Today in Worcester hockey history: March 20


1995 vs Providence 2-1 win
Cal McGowan had two goals 44 seconds apart in the second period to lead the IceCats to a 2-1 victory over the Providence Bruins. McGowan’s first goal came at 18:57, with Roy Mitchell and Jason Widmer picking up the assists. On his next shift McGowan scored again, this one at 19:41 with Widmer and Jim Nesich assisting. Sandy Moger made it interesting with a power play goal at 11:46 of the third, but that was all that the P-Bruins would get past Chris Gordon, who finished the game with 33 saves.

1996 vs Portland 6-3 loss
The Worcester IceCats fell behind in the first period and never made up any ground in a 6-3 loss to the Pirates. Justin Duberman opened the scoring for Portland with a power play goal at 13:02 of the first period. Thirty-six seconds later Alexander Kharlamov made it 2-0. Paul Broten got the ‘Cats within one with a shorthanded goal assisted by Craig Darby at 16:21, but Kent Hulst made it a two goal Pirates lead again at 19:11 on the power play. Hulst connected for a second time at 5:47. Terry Virtue made it 4-2 at 7:42 with Harry York and Chris Kenady providing the helpers. In the third Andrew Brunette struck at :38, and Duberman scored Portland sixth goal at 3:16. York scored at 13:25, asissted by Jason Strudwick and Alex Vasilevskii, for the 6-3 final. Ron Tugnutt had 39 saves for Portland while Mike Buzak made only 13 for Worcester.

1998 at Providence 4-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats and Providence Bruins both had similar shot totals, but their scores were hardly the same as the Baby-Bs blanked the ‘Cats 4-0. Goal scorers for Providence were Ed Ronan (9:11, 1st), Jay Henderson (2:25, 2nd), Cameron Mann (1:28, 3rd), and Shawn Bates (1:49, 3rd). John Grahame had 34 saves in his shutout for the Bruins. Brent Johnson made 29 saves for Worcester. [210Sports notes: The NHL used this game to test a new rule that a team would be shorthanded for the entire two minutes of a minor penalty no matter how many goals were scored by the team on the power play. As it turns out, neither team scored a power play goal so the rule was never used. Also, Terry Virtue received a gross misconduct penalty after the game was over, and was subsequently suspended one game.]

1999 vs Providence 4-4 tie
The Worcester IceCats and Providence Bruins played a Saturday night see-saw contest that in the end produced no winner in a 4-4 tie between the squads. Shawn Bates had the only goal in the first twenty minutes, but it too just 19 seconds into the middle stanza for the ‘Cats to tie it when Shayne Toporowski scored, assisted by Derek Bekar and Stephane Roy. The Baby-Bs had the next two goals in the frame when Antti Laaksonen (3:50) and Terry Virtue (5:35) both connected. The ‘Cats came roaring back in the third, starting with Bryce Salvador’s score at 2:33 of the period. Toporowski and Jeremiah McCarthy had the helpers. Roy would have the next two IceCats goals, the first at 4:55 to tie the game, with assists going to Bekar and Toporowski. His second gave the ‘Cats the lead at 13:51, with Bekar and Salvador earning points. Elias Abrahamsson tied the game for Providence with a goal at 14:27, and neither team would score again. Brent Johnson had 35 saves in the tie.

2003 at Lowell 3-1 win
(ICECATS) In a rare Thursday game, the IceCats were in Lowell taking on the Lock Monsters at the Tsongas Arena. The ‘Cats defeated the Lock Monsters, 3-1 and improved to 6-1-1 in their last eight games on the road. Worcester received goals from Jeff Panzer, Johnny Pohl and Eric Nickulas. Nickulas and Panzer both registered assists as well. Pohl’s goal was his first since January 4th against Saint John. He had been sidelined 21 games with an injury before returning to the ‘Cats lineup on Wednesday night.

2009 at Bridgeport 2-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) Riley Armstrong scored his team leading 23rd goal of the season to tie the game early in the third period but former Holy Cross Crusader James Sixsmith scored the game winner five minutes later as the Sharks fell 2-1 in Bridgeport on Friday evening to begin a four game road trip. The two teams skated to a scoreless first period in part due to the play of Thomas Greiss in net for the Sharks. Greiss made a terrific blocker save on a back hander breakaway shot by Tomas Marcinko on a 2on0 shorthanded rush early in the first period. The Sound Tigers had another terrific chance late in the first period as time expired but Greiss held his ground. The Sharks were outshot 4-8 after twenty minutes of play. The Sound Tigers would strike first after a face-off win deep in the Sharks zone at 8:34 of the 2nd period. Junior Lessard notched his 11th of the season as he poked in a loose puck that just squeaked through the pads of Greiss. The Sharks would try to open things up late in the period but Nathan Lawson made the stops as Worcester outshot the Sound Tigers 16-9 in the middle frame but trailed 1-0. Riley Armstrong would find the back of the net just 73 seconds into the third period on the power play firing in a loose puck past Lawson to knot the score at 1-1. Tom Cavanagh extended his point streak to eight games with an assist (4-5-9) while Derek Joslin received the other helper. But the Sound Tigers would fire right back as former Holy Cross Crusader James Sixsmith would deflect a shot in tight past Greiss at 6:14 for his 4th goal of the season. Sixsmith was set up to the right of Greiss as Tyler Haskins fired a bullet from the center point. The Sharks would have a late power play but Nathan Lawson stood tall making 37 saves in net to preserve the Sound Tiger victory.

2010 vs Providence 2-1 win
(WORSHARKS) Worcester tied a franchise-record for wins in a season, collecting number 42 on the year as they defeated the Providence Bruins, 2-1, in front of a Sharks record-setting crowd of 7,568 fans at the DCU Center Saturday night. John McCarthy scored the game-winning goal off the opening draw in the second period and Andrew Desjardins assisted on both goals to extend his point streak to five games. The Sharks used an early four-on-three power play and a few tremendous glove saves from Frank Doyle to build momentum through the first period. It took them nearly 19 minutes, but Worcester finally put the energy to good use when Dan DaSilva (16) banged home a rebound to put the Sharks on top, 1-0. Desjardins and Mike Moore assisted on the tally. It was the lone goal of the period as Worcester outshot Providence, 13-9. It did not take long for the trio of DaSilva, Desjardins, and linemate McCarthy to strike again as just 10 seconds into the second period, McCarthy (11) snapped one past the glove of Dany Sabourin to put Worcester ahead, 2-0. DaSilva and Desjardins each recorded assists. Providence cut the deficit in half when Levi Nelson (7) one-timed one past Doyle from the top of the right circle at the 14:41 mark. Worcester went into the second intermission with a 2-1 lead and outshot the Bruins, 11-9, in the period. Neither team found the back of the net in the third period and the Sharks held off a late Providence charge to win, 2-1. The Sharks outshot the Bruins, 11-6, in the third period. Win the win Worcester’s record improves to (42-21-2-3, 89 points) and moves three points ahead of the 2nd place Portland Pirates on top of the Atlantic Division

2011 at Manchester 3-2 win
(WORSHARKS) Carter Hutton made 37 saves and Benn Ferriero scored twice as the Sharks took game 3 of a 4 game road trip with a 3-2 win over the Monarchs on Sunday afternoon at the Verizon Wireless Arena. Worcester trails the Whale for the 3rd and final guaranteed playoff spot in the Atlantic Division by four points with 10 games remaining. Tommy Wingels extended his point streak (5-2-7) to six games with an assist and Patrick Davis scored the other Worcester tally. Worcester came out of the gates with a chip on their shoulder and carried the majority of the play in the opening period and charged out to a 2-0 lead. Patrick David (5th) deflected in a Frazer McLaren backhand shot from the right circle past Jeff Zatkoff at 12:00 to give Worcester a 1-0 lead. Benn Ferriero (14th) sent a slap shot from the left circle top shelf on the power play at 18:11 to give the Sharks a 2-0 advantage. Tommy Wingels received the primary assist to extend his point streak to six games on the power play score. Carter Hutton made 11 saves in the middle period to keep the Monarchs at bay and Benn Ferriero scored late in the frame to put Worcester ahead 3-0. Ferriero (15th) jammed in a rebound after a 3-on-2 rush that saw a Mike Moore drive stopped by Zatkoff at 19:34. Worcester led 3-0 after two periods of play despite being outshot 26-22. The Monarchs made things very interesting in the third period with two goals in the opening six and a half minutes. Oscar Moller (23rd) fired a laser just inside the cross bar from 40 feet past Hutton to get the Monarchs on the board at 1:45. Corey Elkins (18th) found a lucky bounce land on his stick on the power play at 6:19 to make the score 3-2 Worcester. Carter Hutton made several spectacular saves late in the game as the Sharks help on for a 3-2 victory. The Sharks record improves to 32-26-4-8 with 76 points and to 14-16-2-4 on the road. Worcester has 10 games remaining on their 80 game AHL regular season schedule (6 home, 4 away)

2015 vs St. John’s 3-1 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (33-23-4-2, 72pts) topped the St. John’s IceCaps (29-28-6-2, 66pts) 3-1 in front of 5,291 fans at the DCU Center on Friday night. Worcester’s captain Bryan Lerg (2-0-2,+1) led the way for the Sharks with two goals in the first period to lift them over the St. John’s IceCaps. JC Lipon (1-0-1, +1) notched a goal for St. John’s-their lone goal of the night. Aaron Dell made 24 saves on 25 shots for his 9th win of the season. With the win, The Sharks remain in 9th place in the Eastern Conference, now one point behind the eight-place Springfield Falcons (73 points) with two games in hand. The Sharks drew first blood at 2:10 into the first period after a net scramble; upon review, the goal was awarded to Worcester’s captain Bryan Lerg (11th). At the 8:16 mark, Lerg (12th) had a beautiful deke and backhander to beat St. John’s goaltender Connor Hellebuyck, scoring his second goal of the first period. Aaron Dell stopped all eight shots he saw from the IceCaps, as the Sharks held the 2-0 advantage through twenty minutes of play. St. John’s got on the board with 1:20 left in the second period when IceCaps’ center Ryan Olsen fed the puck to right winger JC Lipon, who netted it from the slot, cutting the lead to one- that would be the lone goal of the frame. The IceCaps outshot the Sharks 11-4, but Worcester had the 2-1 lead heading into the second intermission. Worcester added some insurance with two minutes left in the third period when center Rylan Schwartz (3rd) scored on an empty net after a breakaway to make it 3-1 Sharks. Aaron Dell saved all six shots that came his way as he notched his 9th win of the season. St. John’s outshot Worcester 25-21, but the Sharks held on for the 3-1 victory. The Sharks overall record improves to 33-23-4-2, 72pts, and 19-10-2-1, 41 pts at the DCU Center this season.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: