:31 scored after a nice tip in front of Alex Stalock after a shot from the right point by Tom Galvin. Pierre-Cedric Labrie (5th) finished off a terrific 3-on-2 rush after the Sharks couldn’t strike on the power play. Steven Zalewski and Brandon Mashinter both had point blank backhanded chances denied by Cory Schneider at the end of the period. The Sharks trailed 2-1 after forty minutes of play. Worcester had several great opportunities to tie the game in the third period but Cory Schneider was stellar making 15 third period saves. Matt Pope (1st) added insurance with a rebound goal at 15:54 for a two goal Moose advantage to close out the scoring. Mike Moore and Guillaume Desbiens dropped the mitts after the final whistle with a toe-to-toe battle to set the tone for the game on Wednesday between the two clubs. Worcester’s record drops to 36-19-2-3 (77 points) and are still one point behind the first place Portland Pirates.

2013 at Portland 2-1 win SO
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (26-22-1-5, 58pts) defeated the division rival Portland Pirates (32-19-1-2, 67pts) by a score of 2-1 in the shootout on Saturday evening in front of 6,164 fans at the Cumberland County Civic Center. Harri Sateri was super with 37 saves for his 9th road win of the season and Marek Viedensky scored the only goal in the shootout for the Sharks. Sebastian Stalberg scored a first period power play goal as Worcester improved to 15-3-0-1 when they score a power play on the road. A fast moving chippy first period saw the Sharks strike with the only goal to take a 1-0 lead. Sebastian Stalberg (8th) banged home a loose rebound after goaltender Chad Johnson made a stop on Adam Comrie at 17:42. Worcester outshot Portland 14-10 through 20 minutes of play as Harri Sateri was strong in net. Phil Lane (8th) tied the score at 4:19 of the second period after a nice entry into the Worcester zone by Darian Dziurzynski. Lane one timed the across the crease pass past Sateri to even the score at 1-1. The Pirates had four consecutive power plays in the middle frame and outshot the Sharks 16-7 in the second period. Sateri was super in the third period with 12 more saves to force overtime. The Sharks outshot Portland 5-0 in overtime aided by a power play chance as the game went to the shootout. In the shootout, Marek Viedensky scored the only goal in the shootout at Harri Sateri turned aside all five Portland Pirate shooters for the 2-1 shootout victory. The Sharks overall record improves to 26-22-1-5 (58pts in 54gp) and 16-12-0-2 (34pts in 30gp) on the road this season.

2014 vs Springfield 2-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (24-27-3-1, 52pts) dropped a close contest to the Springfield Falcons (34-17-1-5, 74pts) 2-1 before 4,176 fans at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon. The game marked the opening ceremony of the 2014 Massachusetts Special Olympics where participants lit a torch to kick off the games during the first intermission. John McCarthy (2nd) netted Worcester’s only goal in the second period as the Sharks fell to the Falcons 2-1 at home. Both the first and third periods accounted for zero goals for either side, allowing Jack Skille (7th) and Jean-Francois Jacques (10th) second period goals to seal the game for Springfield and Jeremy Smith made 28 saves in net for the Falcons. The first period of action ended scoreless as neither team could break through the opposing goaltender. Worcester outshot Springfield 10-4 in the opening 20 minutes, with 10 different Sharks getting a chance on Falcons tender Jeremy Smith. Springfield’s offensive efforts were led by Austin Madaisky, who took two of the Falcons’ four shots, but Worcester’s Harri Sateri remained solid pushing all of them aside. The second period of play resulted in three goals and a 2-1 Springfield lead. The Falcons opened the game’s scoring at 3:29 when Jack Skille (7th) split through two Sharks defenders as he sped down the left side and shot the puck past Sateri’s left. After keeping the offensive pressure on, Worcester evened the game with their lone goal of the second. At 12:18 John McCarthy (2nd) wheeled down the left after picking up a pass at the center line. On the 3-on-2 McCarthy found an opening to the left of Smith with a wrister, evening the game. The Falcons then regained their one-goal lead at 17:01 when Skille delayed a pass across the front of the net until Jean-Francois Jacques (10th) was open in the slot to finish the play. The clock expired with a bout between Bracken Kearns (4th FM) and Will Weber (4th FM), who dropped their gloves after the horn sounded. Worcester outshot Springfield 10-6 in the middle period. The third ended scoreless as well, allowing the Falcons to carry their one-goal lead through the end of the game. Worcester again outshot Springfield in the third with shots for the period at 9-1, but couldn’t get the puck to the back of the net. Though Sharks pulled Sateri with 54 seconds left and even took a time out with 37.2 seconds left to develop a play, they came up short in the end. The Sharks’ overall record falls to 24-27-3-1, 52pts and 12-12-0-1, 25pts at home.

2018 vs Wheeling 5-0 win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (25-23-4-3, 57pts) returned home after a season long seven game road trip and defeated the visiting Wheeling Nailers (29-23-6-0, 64pts) 5-0 in front of 3,769 fans at the DCU Center on Friday evening. Chris Langkow (1-2-3), Barry Almeida (1-1-2), and Nick Saracino (1-1-2) all had big nights for Worcester while Mitch Gillam made 30 saves in net for his third shutout of the season. TJ Syner and Ryan MacKinnon also scored for Worcester and Brock Beukeboom finished with a +5 rating in the dominating win. The Railers charged out to a 3-0 first period lead led by Chris Langkow’s three points (1-2-3) in the opening frame. Barry Almeida (18th) scored just 84 seconds in with a rush towards the top of the crease assisted by Chris Langkow and Nick Saracino. Chris Langkow (16th) scored on a semi-breakaway shorthanded opportunity at 6:09 to dazzle the crowd with a highlight reel goal past goaltender Matt O’Connor. Nick Saracino (8th) batted home a loose rebound to put Worcester ahead 3-0 at 11:25. Mitch Gillam made 10 first period saves as Worcester was outshot 10-6 but led 3-0 after 20 minutes of play. Mitch Gillam made 11 mores saves in the second period and TJ Syner (6th) gave Worcester a 4-0 lead at 18:47 as he fired home a Connor Doherty rebound into the net past the Wheeling netminder. The Railers had a 4-0 lead through 40 minutes and held a 22-21 shot advantage. Ryan MacKinnon (1st) scored his first professional goal with a seeing eye shot from the left point through a mess of skates and sticks at 7:52 to give the Railers a 5-0 lead in the third period. Mitch Gillam made nine more saves in the third period for his third shutout of the season as he made 30 total saves for his 12th win of the season.

2022 at Reading 3-2 SOL
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (22-20-3-2, 49pts) fell in a shootout to the Reading Royals (28-12-6-1, 63pts) on Wednesday night by the final score of 3-2 in front of a crowd of 2,054 at Santander Arena. The Railers return to the DCU Center for a home three-in-three weekend beginning Friday, March 4th vs. the Reading Royals at 7:05 p.m. Reece Newkirk (1-0-1) extended his point streak to three games while Brent Beaudoin (1-0-1) also scored for Worcester as Colten Ellis was outstanding once again in net making 31 saves on 33 shots. Three of the five goals were scored in the second period as the Royals took a 2-1 lead to the locker room after 40 minutes of play. Newkirk would tie things up at 2-2, 2:49 into the third as the game headed to overtime after 60 minutes. Worcester outshot Reading 5-1 in the overtime session but the two teams needed a shootout to decide the winner. Logan Flodell who made 39 saves in 41 shots stopped all three Worcester shooters while Anthony Gagnon scored the lone goal of the shootout to hand Reading the 3-2 shootout win. Scoring in the first was non-existent, as a tightly contested opening frame came to a 0-0 close. Reading got the only man-advantage of the period on a Nick Albano slashing call, but were unable to capitalize on the chance. Shots in the period favored Reading 10-11. Reading opened scoring first in the second period as Patrick Bajkov (18th) received a feed from Trevor Gooch and released a wrister past Ellis from the high slot, making it 1-0 Reading. 6:26 later, Brent Beaudoin tucked home a backdoor feed from Anthony Repaci as Repaci was wrapping around the net, tying the game 1-1 7:20 into the second. With 5:35 to go in the frame, Garrett Cockerill (2nd) on a 2-1 rush passed the puck cross ice to Brad Morrison, who then gave it right back to Cockerill whose stick was placed perfectly for a tap-in past Ellis, helping Reading to regain the 2-1 lead. Despite trailing heading into the break, shots in the second favored Worcester 17-9, and as the Railers outshot the Royals 27-20 through 40. For the second time on the night, the Railers would respond with the equalizing goal. Reece Newkirk (7th) lugged the puck from his own defensive zone all the way into the attacking end and blew a wrist shot past Royals goalie Logan Flodell to nod the game 2-2 just 2:49 into the period. Neither team were able to find the back again in the rest of the period, as the game went into overtime tied 2-2. Overtime was busy for the Railers, who outshot Reading 5-1 in the seven-minute frame. None of their bids were able to beat Flodell, as the game would be taken to its limit, and have to be finished in a shootout. It was the very first shot in the first round of the shootout which made the difference. Anthony Gagnon for Reading was able to beat Colton Ellis to give Reading the only goal which would be scored in the shootout frame. Brent Beaudoin, Reece Newkirk, and Cole Coskey for Worcester failed to beat Flodell, while Colten Ellis was able to stone Frank DiChaira and Patrick Bajkov for Reading after Gagnon’s initial bid, as Reading was able to skate away with the 3-2 shootout victory. Notes: Three Stars: 3rd Star: Anthony Repaci (0-1-1), +1, 3 shots), 2nd Star: Patrick Bajkov (1-0-1, 2 shots), 1st Star: Anthony Gagnon (shootout winner)… Final shots were 41-33 in favor of Worcester… Logan Flodell (5-4-0) made 39 saves on 41 shots for Reading… Colten Ellis (12-4-4) made 31 saves on 33 shots for Worcester, while Jimmy Poreda served as the backup… Worcester went 0-for-2 on the power play while Reading went 0-for-3… Will Cullen (DNP), Ethan Price (DNP), Connor McCarthy (INJ), Chris Ordoobadi (DNP), Bobby Butler (IR), and Grant Jozefek (IR) did not dress for Worcester… Reece Newkirk had a game high seven shots on net… Charlie Spetz played in his 28thconsecutive game… Nolan Vesey, Anthony Repaci, and Charlie Spetz all collected assists… The Railers are now 18-19-2-1 all-time vs. the Royals and 7-12-1-0 at the Santander Arena in Reading.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: