Today in Worcester hockey history: November 5


1994 at Springfield 2-1 win
The IceCats fell behind in the first period but used two second period goals to beat the Falcons 2-1 at the Springfield Civic Center. John LeBlanc put the Falcons up with goal at 11:40 of the opening period. Roy Mitchell got Worcester back to even with an unassisted goal 26 seconds into the middle period, and Mitchell would follow with a shorthanded goal at 3:24. John Carter and Jim Nesich had the helpers on the game winner. Les Kuntar made 34 saves in the victory.

1999 at Rochester 5-5 tie
(TICKER) Lubos Bartecko scored twice in the final six minutes of regulation to pull the Worcester Ice Cats into a 5-5 tie with the Rochester Americans. Bartecko, who also had an assist, scored his second goal with 68 seconds left to force overtime. Jim Campbell opened the scoring 2:58 into the first period and added an assist for Worcester, which is unbeaten in its last two games after losing five of six. Denis Hamel scored his ninth and 10th goals and Craig Fisher, who leads the league with 20 points, supplied a pair of assists for Rochester. Maxim Afinogenov and Jason Cipolla each contributed a goal and an assist for the Amerks, who own the league’s best record at 11-2-1.

2000 vs Kentucky 2-2 tie
The Worcester IceCats fell behind twice and tied it both times in a 2-2 deadlock with the Kentucky Thoroughblades. Adam Colagiacomo put Kentucky on the board with a five on three power play goal at 3:17 of the opening period. On the same penalty kill Jamie Thompson would tie it for the ‘Cats with a shorthanded goal at 3:43, with Dan Corso and Ed Campbell getting assists. Eric Laplante gave the Thoroughblades the lead back at 6:24. Worcester got the game tying goal on a power play tally by Ladislav Nagy with just 19 seconds remaining in the middle frame. Campbell and netminder Cody Rudkowsky had the assists. Miikka Kiprusoff made 34 saves for Kentucky while Rudkowsky had 18 for the IceCats.

2004 vs Manchester 4-2 win
(ICECATS) The Worcester IceCats extended their winning streak to six games Friday night, defeating the previously undefeated Manchester Monarchs 4-2. Blake Evans scored the game-winner on the power play at 12:08 of the second period. Dustin Brown scored twice in the first period for Manchester, making it 1-0 and 2-1. Jon DiSalvatore answered Brown?s first at 11:51, and then Aris Brimanis tied the game with 19 seconds left in the frame. The veteran defenseman blasted a slapper from the right point for his first of the season. Evans’ game-winner came shortly after Curtis Sanford (26 saves) robbed Manchester’s Yanick Lehoux on the third shot of a point-blank series. Lehoux entered the game tied for second in AHL scoring. With his family visiting from Ontario, rookie Ryan Ramsay capped the night, scoring his first pro goal at 3:10 of the third. Mathieu Garon took the loss in net with 24 saves, and saw his AHL unbeaten streak of 15 games snapped. The streak dated back to the 2002-03 season when he played for Hamilton.

2008 vs Portland 5-3 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks skated into Wednesday night’s game with confidence following two big wins over the weekend, but were no match for rookie forward Nathan Gerbe. The former Boston College standout scored three goals, including the unassisted game-winner, as the Portland Pirates downed the Sharks by a 5-3 score at the DCU Center in a battle for the Unum Cup. Both teams tallied even-strength goals in the early going despite combining for just four shots through the first half of the period. Portland struck first, as winger Mark Mancari took advantage of a misplay in front of the Sharks net, stuffing the loose puck under Worcester netminder Thomas Greiss at 9:23. The Sharks answered back immediately, however, as Cory Larose found Tom Cavanagh slicing diagonally across the slot just 15 seconds after the faceoff. Cavanagh went top shelf to tie the game at 1-1, just barely clearing the glove of Pirate goaltender Jhonas Enroth. As the first period wound down, two straight penalties against the Sharks gave Portland a 5-on-3 advantage. Crisp puck work from Mancari and linemate Tim Kennedy produced a clean, close range look for Nathan Gerbe, who beat Greiss to the near post to give the Pirates a 2-1 lead after twenty minutes. Worcester nearly pulled even during a power play early in the middle frame, but Enroth went post to post to deny Steven Zalewski’s doorstep one-timer set up by a brilliant feed from Mike Morris. Shortly after killing off an interference call on Kyle McLaren, a slashing minor assessed to Brendan Buckley gave Portland their second man advantage of the period. Mancari stepped up again on the power play, this time as the recipient of a cross-ice feed from Gerbe, and doubled the Portland lead at 7:41. Enroth protected the lead with a number of difficult saves before Zalewski got his revenge with 1:15 remaining in the frame. Enroth got in the way of a fifty foot slap shot from Morris but could not recover as Zalewski buried the rebound to notch his first goal of the season. Morris completed the Sharks comeback early in the third, picking up a goal of his own at 4:29. Ryan Vesce played the puck to Morris just outside the crease, and Morris baited Enroth before lifting the puck stick side to tie the game. Portland regained the lead when Gerbe intercepted the puck in neutral ice and beat Greiss on a clean breakaway. After Enroth denied the Sharks on two golden chances on a late power play, Gerbe completed his hat trick with an empty net goal. The Portland Pirates and the Worcester Sharks will battle through a 10 game series for the Unum Cup. A fan at each game will be named the Unum Fan of the Game and receive a jersey and five tickets to a future game. At the end of the series, one fan from each city who guessed the correct total will be named the Grand Prize Winner, receiving a prize and the chance to help present the Cup to the winning team.

2010 vs Albany 3-2 SOL
(WORSHARKS) Jonathan Cheechoo scored a goal and added and assist but Matt Anderson force overtime and scored again in the shootout as the Sharks fell 3-2 in the shootout to the Albany Devils at the DCU Center in Worcester on Friday night. Tommy Wingels also scored for the Sharks and James Marcou added two assists while Carter Hutton made 37 saves in his 2nd straight start for Worcester. Mike Moore played very well defensively in his first game back from San Jose. The first period breezed by with very few whistles, no scoring, and no penalties as the Sharks outshot Albany 11-6 through twenty minutes. Jonathan Cheechoo hit the crossbar with a terrific shot from the right circle for the best scoring chance in a hard checking first period. In the second period, Nick Palmieri (1st) gave the Devils a 1-0 lead at 7:36 as he broke down the right wing and first a snap shot from the right circle through the pads of Carter Hutton. Less than five minutes later, Tommy Wingels (4th) fired a backhander past Mike McKenna at 12:16 after Jonathan Cheechoo’s shot was blocked to tie the score at 1-1. Shots were 18-14 in favor of the Sharks through forty minutes. The Sharks took their first lead of the game with a power play strike by Jonathan Cheechoo (4th) at 3:53 to open the third period. Cheechoo finished a beautiful give-and-go with James Marcou ripping a snap shot off the crossbar and in from the low right slot. The Devils would tie the score late in the third period with Mike McKenna on the bench for an extra attacker. Matt Anderson skated off the left wall to on top of the circles and fired a puck through a screen and off the post at 19:13 to force overtime. There was no scoring in overtime as the Devils outshot the Sharks 2-1 in the extra session. In the shootout, Matt Anderson was the only shooter to score, striking in the 5th round through the five-hole of Hutton to complete the comeback for the Devils. The Sharks overall record falls to 4-3-1-2 (11pts) and to 2-1-1-1 (4pts) at the DCU Center.

2011 vs St. John’s 3-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) Brodie Reid scored his first professional goal for Worcester and the Sharks outshot the IceCaps 31-20, but lost 3-1 to St. John’s at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Edward Pasquale made 30 saves in net for the Ice Caps for their third straight victory. Tyson Sexsmith was solid in goal for Worcester making 17 saves as the Sharks fell to 0-2-0-1 on their season long six game home stand which continues on Friday afternoon vs. the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Both teams came out flying in the opening period with several great end to end rushes and continuous play but it was the IceCaps with the only score. Shawn Weller (3rd) sent a beautiful deflection past Tyson Sexsmith on the power play at 14:25 after a shot from the point by Jason DeSantis to give St. John’s a 1-0 advantage. Curt Gogol (3rd FM) and Ben Chiarot (1st FM) had a terrific toe-to-toe scrap at 12:48 to ignite the DCU Center crowd after Gogol landed a right hand that dropped the bigger Chiarot. Both teams fired seven shots in the first period. Brodie Reid (1st) scored his first professional goal after a great interception by Brandon Mashinter inside the IceCaps blue line. Mashinter stole the puck, sent it towards the net, and Reid banged home a loose rebound past Edward Pasquale at 9:20. Patrice Cormier sent Ryan Del Monte to the locker room after a low check behind the play which led to Sharks captain Mike Moore (1st FM) challenging the young forward to a fight at 12:29. The rest of the period was filled with several post whistle scrums and battles. The score was tied 1-1 after two periods of play. Worcester outshot the IceCaps 12-5 in the third period but it was Shawn Weller (4th) that roofed a backhand shot just inside the cross bar on the power play at 11:32 to put St. John’s up 2-1. The Sharks had several great chances late, including a 5-on-3 power play with five minutes remaining, but IceCaps goaltender Edward Pasquale shut the door for his 4th straight victory. Patrice Cormier (2nd) added an empty netter with 11 seconds left to seal the 3-1 win for St. John’s. The Sharks record falls to 4-2-0-2 with 10 points and to 2-2-0-1 at the DCU Center.

2014 vs Lehigh Valley 4-3 win
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (6-3-1-0, 13pts) held on for a wild 4-3 victory over the visiting Lehigh Valley Phantoms (4-4-1-0, 9pts) in front of 1,585 fans at the DCU Center on Wednesday evening. Trailing 3-2 midway through the third period, the Sharks scored twice within 62 seconds as Daniil Tarasov tied it at 8:51 and Ryan Carpenter netted the game winner with a shorthanded tally at 9:52. The Phantoms hit the cross bar while shorthanded late in the third period with the goaltender pulled, the Sharks benefited from a possible icing waved off late, and Darroll Powe received a match penalty after the final horn after a late hit on Melker Karlsson. Jeremy Langlois scored his first two goals of the season, Freddie Hamilton extended his point streak to six games with a pair of assists, and Troy Grosenick picked up his AHL leading 6th win of the season with 32 saves in the Worcester cage. The Phantoms grabbed a 1-0 lead at 5:10 after rookie Taylor Leier (2nd) finished off a give and go from the left circle past Troy Grosenick with a power play goal. The Sharks would tie the score at 1-1 as a Sharks penalty expired; Freddie Hamilton extended his point streak to six games after his centering pass deflected off Jeremy Langlois (1st) and past rookie goaltender Anthony Stolarz at 17:14. Lehigh Valley outshot Worcester 12-10 through 20 minutes of play with the score tied 1-1. Each team scored again in the middle frame, but this time the Sharks would strike first. For a 7th straight game, Worcester would score on the power play as Jeremy Langlois (2nd) roofed a rebound from on top of the crease for his second of the game with Taylor Fedun and Matt Taormina assisting at 11:15. Lehigh Valley tied the score a 2-2 after the Sharks failed to clear the puck and Jesper Pettersson fired a shot from the center point which was deflected to a wide open Petr Straka (3rd) at 18:39. The Phantoms held a 21-19 shot advantage through 40 minutes. Three goals were scored within a 1:50 spell midway through the third period with the Sharks netting a pair for the victory. Lehigh Valley went ahead 3-2 after a terrific rush by Brandon Alderson (2nd) at 8:02 down the right wing side. The Sharks battled right back just 49 seconds later as Daniil Tarasov (3rd) extended his point streak to five games as he fired home a rebound to knot the score at 3-3. Worcester scored their first shorthanded goal of the season at 9:52 as Ryan Carpenter (3rd) fired home a Rylan Schwartz rebound for the eventual game winning goal. The Sharks survived the final 60 seconds as the Phantoms pulled the goalie while shorthanded and Lehigh Valley peppered Troy Grosenick and hit the cross bar in the final movements. An apparent icing against the Sharks with 12 seconds remaining was waved off, which angered the Phantoms bench and Darroll Powe was whistled for a match penalty as the horn sounded. The Sharks overall record improves to 6-3-1-0, 13pts, and 4-2-1-0, 9pts at the DCU Center.

2017 vs Reading 3-1 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (5-3-1-0, 11pts) two game winning streak came to an end after a 3-1 home loss to the visiting Reading Royals (5-2-0-0, 10pts) in front 3,502 fans at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon. Eamon McAdam made 33 saves for Worcester while Matty Gaudreau scored the only Railers goal in the loss. Mark Dekanich turned aside 25 shots while Nick Luukko scored the game winner midway through the third period. The Royals controlled the first period of play which included nine minutes worth of power play time but it was an even strength goal by Matt Willows (3rd) at 11:49 that was deflected off a Worcester stick that ended up for the only score. Eamon McAdam was spectacular in net as Worcester was outshot 14-5 in the opening frame that saw Mike Cornell (3rd FM) get ejected for dropping Ryan Penny with a series of uppercuts. Reading led 1-0 through 20 minutes. Shots were 10-7 in the middle frame but the score would remain 1-0 headed into the second intermission. Royals goaltender Mark Dekanich had 16 saves while Eamon McAdam had 20 for Worcester through 40 minutes of play. Nick Luukko (1st) made it 2-0 Reading after he found a loose rebound at the side of the net and flipped it past McAdam at 4:39. Matty Gaudreau got the Railers on the board at 13:46 after a Yanick Turcotte centering feed from behind the net went off Matty and into the net. With McAdam pulled for the extra attacker, Mark Naclerio (3rd) found an empty net to seal the Royals 3-1 road victory.

2022 vs Norfolk 4-2 win
(RAILERS) Ice is not made of paper, which is why the Railers’ seventh straight victory to start the season was such a struggle Saturday night. They beat the Norfolk Admirals — prevailed is the word, actually — by a 4-2 margin, the last Worcester goal coming into an empty net. The Railers were a perfect 6-0-0 heading into the game, the Admirals an imperfect 1-5-0. Worcester was at home, etc. The odds were heavily in the Railers favor but the home team had to come back to win. “There is no such thing as an easy game in this league,” Worcester coach Jordan Smotherman said. “The difference between top and bottom is not that far, and I think that team caught us off guard and they gave it a heck of an effort.” The teams play again Sunday afternoon and the Railers have even a little extra incentive. They could tie the city pro record for longest winning streak at eight straight, something the Sharks did in January, 2015. They could also tie the ECHL record for most consecutive victories to start the season. Jacob Hayhurst, Liam Coughlin, Jared Brandt and Anthony Repaci had the Railers goals, Repaci getting the empty-netter. The other three all scored their first of the season. Brandt’s was his first in a Worcester uniform. The Railers outshot Norfolk, 39-17, and Admirals goalie Cale Morris was excellent. The Worcester power play was not, though, converting just 1 of 7 chances. That was not entirely the power play’s fault, however. “I will say it tonight and this is not an excuse,” Smotherman said, “but our ice was terrible. A couple of our turnovers the puck just died on us. There was something about the humidity in the building. “But that’s not an excuse. We still have to bear down.” The Railers converted a Norfolk turnover to take a 1-0 lead about halfway into the first period. Jimmy Lambert gained control of the puck along the right boards and spotted Hayhurst alone between the circles. Lambert’s pass was perfect. Hayhurst had time to make two moves and popped a short backhander home at 9:18. Worcester squandered a chance or two or three to extend that lead later in the period, though. The Admirals paraded to the penalty box starting at 11:01 and the Railers spent the next 7:20 on a power play of some variety. For 40 of those seconds they had a two-man advantage. Norfolk took advantage of Worcester’s failure to convert on the power play and went ahead in the early minutes of the second period as Luke Prokop and Joe Widmar scored. Prokop got his first of the season at 1:42 as he beat Henrik Tikkanen to the glove side with a 45-foot snap shot. The Railers applied more consistent pressure as the period progressed and swarmed all over Morris to no avail. Sure enough, the Admirals finally gained control of the puck and Aidan Brown and Widmar crashed the Worcester zone with a 2-on-1. Tikkanen stopped Brown’s shot but not Widmar’s rebound. Norfolk had a 2-1 lead at 5:37. The Railers tied it at 11:48, finally taking advantage of a power play. Coughlin scored his first goal of the season, deflecting Noah Delmas’ shot from about 20 feet out. Worcester continued to pour it on after that but barely missed on a couple of great chances and was denied by Morris otherwise. Brandt snapped the tie at 2:07 of the third period, sending a 45-footer through a screen and past Morris’ glove. With their speed taking over, the Railers dominated the rest of the period and Repaci finally nailed down the decision at the buzzer. MAKING TRACKS – The Railers have scored 33 goals in their first seven games, a city record. The 2004-05 IceCats had 29 in their first seven. … Nick Schaus returned to the DCU Center after an 11-year hiatus, playing defense for Norfolk. Schaus made his pro debut for the Sharks late in 2009-10 and spend the entire 2010-11 season in Worcester. His last game here was April 5, 2011. He wore Number 6 with the Sharks and has Number 55 with Norfolk. … The teams play again here at 3:05 Sunday afternoon. …Schaus was not the only Worcester alum in the building. Terry Virtue and Shawn Heaphy from the first IceCats team were on hand as was Mike Mottau from the last IceCats team. … Brandt was plus-3 for the night. … Tikkanen is 3-0-0 and has allowed just five goals in those three games. … Attendance was 4,477.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: