Today in Worcester hockey history: November 4


1994 at Springfield 3-0 loss
The IceCats had 42 shots on goal but couldn’t get one past Falcons netminder Manny Legace in a 3-0 loss. Shayne McCosh, Rob Murray, and Ravil Gusmanov were the goal scorers for Springfield. Wayne Cowley made 26 saves in the losing effort.

1995 vs Providence 4-0 win
The Worcester IceCats got 32 saves from Eric Fichaud, who was celebrating his 20th birthday, and goals from four different players in a 4-0 blanking of the Baby-Bs. After the teams were scoreless through the first two periods Jarrett Deuling got the ‘Cats on the board at 5:50 of the third with Lindsay Vallis getting the assist. Patrice Tardif made it 2-0 at 6:48 with Jamie Rivers and David Roberts providing the helpers. Ian Laperriere had the third IceCats goal at 9:22, with Roberts getting the lone assist. Vallis added a power play goal at 14:06 for the 4-0 final. Terry Virtue and Andreas Johansson had the assists on the goal.

1997 at Fredericton 3-2 win OT
The Worcester IceCats got a late third period goal and then another in overtime to defeat the Canadiens 3-2. Chris Kenady got the ‘Cats on the board at 9:22 when Jamal Mayers skated down the right wing side and fed Kenady right in front of the net. Terry Virtue had the secondary assist on the play. Fredericton had the net two goals in the contest, with David Ling scoring at 2:48 of the middle period and Miloslav Guren lighting the lamp at 13:07 of the third. Both goals were on the power play. With time running down on the ‘Cats and on the power play Jason Zent scored at 19:47 when Robert Petrovicky hit him with a nice pass from behind the net. Rory Fitzpatrick had the secondary helper on the extra attacker goal. In overtime it was Virtue getting the game winner, assisted by Ricard Persson and Mayers. Fred Cassivi had 27 saves in the win.

2000 vs Providence 4-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats were blanked 4-0 by the Providence Bruins, and the ‘Cats frustration showed late in the game as four players picked up 10-minute misconducts. Worcester ended the game with 85 penalty minutes as a team. Goal scorers for Providence were Pete Vandermeer (4:49 of 1st,PP), Eric Manlow (18:52,PP), Nick Boynton (10:13 of 2nd), and Peter Ferraro (15:20PP of 3rd). Sean Matile made 32 saves for the win, Cody Rudkowsky had 23 in the loss.

2006 at Springfield 3-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) Sharks forward Grant Stevenson had his second multi-point night of the season with a goal and an assist in a 3-2 loss to the Springfield Falcons on Saturday night at the MassMutual Center. Worcester netminder Nolan Schaefer was superb in net as he turned aside 34 shots in his first loss of the season. The Sharks record dropped to 5-3-0-2 on the season as they could not mount a comeback in the third period. Mathieu Darche wasted no time putting the Sharks up 1-0 just five minutes into the first period. Darche picked up a loose puck from the right face-off circle and snapped home his 12th goal of the season past Falcons netminder Sean Burke. Springfield responded at 17:48 though, when Jean Desrochers scored his first of the year from the doorstep to make it 1-1. With forward Lukas Kaspar off for hooking, Grant Stevenson put Worcester back up 2-1 when he chipped home his second of the year on a beautiful individual effort with just 38 ticks left on the first period clock. Stevenson stripped the puck from a Falcons defenseman in the defensive zone and raced down ice on a breakaway for the Sharks second shorthanded tally of the year. At 7:34 of the second period, Springfield knotted the game back up at two apiece when Desrochers picked up his second of the night off a feed from linemate Zdenek Blatny from behind the net. The Falcons stole the lead right before the two teams headed into the locker room for the second intermission when forward Norm Milley scored his fifth of the season with just 58 seconds left. Milley was parked to left of Schaefer and redirected a Doug O’Brien slapper from the point for the 3-2 lead. The Sharks came out hard in the third period, but found themselves in a bind when Springfield was granted a two-man advantage for over two minutes midway through the period. Darche and rookie forward Joe Pavelski were both whistled off for elbowing and hooking, respectively. The Sharks stayed resilient though, and Schaefer was near perfect in the net for the duration of the penalty kill. Unfortunately, the Worcester offense could not mount a comeback and suffered their third regulation loss of the season.

2012 vs Manchester 1-0 win SO
(WORSHARKS) Alex Stalock turned aside all 27 shots that he faced to pick up his first shutout of the season in the Sharks (4-4-1-1)exciting 1-0 shootout win against the Manchester Monarchs (5-2-0-1) on Sunday afternoon in front of 2,647 fans at the DCU Center. The Sharks outscored the Monarchs 3-2 in the shootout with goals scored by Jon Matsumoto, James Sheppard, and John McCarthy to secure the victory as Worcester improved to 3-1-1-0 on home ice at the DCU Center. It was the first game in Sharks history to enter the shootout in a scoreless tie. Martin Jones made 38 saves for Manchester in the shootout loss for the Monarchs. It was a chippy first period with a total of 36 minutes in penalties within the first 20 minutes of play. Veteran forward Bracken Kearns (2nd FM) squared off with tough customer Richard Clune (5th FM) at 4:25, with Clune getting the better of Kearns in the fight. Curt Gogol (2nd FM) then went toe-to-toe with Andy Andreoff (1st FM) at 7:03 of the first period. Gogol lost his balance and then continued to fight after the referees had interfered, getting him an additional 10 minutes for continuing altercation. Worcester outshot Manchester 9-5 in a scoreless first period. The Sharks and Monarchs skated to a stalemate in a back-and-forth second period. Stalock was stellar in goal in the second, stopping all 16 shots that he faced. The Sharks were 0-for-4 on the power play during the period, while the Monarchs were 0-for-2. The Sharks were outshot 16-8 in the period. The Sharks put 18 shots on net in the third period, but couldn’t cash in as Manchester net minder Martin Jones turned aside all 18 shots. Worcester let two power play opportunities fall by the wayside in the third, including one with less than five minutes to play in regulation. The Sharks outshot the Monarchs 18-7 in the period. After neither team was able to score in overtime, the two teams headed to a shootout where McCarthy, Sheppard, and Matsumoto scored for the Sharks to outscore the Monarchs 3-2 in the shootout and secure the victory. Roy Sommer moved to 3rd all-time in AHL history with his 1,126 game coached passing John Paddock. Sommer won his 513th game in the victory. The Sharks overall record improves to 4-4-1-1 (10pts in 10gp) and 3-1-1-0 (7pts in 5gp) at the DCU Center this season.

2017 vs Reading 2-1 win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (5-2-1-0, 11pts) wearing Slap Shot themed jerseys handed the Reading Royals (4-2-0-0, 8pts) their second loss of the season after a 2-1 victory in game three of a five game homestand in front 4,132 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday evening. Woody Hudson scored in his third straight game and Barry Almeida scored his second of the season to supply the offense for the Railers while Mitch Gillam stood tall in net with 26 saves as Worcester won their second straight game vs. the Royals on home ice. Barry Almeida (2nd) deflected home a Patrick McNally point shot at 4:06 of the opening period to give Worcester an early 1-0 lead. After the Royals went 0-for-2 on the power play, Chris Langkow (1st FM) dropped the much bigger Loic Leduc (1st FM) with two big right hands in a great scrap at 18:56. Mitch Gillam made nine first period saves as Worcester headed into the first intermission ahead 1-0. Neither team found the back of the net in the middle frame with Reading holding a 18-17 edge in shots through 40 minutes as Mitch Gillam stood tall. Woody Hudson (3rd) scored his third goal in as many games after he raced down the left wing side on a 2-on-1 and ripped a shot from 30 feet top shelf to put Worcester ahead 2-0. Ryan Penny (5th) got the Royals within a goal at 15:57 with a quick shot through a screen to ruin the shutout bid for Gillam. Worcester held off a late charge to take home a 2-1 home victory.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: