Today in Worcester hockey history: May 5


1998 vs Hartford 7-1 win (New England Division F, tied 2-2)
The Worcester IceCats went an amazing four for seven with the man advantage in a 7-1 blow out win over the Wolf Pack. Stephane Roy had the only goal of the first period, a power play marker at 8:44 assisted by Bob Lachance and Chris Kenady. Shayne Toporowski started a three goal middle period for the ‘Cats at 8:25, with Jamal Mayers and Rory Fitzpatrick earning points. Nick Naumenko made it 3-0 with a power play goal at 11:48, with Michal Handzus and Ricard Persson picking up assists. Person then had a power play tally of his own, at 15:09 assisted by Lachance and Naumenko. In the third period Jason Zent made it fine ‘Cats goals in a row with a power play goal assisted by Naumenko and Persson. Ken Gernander ruined Brent Johnson’s shutout bid at 6:06 of the third. Lubos Bartecko got the goal back at 12:16, with help from Terry Virtue and Justin Hocking. Hanzus would make it 7-1 at 15:02, with Hocking picking up the lone assist. Johnson ended the game with 32 saves.

2004 at Hartford 4-3 loss 3OT (Atlantic Division F, eliminated 4-0)
The Worcester IceCats needed a win to keep their season going, and after falling behind by two goals and then coughing up a late lead it would take until the third overtime to determine a winner, and unfortunately for the ‘Cats it wasn’t them. Jason MacDonald (2:21) and Jozef Balej (power play, 9:21) gave the Wolf Pack the lead after twenty minutes, but the IceCats came roaring back with two goals in the middle period. Trevor Byrne had the first one on the power play, assisted by Blake Evans and Jon Coleman, at 11:50. Mike Glumac would them tie the game at 18:27, with Scott Pellerin and Byrne picking up the helpers. Peter Sejna gave Worcester the lead at 10:56 of the third with Evans and Coleman picking up the assists. Dominic Moore would score an extra attacker goal at 19:25 to send the game to overtime, where Ken Gernander would capitalize on an IceCats turnover at 7:49 of the third overtime to eliminate Worcester from the playoffs.

2010 vs Manchester 1-0 loss (Atlantic Division F, trail 3-2)
(WORSHARKS) For the second time in three games the Sharks were unable to beat Jonathan Bernier and Manchester received a record-tying sixth game-winning playoff goal from Bud Holloway as the Monarchs defeated the Sharks, 1-0, in game five of the Atlantic Division Finals at the DCU Center Wednesday night. Worcester now faces elimination in Friday’s game six in Manchester as the Monarchs hold a 3-2 series lead. Alex Stalock was sharp in net making 24 saves for Worcester, but it was the Sharks inability to build sustained pressure in the attacking zone that loomed large. Manchester struck first with the only goal of the game, 13:11 into the period, when Holloway (6) banged one through the pads of Stalock after he took a feed from Gabe Gauthier. Both teams had power-play opportunities in the period, but neither converted, and the Monarchs headed to the locker rooms ahead, 1-0. Worcester outshot Manchester, 11-9. Worcester successfully killed off a four-minute, double minor penalty to Mike Moore for high sticking midway through the second, but were unable to do anything offensively as both teams were held off the scoreboard in the second period. The Monarchs outshot the Sharks, 9-4. The Monarchs nursed their one-goal lead through the third period and held off a late Sharks charge to take game five, 1-0. Worcester held the shot advantage, 15-7.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: