Today in Worcester hockey history: May 10


1998 at Hartford 4-1 win (New England Division F, lead 3-2)
The Worcester IceCats played a complete 60 minute game and put the Wolf Pack on the brink of elimination with a 4-1 win. Robert Petrovicky opened the scoring 18 seconds into the game when he took a feed from Jamal Mayers and beat Hartford netminder Robb Stauber with a wrist shot. Pierre Sevigny tied it on the power play at 6:59. In the second period Petrovicky score again when his wrist shot through traffic found and opening and went in. Bob Lachance had the lone assist at 15:45. Stephane Roy made it 3-1 when he backhanded Lachance’s feed into the net at 17:21. Chris Kenady had the secondary assist. In the third Lachance scored just 17 seconds into the frame when Kenady forced a turnover and Lachance wristed one home. Brent Johnson had 29 saves in the game.

2015 Hershey 2 vs Hartford 1 (Eastern Conference SF)
(WOLF PACK) Defenseman Cameron Schilling’s third-period shorthanded goal was the game-winner for the Hershey Bears Sunday against the Hartford Wolf Pack, in Game Three of the teams’ best-of-seven second-round playoff series. The game was played at the DCU Center in Worcester, due to scheduling conflicts at the XL Center. Hershey now leads the series two games to one. The Wolf Pack’s goal was also a shorthander, scored by Joey Crabb. Another blueliner, Nate Schmidt, scored Hershey’s other tally. Philipp Grubauer made 31 saves to get the win for the Bears, and Yann Danis stopped 20 shots in the Wolf Pack net. The Wolf Pack had three power plays, including a 27-second two-man advantage, in the first period but were unable to score, despite a 13-7 shots on goal advantage. The two teams traded goals in the second frame, with the Bears scoring just outside the opening minute of the period and the Wolf Pack replying in the final minute. Schmidt gave Hershey the game’s first lead 67 seconds into the second, heading hard to the net and backhanding the rebound of a Jakub Vrana shot past Danis. That lead lasted until there were only 40.8 seconds remaining in the period, when Crabb scored the Wolf Pack’s first shorthanded goal of the postseason. With Justin Vaive off for high-sticking, Crabb carried the puck into the Hershey end on right wing and perfectly threaded a low shot through two Bear defenders and underneath the pads of Grubauer. The Bear penalty kill had the last word, though, scoring the winner at 10:23 of the third with Liam O’Brien serving a high-sticking penalty. Schmidt brought the puck into the Wolf Pack zone and fired a shot through Hartford defender Michael Kostka’s legs and high into the net. [210Sports note: Because the XL Center in Hartford was unavailable this game was played at the DCU Center]


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: