Today in Worcester hockey history: March 22


1996 at Springfield 4-0 loss
(WIRE) Scott Langkow made 28 saves as the Springfield Falcons set an American Hockey League record for shutouts with a 4- 0 victory over the Worcester IceCats on Friday. It was the 10th shutout for the Falcons, breaking the league record of nine set by the 1941-42 Cleveland Barons and equaled by the Buffalo Bisons the following season. Kevin Smyth scored the only goal of the first period on a power play. The Falcons blew open the game with three in the second. [210Sports note: ‘Cats netminder Jamie McLennan was assessed a ten-minute misconduct and game misconduct at 9:46 of the second period. The 20 minutes in penalties is still a single game mark for a Worcester pro hockey goaltender]

1998 vs Saint John 4-3 OTL
The Worcester IceCats lost two leads and then needed a comeback of their own before losing in overtime 4-3 to the Flames. Justin Hocking gave the ‘Cats their first lead with a goal assisted by Bob Lachance at 4:41. St. John would follow with the tying goal at 9:33 by Ladislav Kohn on the power play. Once again the IceCats would take the lead, this time on a Robert Petrovicky four on three power play goal assisted by Rory Fitzpatrick and Libor Zabransky at 17:03. It would stay 2-1 until the opening minute of the third period when Keith McCambridge would it it for the Flames at :53. Ryan Bast would then give St. John their first lead of the game with a goal at 10:47. Lubos Bartecko would then knot the game 3-3 with a goal at 14:40, assisted by Terry Hollinger and Nick Naumenko. Into overtime the teams would go, where Martin St. Louis ended it on the first shot of extra time just 19 seconds in. Frederic Cassivi had 30 saves in the OT loss. [210Sports note: The NHL used this game to test a new rule that a team would be shorthanded for the entire two minutes of a minor penalty no matter how many goals were scored by the team on the power play. It came into play twice, once for each team, but didn’t result in any additional goals being scored]

2000 vs Kentucky 4-3 OTL
(TICKER) Chris Lipsett scored his second goal of the game one minute into overtime, giving the Kentucky Thoroughblades a 4-3 triumph over the Worcester IceCats. Lipsett, who snapped a 2-2 tie midway through the third period, added his seventh game-winner. Johan Hedberg made 46 saves, including two in the extra period, to raise his record to 16-9-4. Larry Courville and Mark Smith scored 3:08 apart in the first period for Kentucky, which has beaten the IceCats by identical 4-3 scores in both meetings. Jamie Thompson tied it at 3-3 with 5:52 remaining for the IceCats, who are 1-4-10 in overtime. Brent Johnson stopped 25 shots for Worcester, which was outshot, 49-29.

2003 vs Philadelphia 4-3 win
(ICECATS) Ernie Hartlieb scored with 1:21 left in regulation to give the Worcester IceCats a 4-3 victory over the Philadelphia Phantoms Saturday night at Worcester’s Centrum Centre. Johnny Pohl paced the comeback effort with two goals. Philadelphia jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals from Mark Greig and Andre Savage that came 1:22 apart. Pohl then scored two goals in succession, first at 2:26 of the second period to cut Philadelphia’s lead in half, then again 35 seconds into the third period on the power play. Pohl, who missed 21 games with a leg injury, has scored three goals since returning to the lineup three games ago. Worcester’s Greg Day gave the ‘Cats a brief 3-2 lead with a goal at 8:00 of the third, but the Phantoms’ Dennis Seidenberg responded to knot the game at 3-3. Reinhard Divis earned the win for Worcester with 32 saves. Divis is now 4-0 on the season since returning from an injury.

2008 vs Albany 3-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) After last night’s dramatic conclusion, a two goal deficit in the third period seemed to be another miracle in waiting. But the Worcester Sharks only closed half the gap this time, falling by a 3-2 count to the Albany River Rats on Saturday night at the DCU Center. Albany applied pressure early, and a holding call against Worcester’s Tom Cavanagh gave the Rats an opportunity to open the scoring via the power play. Working deep in the right corner, Marc Cavosie fed teammate Pat Dwyer in the right slot. Dwyer flicked a perfectly placed wrist shot over the shoulder of Sharks goaltender Thomas Greiss and into the top corner, giving Albany a 1-0 lead less than five minutes into the game. Things remained quiet until the first Worcester power play, which began just beyond the halfway point of the period. A diagonal pass from Mike Iggulden was redirected in front of the net, and only a desperation lunge from Albany backstop Justin Peters prevented Graham Mink from tying the game. As the period came to a close, Cavosie found himself in a race against the clock during a last second breakaway. The veteran redliner would win the race, tucking the puck behind Greiss with less than one second showing on the scoreboard clock. Cavosie’s fourth AHL goal of the year doubled the Rats lead heading into the intermission. Worcester was held shotless for the first seven minutes of the middle frame, before Peters finally erred. The goaltender weakly poked a loose puck straight to Sharks forward Dennis Packard, who wasted no time in returning the puck top shelf on Peters at 7:24, cutting the Albany lead in half with his tenth goal of the year. A Worcester turnover turned into an odd man rush for Albany with just over five minutes to play in the period. Greiss made the initial save on Casey Borer’s shot from the left wing, but Jakub Petruzalek crashed the net and tapped home the rebound, plowing through Greiss in the process. The visitors held the 3-1 lead deep into the third period, until the puck finally bounced in Worcester’s advantage. A tight-angle try from Tom Walsh was redirected by T.J. Fox off the pads of Peters, and Ashton Rome cleaned up the loose puck at 12:12 for his sixth goal of the year. Peters would make seven saves in the final period, however, which was enough to guarantee the victory for Albany.

2009 at Springfield 2-0 loss
(WORSHARKS) For the first time since 2007, the Worcester Sharks were shut out for two straight games, this time at the hands of the Springfield Falcons by a 2-0 final, on Sunday afternoon at the Mass Mutual Center. The Sharks finished the 3-in-3 weekend with a scoreless drought of 138:47 having seen 112 of their 113 shots saved. Springfield’s Devan Dubnyk made 32 saves for his third shutout of the season and second versus Worcester. Thomas Greiss was strong once again, stopping 20 of 21 shots sent his way. It marked only the second time in franchise history the team was shutout in consecutive games. The other time that happened was on Feb. 10 and 16 of 2007, when it lost 3-0 to Manchester and Hartford. The Falcons converted with only 17 seconds remaining on their first power play for a 1-0 lead at 7:34 of the first period. Mathieu Roy’s shot from the point made it through traffic in front, allowing Viacheslav Trukhno to finish the redirection from right outside the crease. Worcester dominated the second period, outshooting the Falcons 17-3, but still could not light the lamp. The best chances came early in the period on the Sharks’ first power play, but Dubnyk made a flurry of saves to keep it 1-0. Then, with only 1:15 remaining in the period, Lukas Kaspar was set up nicely by Trent Campbell, but Dubnyk again made a quick pad stop. The Sharks put some chances on net in the third, but it wasn’t enough, as Colin McDonald added an empty net goal at the 19:30 mark for the 2-0 final. The loss drops Worcester’s record to 34-33-1-2 with 71 points through 70 games.

2011 at Portland 5-4 win OT
(WORSHARKS) John McCarthy scored just 16 seconds into overtime as the Sharks battled back from a 3-0 deficit and shocked the Pirates with a 5-4 overtime win on Tuesday morning at the Cumberland County Civic Center. Worcester trails the Whale for the 3rd and final guaranteed playoff spot in the Atlantic Division by two points with 9 games remaining. A wild line brawl at 16:24 of the first period turned the game around into Worcester’s favor as the Sharks received goals by Patrick Davis, Dan DaSilva, Joe Loprieno, and John McCarthy and 24 saves by Carter Hutton in the victory. Jamie McGinn added two assists and sparked the Sharks during the first period brawl. The two teams combined for 94 penalty minutes as the Sharks concluded their four game road trip 2-2-0-0. The Pirates charged out to a 3-0 lead before a major brawl broke out at 16:24 of the opening frame. Corey Tropp (10th) scored just 13 seconds into the period after a turnover behind the Sharks net. Tropp roofed the puck past Carter Hutton to put the Sharks down 1-0 early. Derek Whitmore (25th) tipped in a shot from the point at 15:09 past Hutton to put the Pirates up 2-0. Former Shark Dennis McCauley (11th) ripped a shot from the left circle after a cross ice feed as the Pirates barreled out to a 3-0 lead. A full scale line brawl broke out at 16:24 after Jamie McGinn ran over Tim Conboy behind the Pirates net. Every player on the ice squared off and led to four ejections and 76 penalty minutes as Sean Sullivan and Tommy Wingels were given the gate early after their secondary altercations. Patrick Davis (5th) scored a shorthanded goal past David Leggio on a breakaway to get the Sharks on the board at 17:28. The Sharks trailed 3-1 after 20 minutes. Dan DaSilva (16th) struck on the power play at 3:06 of the second period after a Kevin Henderson wrap-a-round attempt was denied by Leggio. The Pirates got the score right back as Paul Byron (20th) scored on a breakaway at 5:03. Worcester got back within one at 12:29 as Nick Schaus (4th) broke down the right wing and snapped the puck past the blocker side and just inside the post. The Sharks trailed 4-3 after 40 minutes of play. Joe Loprieno (3rd) tied the score at 16:37 of the third period with a one timer bomb from the blue line through a screen and just inside the crossbar to force overtime. John McCarthy won the game in overtime with a quick rush up the left side and a seeing eye shot over the shoulder of Leggio just 16 seconds into the overtime period for the 5-4 Sharks victory. The Sharks record improves to 33-26-4-8 with 78 points and to 15-16-2-4 on the road. Worcester has 9 games remaining on their 80 game AHL regular season schedule (6 home, 3 away)

2013 at Springfield 2-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (28-25-1-6, 63pts) were defeated by their Eastern Conference rival the Springfield Falcons (36-18-5-4, 81pts) by a score of 2-1 on Friday night in front of 4,396 fans at the Mass Mutual Center. Goaltender Curtis McElhinney came up huge for the Falcons making 25 saves in his 25th win. Nick Holden’s second period goal at 16:24 was the game winner as the Falcons held off a late third period rally by Worcester. Adam Comrie scored Worcester’s only goal of the night in the third period to make things interesting but the Sharks were unable to send the game into overtime. Harri Sateri made 19 saves for the Sharks in the loss. Sean Collins (8th) put the Falcons on top 13 seconds into the game as he found the back of the net after a centering feed from Spencer Machacek. Worcester players gave up on the play after an icing call was waved off by the officials late. Each team went 0-1 on the power play as the Sharks outshot the Falcons 12 to 10 in the first period. Nick Holden (6th) added to the Falcons lead in the second period with a blast from the point past Sateri on a power play to put the Falcons up 2-0 at 16:24. The second period was full of penalties for both teams, as Matt Pelech picked up his team leading 14th fighting major with a long scrap with Dalton Smith (12th FM) at 13:01. The Sharks trailed 2-0 heading into the third period of play. Defenseman Adam Comrie (2nd) scored for the Sharks with 9:03 in the third to bring Worcester within one entering the final stretch of the game. Sateri was pulled for the man advantage late in the third but the Sharks were unable to find the equalizer. It was a close game up until the final whistle but the Sharks were unable to find the back of the net in crunch time. The Sharks overall record falls to 28-26-1-6 (63pts in 60gp) and 16-14-0-2 on the road. Worcester has 16 games remaining and is currently six points behind the final playoff spot with three games in hand.

2014 vs Hershey 4-2 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (31-28-3-1, 66pts) scored three goals late in the third period to stun the Hershey Bears (32-24-4-4, 72pts) with a 4-2 win before 4,820 fans Saturday evening at the DCU Center. With the victory, the Sharks are now nine points behind the 8th place Bruins with two games in hand for the final playoff spot in the East with 13 games remaining. The Sharks and Bears played a close game until six minutes remained in the third when Worcester notched three quick goals. Hershey’s Casey Wellman (16th) opened the scoring with the first period’s only goal before Freddie Hamilton (19th) even the game with the second period’s lone tally. The Bears scored first in the third, with a goal by Nicolas Deschamps (14th) but the Sharks rallied with three consecutive scores by Dan DaSilva (15th), Taylor Doherty (4th) and Travis Oleksuk (14th). With his tying goal, DaSilva broke the Sharks’ franchise record for points tallying his 139th. The Bears took a one-goal lead as they scored the only tally of the first. About halfway through the period at 10:40, Casey Wellman (16th) cleaned up a rebound in front of Sateri as the Bears crashed the Sharks’ net after a shot by Nicolas Deschamps. The team combined for 26 shots with Worcester holding a 16-10 edge over Hershey. Bears tender David Leggio kept the light in his net dim making all 16 necessary saves. The middle frame resulted in a late tying goal by the Sharks and a 1-1 score. After 18:47 of a scoreless second period, the Sharks evened the game when Daniil Tarasov skated down the left and dished the puck across to Freddie Hamilton (19th) open in the center of the offensive zone, where he wristed it by Leggio to put the Sharks on the board. Shots for the period decreased for each team, as the Bears outshot the Sharks 8-6. Sateri blanked Hershey in the period making some huge saves to keep them to one goal. The Sharks took over the third period with three goals in 3:15 to take control of the game and a victory at home. The Bears opened the final period with the first mark at 9:36 after Nicolas Deschamps (14th) received a pass in the slot from behind the net and sent it behind Sateri. The Sharks then began their comeback at 14:04, when McCarthy controlled a pass with his skate and dished the puck across the crease to Dan DaSilva (15th) who back-doored it into the net to tie the game and break Sharks history as the most points by a player. Then, just over a minute later at 15:10, Taylor Doherty (4th) sniped a shot from 50 feet to give the Sharks the lead. Worcester added it’s third of the period and fourth of the night at 17:19 when Travis Oleksuk (14th) picked up a pass across the slot and skated outside the right post to send an off-angled slider by Leggio. Hershey attempted to make a comeback, by pulling Leggio for the extra skater twice, but came up short as the Sharks toppled them with late goals. Shots for the final period were 18-9, with the Sharks doubling the Bears. The Sharks’ overall record rises to 31-28-3-1, 66pts and 16-13-0-1, 33pts at home.

2019 vs Maine 2-1 OTL
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (30-24-6-4, 70pts) dropped a 2-1 overtime decision to the visiting Maine Mariners (35-26-2-1, 73pts) in front of 4,568 fans at the DCU Center on Friday evening. With the overtime loss, the Railers are now in a tie for fourth place with Manchester in the North Division with eight games remaining. Tyler Mueller scored for Worcester while Mitch Gillam made 28 saves in net while Yanick Turcotte picked up a pair of fighting major penalties. Greg Chase scored both goals for Maine while Chris Nell made 30 saves in net as Worcester fell to 16-10-5-1 on home ice this season. Maine jumped three points ahead of Worcester in the standings with the win. The first period saw a terrific pace with both teams having a number of good scoring chances, but Mitch Gillam stood tall with nine saves through 20 minutes. Defenseman Tyler Mueller (2nd) went coast to coast and took a 2-on-1 rush on his own with a shot top shelf from the left circle to give the Railers a 1-0 lead at 3:43. Shots were 12-9 in favor of Worcester heading into the first intermission. Yanick Turcotte (16th and 17th FM) stole the show in the second period as he pounded Ryan Ferrill and Derek Pratt in two separate one-sided altercations in a chippy middle frame. Worcester held an 18-17 shot advantage and took a 1-0 lead into the second intermission. Maine would even the score at 8:08 of the third period as Greg Chase (21st) redirected a shot from the left circle to tie the game at 1-1. Barry Almeida hit the post with just under two minutes left before the game headed to overtime. Worcester led in shots 29-27 through 60 minutes. Worcester has a couple of chances early in the extra session before Greg Chase (22nd) batted a centering feed into the net at 3:00 to give Mainer the 2-1 overtime victory.

2022 at Reading 6-3 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (27-24-4-2, 60pts) lost to the Reading Royals (35-14-6-2, 78pts) on Tuesday night by the final score of 6-3 in front of a crowd of 2, 347 at Santander Arena. The Railers are back in Reading at Santander Arena on Wednesday, March 22nd to take on the Reading Royals at 7:00 p.m. It was a back-and-forth game on Tuesday night, as the lead changed hands four times between the Railers and the Royals. First, Steven Jandric (1-0-1) notched his first professional tally midway through the first period. Then, Reading responded with a late goal in the period, followed by another marker midway through the second to take a 2-1 lead. Max Newton (1-0-1) also recorded his first professional goal as he wristed a puck from beneath the net off of a Royal out in front, which then deflected in to tie the game 2-2. Jacob Hayhurst (1-0-1) on the penalty-kill then jumped a pass in the neutral zone and finished on the forehand to give Worcester the 3-2 lead. Reading would respond with four unanswered goals across the rest of the game, as Reading picked up the 6-3 win. Worcester jumped out to the 1-0 thanks to one of their newest addition’s first professional goal. Steven Jandric (1st) out in front deflected a shot from Cole Coskey from the right wing past Hayden Hawkey on the powerplay, which made it 1-0 Worcester. Reading would respond close to the end of the period. Garrett Cockerill (4th) from the left wing snuck one past Ken Appleby to tie the game with just :26 left on the clock. The game would head into the first intermission tied 1-1. Shots in the period favored Reading 9-7. Reading would strike first in the second, and grab their first lead of the night. Patrick Bajkov (21) received a centering feed from Brad Morrison on a two-on-one rush down ice, and tapped the puck past Appleby to put Reading ahead 2-1. Max Newton (1st), the Railers other newest addition out of Merrimack found the back of the net after coming out from beneath the net and throwing the puck off of a Royal out in front. The puck would deflect past Hawkey, tying the game 2-2 as Newton recorded his first professional goal. Worcester jumped back out in front after Jacob Hayhurst jumped a pass in the neutral zone on the penalty-kill and streaked down ice, finishing past Hawkey on his forehand to put the Railers up 3-2. Reading tied the game on another late goal, as Trevor Gooch (26th) found a rebound out in front of Appleby and ripped it home to make it a 3-3 game going into the third period. Reading outshot Worcester 16-12 in the frame, and outshot the Railers 25-19 through 40 minutes. It was all Reading in the third period, as the Royals scored three unanswered goals. Thomas Ebbing (23rd) received a centering feed from Jacob Pritchard and ripped it past Appleby on a one-timer to give Reading their second lead of the night, 4-3. Trevor Gooch (27th) made it 5-3 Reading just fifty-nine seconds later, as he blasted a slapshot past Appleby on a down-ice rush with 12:14 to go in the game. With the Railers down by two and the net empty, Trevor Gooch (28th) wrestled the puck away from Worcester defenseman Matt Sredl and wristed it into the open net, securing the hat trick and the 6-3 victory for Reading. Shots in the third favored Reading 8-6, as the Royals outshot the Railers 33-25 by the game’s end. Notes: Three Stars: 3rd Star: Brad Morrison (0-2-2, +1), 2nd Star: Patrick Bajkov (1-1-2, +2, 3 shots), 1st Star: Trevor Gooch(3-1-4, +2, 3 shots)… Final shots were 33-25 in favor of Reading… Hayden Hawkey (9-3-1) made 22 saves on 25 shots for Reading… Ken Appleby (10-10-1) made 27 saves on 32 shots for Worcester, while Colten Ellis served as the backup… Worcester went 0-for-1 on the power play while Reading went 0-for-5… Bobby Butler (DNP), Reece Newkirk (DNP), Ross Olsson (DNP), Blake Christensen (INJ), Liam Coughlin (IR), Felix Bibeau (IR), Chris Ordoobadi (IR), and Grant Jozefek (IR) did not dress for Worcester… Steven Jandric led the Railers in shots with 4… The Railers are now 18-21-2-1 all-time vs. the Royals and 7-13-1-1 at Santander Arena against Reading.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: