Today in Worcester hockey history: October 2


1999 vs Lowell 3-3 tie
(TICKER) Jason Podollan scored twice and Don MacLean had two assists as the Lowell Lock Monsters settled for a 3-3 tie with the Worcester IceCats. Podollan registered back-to-back goals in the second period to put Lowell in front, 3-2. Reed Low tied it 97 seconds later for Worcester. Lubos Bartecko and Trevor Wasyluk had power-play goals for the IceCats. Roberto Luongo made 35 saves, including three in overtime, for Lowell. Luongo also saved a second period penalty shot by Ladislav Nagy. Cody Rudkowsky stopped 31 shots for the Worcester.

2004 3-2 exhibition win vs Lowell (New England Sports Center, Marlborough, MA)
The Worcester IceCats and Lowell Lock Monsters did battle in preseason action, and a third period goal by Ryan Ramsay was the difference in a 3-2 ‘Cats win. Ryan Bayda got Lowell on the board with a power play goal at 6:30 of the opening period. Dennis Wideman tied it for Worcester at 9:50 also on the power play, assisted by Colin Hemingway. Konstantin Zakharov gave the IceCats the lead with a goal assisted by Alexei Shkotov and Ramsay at 19:22. Richie Regehr had the only goal of the second period, a power play strike at 18:30, to make it 2-2 after 40 minutes. Ramsay then got the eventual game winner at 5:51 of the third, assisted by Shkotov. Jason Bacashihua got the start in net and played the first two periods, making 16 saves on 18 shots. Chris Beckford-Tseu earned the win playing the third period, going a perfect nine for nine.

2011 3-2 exhibition loss at Connecticut (Champions Ice Arena, Cromwell, CT)
(WORSHARKS) Mike Connolly and James Livingston scored for the Sharks, but it wasn’t enough as Worcester was defeated by the Connecticut Whale 3-2 in preseason action at the Champions Ice Arena in Cromwell, Connecticut on Sunday afternoon. Thomas Heemskerk made 28 saves for the Sharks as Worcester closed out their exhibition schedule with a split (1-1-0-0) between the Connecticut Whale. The Connecticut Whale struck just 43 seconds in when Nick Tanski snuck one past Heemskerk after a scramble in front to take a 1-0 lead for the only strike of the opening period. In the middle frame, Livingston (1st) tied the score at 1-1 after he jammed home a loose puck past Cameron Talbot during a scramble in the Whale crease at 6:39. After the goal, Anthony Perdicaro (WOR) and Jared Nightingale (CT) dropped the mitts behind the Whale net. The Whale struck on the power play at 9:49 after a T.J. Fast wrist shot from the blue line found its way through traffic and behind Heemskerk at 9:49. Chris McKelvie gave the Whale a 3-1 lead at 14:19 with a nice deflection on top of the crease as the Sharks headed into the 2nd intermission down by two goals. Connolly (1st) cut the Whale lead in half with a nice deflection from on top of the crease on the power play at 14:53. Connolly cut in front of the net as Taylor Doherty fired the puck from the right wing wall. The Sharks would pull Heemskerk late but couldn’t tie the score, falling by a final of 3-2. Worcester concluded their exhibition schedule with a 1-1-0-0 record.

2014 5-4 exhibition win at Hartford (TD Bank Sports Center, Hamden, CT)
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (1-0-0-0) scored three times in the third period to force overtime and Bryan Lerg scored the only goal in the shootout as the Sharks defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack (1-0-0-1) in the exhibition schedule opener at Quinnipiac University in Hamden, CT on Thursday night. Quinnipiac alumni Jeremy Langlois scored twice in his return to the TD Bank Arena as the Sharks scored three times in the third period to force overtime. Konrad Abeltshauser and Melker Karlsson also scored for Worcester in the 5-4 shootout winner. Hartford got goals from Sean Escobedo, Ryan Potulny, Danny Kristo, and Chris McCarthy but coughed up a 4-1 advantage through 40 minutes. The Sharks came out strong in the first period but fell behind 2-0 through 17 minutes after a pair of goals by the Wolf Pack. Sean Escobedo (1st) got Hartford on the board with an unassisted tally at 15:20 followed by a Ryan Potulny (1st) power play strike on a beautiful one timer at 16:51 past starter JP Anderson. Worcester cut the deficit at 18:39 after Quinnipiac alumni Jeremy Langlois (1st) disrupted the Hartford defense on the fore-check and Jimmy Bonneau ended up with the puck in front of the Wolf Pack net. Bonneau slid a pass across the top of the crease to Langlois who buried it behind netminder Mackenzie Skapski to finish the scoring in the opening frame. Worcester outshot Hartford 11-5 in first period but trailed 2-1. Hartford scored twice more in the second period to take a 4-1 advantage into the second intermission. Danny Kristo (1st) fired a quick shot off an offensive face-off win past JP Anderson at 3:47 to put the Wolf Pack ahead 3-1. Aaron Dell replaced JP Anderson with 8:01 left in the period and surrendered a shorthanded breakaway goal at 18:36 by Chris McCarthy (1st) to put Hartford ahead by three goals through 40 minutes. Shots were 17-12 Worcester after two periods. In the third period, Konrad Abeltshauser (1st) trimmed the deficit to 4-2 with a wrister from the left circle that clanged off the post and past the Hartford netminder at 3:53 with Kyle Bigos and Vlad Gavrik picking up the assists. Less than two minutes later, Melker Karlsson (1st) was set up all alone in front by Micheal Haley and slid a backhander into the net at 5:39 on the power play as the Sharks creeped to within a goal. Jeremy Langlois (2nd) tied the score at 4-4 with a quick one timer snap shot from the left circle after a nice feed by Konrad Abeltshauser at 11:26. Worcester outshot Hartford 29-20 through regulation. Neither team scored in a seven minute overtime period as Worcester outshot Hartford 5-1. The Sharks had a power play in overtime and the two teams debuted the 3-on-3 action with 2:28 remaining in the overtime period. Bryan Lerg scored the only goal in the shootout and goaltender Aaron Dell stopped all three shooters for the victory.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: