Today in Worcester hockey history: March 10


1995 at Cornwall 3-2 loss
(CORNWALL) As has been the case in many of their losses this season, a lack of offense doomed the Worcester IceCats last night. The IceCats, the lowest-scoring team in the American Hockey League, had just as many good scoring chances as the Cornwall Aces but had trouble finding the back of the net and dropped a 3-2 decision. “We had quite a few good scoring chances,” IceCats’ forward Sean Whyte said. “Garth Snow made some great saves for them.” He was one in a long list of hot goalies the IceCats have seen this year. “Well, we’ve been saying that all year, that we’ve been meeting a lot of hot goalies, but I think it’s a combination of good goaltending and us not scoring on our chances,” Whyte said. Cornwall has also been struggling offensively since the loss of leading scorer Dwayne Norris, who was called up by the Quebec Nordiques several weeks ago. After a scoreless first period, Cornwall opened the scoring 8:48 into the second. The goal, like all of the Aces scores last night, came on the power play. Craig Charron, playing in his first AHL game since being called up from the Dayton Bombers in the East Coast League, slapped a rebound under Worcester goalie Wayne Cowley. Worcester’s Shawn Heaphy tied the contest less than four minutes later, one-handing a shot over Snow. The IceCats went in front, 2-1, 5:39 into the third. Whyte, who played with the Aces last year, one-timed a pass from Martin Mercier high to the stick side of Snow. Then the Cornwall power play took over. With Worcester’s Rob Melanson off for cross-checking, Charron scored his second of the game, beating Cowley from just outside the crease at the 6:53 mark. Ed Ward scored the winner on another Cornwall power play. The goal came just before the midway mark of the third period as Ward deflected a point shot past Cowley. Cornwall went 3 for 4 with the man advantage, while the IceCats went 0 for 4.

1996 at Syracuse 5-4 win OT
The Worcester IceCats got a first period hat trick from Fred Knipscheer but still needed an overtime strike from Paul Broten to defeat the Syracuse Crunch 5-4. Knipscheer got the ‘Cats on the board at 2:54 of the opening period with a goal assisted by Ken Sutton and Terry Virtue. His second of the game made it 2-0 at 11:17, with Jamie Rivers getting the helper. Lonny Bohonos got the Crunch on the board at 15:58, but Knipscheer grabbed a power play tally at 18:09 to make it 3-1 Worcester after twenty minutes. J.J. Daigneault and goaltender Mike Buzak assisted on the play. Brian Loney scored at :49 of the middle period, and Jim Sandlak tied it for Syracuse at 5:09 of the third. Bohonos scored his second of the game at 17:28 to give Syracuse the lead. With an extra attacker on Alex Vasilevskii tied the game for Worcester at 19:03, with Lindsay Vallis and Rivers getting the assists. Into OT the teams went, where Broten connected at 2:17 from Jason Strudwick for the win. Buzak made 21 saves in Worcester’s first ever win in Syracuse.

1999 at Hartford 4-1 loss
(HARTFORD) The last time the Wolf Pack won two games in a row, they lost their next seven games. That won’t happen again if the team plays the way it did Wednesday night. The Wolf Pack did what they had to do, playing solid defense and scoring timely goals in a 4-1 victory over the Worcester IceCats before 5,134 at the Civic Center. Derek Armstrong had two goals and an assist for the Wolf Pack (30- 28-5). Bob Errey had a goal and two assists. Both players and linemate Ken Gernander were plus-three. Wolf Pack goalie Jean-Francois Labbe barely broke a sweat in making 28 saves. He lost his shutout when Geoff Smith scored a power-play goal to make 2-1 with 12:39 remaining. That was Worcester’s first shot of the period.

2000 at Albany 3-3 tie
(TICKER) Sylvain Blouin had two power-play goals and an assist for the Worcester IceCats, who skated to a 3-3 tie with the Albany River Rats. Blouin scored Worcester’s first goal midway through the opening period and notched the game-tying tally with 35 seconds left in the second. Cody Rudkowsky stopped 36 shots, including all 15 he faced in the third period and another three in overtime, for Worcester, which is winless in its last five games (0-3-2). Steve Kelly scored a power-play goal and a shorthanded tally in a 3:29 span of the first period to give Albany a 2-0 advantage. Stanislav Gron posted a goal and an assist and Frederic Henry made 33 saves for the River Rats, who have won just twice in their last 12 games (2-8-2).

2001 at Portland 5-2 win
(TICKER) Dwayne Roloson stopped 37 shots and Mike Peluso scored a pair of goals and added an assist as the Worcester IceCats defeated the Portland Pirates, 5-2. Roloson, who earned his last win against Portland on February 21st, turned aside 16 shots in both the first and third periods to pick up his league-leading 24th win, ending his personal six-game winless streak. Peluso broke a 2-2 tie with an even-strength goal with 7:16 left in the third period and would later add an empty-netter to cap the scoring. Dale Clarke added a pair of assists as Worcester improved to 5-3-0 versus the Pirates. Patrick Boileau netted a shorthanded goal and Matt Pettinger added a goal and an assist for Portland. Sebastian Charpentier stopped 23 shots in defeat to fall to 16-12-1.

2002 at Manchester 6-0 win
(MANCHESTER) Score one for composure. The IceCats kept theirs. The Manchester Monarchs did not. The result was a 6-0 IceCats win over the first-place team in the North Division of the American Hockey League. The IceCats, who have Hartford at home Wednesday and Bridgeport Friday and then come back here Saturday, pulled to within two points of the idle Lowell Lock Monsters and within four of the Monarchs. They bounced back admirably from a 2-1 home loss to Springfield Saturday night and did it behind the 26 saves of Reinhard Divis, a pair of goals from Marc Brown, and that composure. Largely the composure. The IceCats had an edge in shots halfway through what was shaping up as a great goalie duel. And then Trevor Baker, off a nice feed from Justin Papineau, moved in on Monarch goalie Marcel Cousineau. Cousineau made the first stop and the puck bounced in the air. Baker, in his eighth game up from Peoria, crashed the net and, either with his stick or glove, knocked the puck past Cousineau. And then the fun began. Cousineau argued immediately. Referee Harry Dumas conferred with his linesmen. “Trevor came over right away and said it went off the shaft of his stick,” said IceCats coach Don Granato. Didn’t matter what he hit it with, Cousineau said. “The puck was eight feet in the air,” he said. If Baker got a stick on it, the goal would be disallowed for having the stick too high, Cousineau felt. “I thought it was obvious,” Cousineau said. “I wasn’t worried.” Dumas made his decision and the goal stood. Cousineau, who had already thrown a punch at IceCat Ed Campbell, broke his stick across the left post and earned a 10-minute misconduct penalty. The only thing everyone agreed on was what happened next: The Monarchs unraveled. “They were adamant about that goal and they dwelled on it a little too long,” Campbell said. “We got the next one and kept building on it. We got the momentum.” Said Monarch captain Dane Jackson: “We didn’t deal with adversity very well.” Not well at all. Monarch defenseman Jason Holland tried to clear the puck around the boards and set up Brown pefectly. Brown fired a low shot that snuck past Cousineau and just 81 seconds after the disputed goal it was 2-0. Cousineau picked up a two-minute penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct when he ran into Campbell again as the period ended. The Monarchs said Campbell came off the bench and should not even have been on the ice after the period. The IceCats didn’t score on that power play, but then they scored on three straight. By the time the third period was 8 minutes and 16 seconds old, it was 5-0 and over. Andrei Troschinsky scored at 2:29 after another Monarch defender coughed up the puck. Then the IceCats got the three straight power-play goals from Mark Rycroft (at 6:10), Brown (at 8:16) and Daniel Tkaczuk (at 18:45). Divis had 17 saves in the second period, including key ones on Derek Bekar and Chris Schmidt in close, when it was every bit a game.

2004 at Hartford 2-1 OTL
The Worcester IceCats fired 37 shots on Hartford goaltender Steve Valiquette, but only managed to score once in a 2-1 overtime loss to the Wolf Pack. Alexandre Giroux gave Hartford the lead with a second period goal at 14:08. Blake Evans evened the score, with assists to Jeff Panzer and Mike Glumac, at 2:19 of the third. Despite firing 18 shots in the frame they couldn’t get another past Valiquette, and Chad Wiseman would score in the extra session at 2:43 to give the Wolf Pack the win. Curtis Sanford had 21 saves in the contest.

2007 vs Manchester 3-1 win
(MONARCHS) Left wing Matt Moulson scored the lone goal for the Manchester Monarchs as they dropped a 3-1 decision to the Worcester Sharks in front of 4,717 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Manchester (39-18-6-1) is leading the Atlantic Division with 85 points. Worcester (30-24-3-8) is tied for fourth place in the Atlantic Division with 71 points. The Sharks jumped out to a two-goal lead in the first period with tallies by center Tom Cavanagh and right wing Graham Mink. Cavanagh’s ninth goal of the season came at 6:52 of the opening frame when he broke in on Monarchs goaltender Barry Brust with linemate left wing Mathieu Darche. Cavanagh stole the puck from Monarchs right wing Tim Jackman at center ice and began the 2-on-1 rush with Darche. Opting to shoot the puck rather then pass, Cavanagh’s wrist shot from the left face-off circle snuck under Brust’s left arm for the 1-0 Sharks lead. Defenseman Patrick Traverse earned an assist on the play. On the power play, Mink made it 2-0 with his 20th goal of the season at 16:04 of the first period. Defenseman Scott Ferguson fired a shot from the left point that was tipped by center Mike Iggulden. Brust made the initial save but the rebound popped free and Mink was on the doorstep to jam the puck into the net. Moulson cut the Sharks lead in half with a power play goal, his 18th tally of the season, at 19:38 of the middle stanza. Defenseman Oleg Tverdovsky collected the puck at the right point and handed it off to center Marty Murray along the right wing boards. Murray turned and fed the puck to Moulson deep in the Sharks zone. Moulson sent a one-timer sailing past Worcester’s netminder Thomas Greiss for a 2-1 score. Left wing Lukas Kaspar added an insurance goal for the Sharks at 17:58 of the final period. Cavanagh sent a pass from behind the net out front to Kaspar. Mink skated to the front of the net to serve as a screen as Kaspar scored his eighth goal of the season. Brust took the loss with 34 saves. Greiss earned the win stopping 28-of-29 shots. Manchester went 1-for-2 on the power play. Worcester was 1-for-3 with the man advantage.

2010 vs Hartford 6-4 win
(WORSHARKS) It took five attempts, but the Sharks finally collected their first victory of the season against the Hartford Wolf Pack and did so in dramatic fashion as they came from behind to win, 6-4. T.J. Trevelyan provided the heroics, scoring with just under two minutes remaining in regulation. Trevelyan, a Wolf Pack nemesis all season, now has five goals against Hartford, including two on the night. Captain Ryan Vesce added a goal and an assist for the Sharks while Danny Groulx had an empty-net goal and was a +4 on the evening. The Sharks, who have had a tough time with the Wolf Pack this season, fell behind early. Hartford tallied first when Corey Potter (3) sent one through the glove of Frank Doyle from the right point. The lead did not last long though as Donald Brashear was sent off for hooking at the 7:48 mark. Worcester tied the game, 1-1, on the ensuing power play when Steven Zalewski (21) stuffed home a loose rebound in the crease. Zalewski’s team-leading tally was assisted by Derek Joslin. Hartford regained the lead 14:16 into the period when Potter (4) scored his second of the game as he blasted one through traffic past Doyle. Brodie Dupont and Corey Locke assisted on the goal that put the Wolf Pack on top, 2-1. The teams headed to locker room with Hartford up by that same, 2-1, margin. The Sharks outshot the Wolf Pack, 11-10. Hartford doubled their lead, 10:21 into the second period, when Locke found Dupont (13) at the top of the crease and he poked it home. However, the penalty box proved unkind once again for the Wolf Pack as they found themselves facing a 5-on-3 man advantage for Worcester. Although Hartford killed off one of the penalties, Vesce (12) took matters into his own hands and put his own rebound past Matt Zaba at the 14:32 mark to cut the Worcester deficit in half, 3-2. The period ended that way as the Wolf Pack controlled the shot total, 18-9. Staring their fifth loss in a row at the hands of the Wolf Pack square in the face, the Sharks came out flying in the third period. At the 7:26 mark, Andrew Desjardins (14) took a pass in the slot from Dan DaSilva and beat Zaba to tie the game, 3-3. John McCarthy also assisted on the goal. The hottest player on the ice statistically, Trevelyan (20), gave Worcester their first lead of the game at the 9:30 mark as he sniped one low, blocker-side past Zaba off a feed from Kevin Henderson. Trailing 4-3, Hartford tied the game; 13:03 into the period, as Potter’s shot was deflected past Doyle by Dale Weise (21). It would be the last time the game was tied though as Trevelyan (21) scored the eventual game-winner with just 1:45 left in regulation as he tipped home a hard Logan Couture pass into the back of the net. Groulx added a buzzer-beating, empty-net goal to cap the scoring and give Worcester the victory, 6-4. Hartford outshot Worcester, 10-7. Worcester’s record improves to 39-20-2-3 (83 points) and are currently in first place in the Atlantic Division, five points ahead of the idle Portland Pirates with 16 games remaining in the regular season.

2012 vs Providence 2-0 loss
(WORSHARKS) On a night the Sharks were honoring one of their most gifted goal scorers in franchise history; Logan Couture, with a bobble head doll, Bruins netminder Michael Hutchinson made 34 saves as the Sharks lost to the Providence Bruins 2-0 in front of 6,204 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Tyson Sexsmith was the tough luck loser with 28 saves in net for Worcester as the Sharks fell to .500 at home. The Sharks did pick up their 99th and 100th fighting major penalties in the tough loss to the Bruins. Neither team scored in a hard hitting first period as the Sharks outshot the Bruins 14-8 in the opening frame. Brandon Mashinter (6th FM) fought Nathan McIver (6th FM) in a spirited scrap at 10:32 for the only real excitement in the first 20 minutes. Kirk MacDonald (6th) gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead deflecting an Andrew Bodnarchuk shot from the point past Tyson Sexsmith at 12:25. During the goal celebration for the Bruins, a scrum broke out that resulted in Curt Gogol (16th FM) and Kevan Miller (8th FM) going toe-to-toe at center ice. The Sharks trailed 1-0 after 40 minutes as Michael Hutchinson had 22 saves. The Sharks couldn’t find the back of the net in the third period either as Hutchinson added 12 more saves for 2nd shutout of the season. Trent Whitfield (5th) sealed the deal with an empty net tally at 19:56 for the 2-0 Bruins win. Worcester’s record falls to 26-22-4-7, with 63pts and currently one point behind the Albany Devils for the 8th and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference with one game in hand.

2013 vs Portland 5-3 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (27-23-1-6, 61 points) extended their home point streak to four games (3-0-1) with a 5-3 victory over the Portland Pirates (33-21-3-2, 71 points) in front of 3,604 fans at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon. James Livingston, Bracken Kearns and Daniil Tarasov gave the Sharks an early 3-0 lead before the Pirates tied the score at 3-3 early in the third period. Marek Viedensky deflected home an Adam Comrie blast for the game winner early in the 3rd period and Bracken Kearns added an empty netter for his team leading 15th goal of the season. Harri Sateri made 29 saves for his 12th win of the season as the Sharks closed out their 12 game season series with the Pirates with three straight wins. The Sharks scored the only two goals of the first period to take a 2-0 lead. James Livingston (5th) received a nice feed from Curt Gogol that sprung him into the Portland zone, where he would make a great move to fight off defenseman Mathieu Brodeur and roof one over Portland’s Chad Johnson’s glove at 5:11 to give Worcester an early 1-0 lead. After a heavyweight fight between Joel Rechlicz (11th FM) and Jimmy Bonneau (8th FM) at 16:33, Rechlicz was assessed an additional unsportsmanlike penalty that gave the Sharks their first power play. Bracken Kearns (14th) tapped home his team leading 9th power play just six seconds later after Danny Groulx’s point shot missed the net and came back in front. Harri Sateri made a few highlight reel saves in the opening period as he stopped all 14 shots he faced to keep Portland scoreless after 20 minutes of play. Despite trailing 2-0, Portland held a 14 to 13 advantage in shots over Worcester. In the second period, Daniil Tarasov (8th) put back a rebound off a Nick Petrecki shot from the point to give the Sharks a 3-0 edge. Defenseman David Rundblad (7th) got the Pirates on the board at 11:14 with a blast from the point on the power play past Sateri to cut the Worcester lead to 3-1. The Sharks led 3-1 after 40 minutes despite the Pirates holding a 25-18 shot advantage through two periods. Portland would come out of the gate flying in the third period as they scored two goals in the first 93 seconds to tie the score at 3-3. Alexandre Bolduc (21st) and Jordan Martinook (6th) tied the score for Portland to stun the DCU Center crowd. But the Sharks came barreling back as Adam Comrie sent a blast from the blue line that was deflected by Marek Viedensky (3rd) past Chad Johnson at 1:57 for the eventual game winner. Bracken Kearns (15th) slid home an empty netter at 18:56 to seal the deal for the Sharks in a 5-3 win over the Pirates. The Sharks overall record improves to 27-23-1-6 (61pts in 57gp) and 11-10-1-4 (27pts in 26gp) on home ice this season.

2019 vs South Carolina 2-0 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (28-23-5-4, 65pts) had their season high five game win streak come to an end after a 2-0 loss to the visiting South Carolina Stingrays (28-28-5-0,61pts) in front of 3,535 fans at the DCU Centeron Sunday afternoon. With the loss, the Railers are now three points behind the Manchester Monarchs for the 4th spot in the North Division. Blake Wojtala made 23 saves in net in his professional start but the Railers were unable to generate any offense as Stingrays goaltender Parker Milner made 33 saves for his first shutout of the season. Ryker Killins and Tad Kozun scored goals for the Stingrays as Worcester fell to 0-3-0-0 all-time vs. South Carolina all-time. Yanick Turcotte (15thFM) dropped the mitts with former NHL tough guy Josh Gratton at 1:39 of the first period for a terrific fight to get both teams going early in the hockey game. South Carolina would net the only goal as rookie defenseman Ryker Killins (1st) scored his first professional goal with a shot from on top of the right circle that went off a Worcester body in front of the net and past netminder Blake Wajtala at 9:22. South Carolina held a 12-10 shot advantage through 20 minutes as the Railers trailed 1-0. Both teams had great chances in the second period by goaltenders Blake Wojtala and Parker Milner held their own in the middle frame. Yanick Turcotte hit the crossbar with about five minutes left as South Carolina headed into the locker room up 1-0 despite the Railers holding a 21-18 shot advantage. Tad Kozun sent a one-timer into the net from 30 feet at 12:48 of the third period to put South Carolina ahead 2-0. Worcester would put on a charge late and fire 12 more shots in the final frame but could not find the back of the net on goaltender Parker Milner as Worcester fell 2-0 on home ice to have their six-game point streak (5-0-1) come to an end.

2020 at Adirondack 5-4 Win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (21-36-4-0, 46pts) began a busy stretch of four games in six days and captured a 5-4 win over the Adirondack Thunder (22-28-8-5, 57pts) in front of 1,987 at the Cool Insuring Arena on Tuesday night. The Railers return home to the DCU Center on Friday, March 13thon 80’s Night presented by 104.5 WXLO hosting the Maine Mariners at 7pm. Brent Beaudoin (1-1-2) shined in his professional debut while Brennan Feasey (1-0-1) scored his first professional goal. Shane Walsh (1-2-3) and Tyler Poulsen (1-1-2) each recorded multi-point games while Evan Buitenhuis made 22 saves in net for the victory. Nick Hutchinson (1-1-2) scored his first professional goal while Kelly Summers (1-1-2) and Robbie Payne also had multi-point performances while Eamon McAdam made 18 saves in net for the loss. Midway through the first period James Phelan (3rd) split the Railers defensemen and in all alone wristed one low blocker by Evan Buitenhuis to give Adirondack a 1-0 lead at 9:56. Tyler Poulsen carried the puck into the Thunder end and sent a pass inside the right circle to Brent Beaudoin who found Brennan Feasey (1st) on the far side for his first professional goal to tie the game at 1-1 with 3:27 left in the frame. With just 1:54 left in the stanza Kelly Summers (9th) was able to hand back the lead to Adirondack this time 2-1. The Thunder took a 2-1 lead into the dressing room through 20 minutes of play as they outshot Worcester 10-7. Barreling down the left side Shane Walsh (14th) in his usual spot was able to fire one far side past the glove of Eamon McAdam to tie the score at 2-2 just 3:32 into the second period. Adirondack had two power-plays in the stanza but Worcester was perfect on the penalty kill and took their first lead of the game when Ross Olsson (12th) received a feed from behind the cage from Billy Vizzo and Olsson wasted no time snapping it off popping the water bottle off with 2:27 to play in the frame making it a 3-2 Worcester lead. The Railers led 3-2 through 40 minutes of play with shots even at 17-17. The Railers received goals fifteen seconds apart from one another in the opening minutes of the third period. First it was Tyler Poulsen (14th) on the power-play just 57 seconds in with a wrist shot from the top of the left circle to increase the Worcester lead to 4-2. Brent Beaudoin (1st) potted his first professional score finishing off a nice two on one with the pass coming from Shane Walsh at 1:12 to hand the Railers a 5-2 advantage. Worcester went on the powerplay at 3:53 and with just two seconds left in the power-play it would be the Thunder striking on short-handed coming courtesy of Casey Pierro Zabotel (24th) off a two on one rush cutting the Adirondack deficit down to 5-3 at 5:51. With 5:25 to play Nick Hutchinson (1st) swatted a puck out of midair to cut the Railers lead down to 5-4. The goal was reviewed for high sticking, but it would stand. Adirondack pulled McAdam with 1:47 to play in regulation but strong defense from the Railers allowed them to pull through for a 5-4 victory. Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Tyler Poulsen (1-1-2) 2nd star: Kelly Summers (1-1-2) 1st star: Brent Beaudoin (1-1-2, +2, 4 shots)…. final shots were 26-23 in favor of Adirondack …. Eamon McAdam (15-19-4) made 18 saves on 23 shots for Adirondack…. Evan Buitenhuis (14-19-1) made 22 saves on 26 shots for Worcester while Ian Milosz served as the backup…. Worcester went 1-for-2 on the power play while Adirondack went 0-for-3…., JD Dudek (IR), Kyle Thomas (IR), Yanick Turcotte (IR), Tanner Pond (IR), Barry Almeida (INJ), Ryan MacKinnon (Ill) and Mike Cornell (Personal) did not dress for Worcester…. Nic Pierog, Ben Thomson, Arnaud Durandeau, and Linus Soderstrom are all with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers…. Mike Cornell and his wife Kelli had their second child Monday night a baby boy named Levi…. Justin Murray has played in 51 straight games…. Ross Olsson and Justin Murray wore “A”s…. Brennan Feasey scored his first professional goal…. Brent Beaudoin signed with Worcester earlier in the day and made his professional debut wearing number 15 while scoring a goal and adding in assist in route to being named number one star…. Billy Vizzo registered an assist for his first professional point…. Shane Walsh recorded his seventh multi-point game of the year and his fourth three-point game…. Ross Olsson and Brent Beaudoin tied for a game high with four shots on goal…. Worcester has 11 games left on the regular season seven of which are at the DCU Center…. The Railers are now 21-12-2-0 all-time vs. the Thunder and 13-6-1-0 at the Cool Insuring Arena


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: