Today in Worcester hockey history: November 10


1995 vs Portland 6-4 win
The Worcester IceCats got two goals each from Paul Broten, Patrice Tardif, and Jarrett Deuling to defeat the Pirates 6-4. Broten got the ‘Cats on the board with an unassisted goal at 3:19 of the opening period, and Dueling made it 2-0 with a goal at 7:58 assisted by Christer Olsson and Terry Virtue. Jeff Nelson cut the IceCats lead in half with a tally at 9:57. Fifty-seven seconds into the middle stanza Tardif scored with helpers to Craig Darby and Jamie Rivers. Broten got his second of the contest on the power play at 3:52, with Virtue and Tardif picking up the assists. Portland grabbed the next two goals to make it 4-3, with Martin Gendron scoring at 19:12 of the second and Andrew Brunette lighting the lamp at 1:20 of the third. Both were on the power play. Tardif got his second of the game at 7:18, assisted by Steve Staios and Rivers, and then Dueling picked up his second with helpers from Rivers and Chris Kenady. Gendron capped the scoring with a goal at 16:08. Eric Fichaud made 29 saves in the win.

1997 vs Springfield 4-3 loss
The Worcester IceCats needed a third period comeback to get the game even, but a late power play goal by the Falcons gave them the game 4-3. Ivan Ciernik got the ‘Cats on the board first with a goal at 5:02. Jamal Mayers and Robert Petrovicky had the helpers. But the next three goals would belong to Springfield, with Rob Murray scoring at 7:21, and Jason Morgan (5:46) and Martin Simard (13:41) scoring in the second period. Bob Lachance would stop the bleeding with a power play goal at 6:23 of the third, with Michal Handzus picking up an assist. Petrovicky would then tie the game at 9:10, with help from Shayne Toporowski and Libor Zabransky. But then the IceCats got into penalty trouble, and Morgan scored a five on three power play goal at 15:54 to win the game for Springfield. Frederic Cassivi had 28 saves in the loss.

1998 at Springfield 6-3 win
The Worcester IceCats held the Falcons to 19 shots in the contest, including blanking them in the third period, to help defeat the Falcons 6-3. With injuries hitting the goaltending depth chart in both St. Louis and Worcester, rookie Dan Murphy got the start and the ‘Cats played a defensive game to help protect their netminder. Even doing that, Derek Bekar and Lubos Bartecko had two goals apiece, with Andrej Podkonicky and Shayne Toporowski getting the other Worcester goals. Matt Smith and Daniel Corso both had two assists. [210Sports note: Falcons defenseman Dan Focht suffered a broken leg during the game and was taken to a nearby hospital via ambulance.]

1999 at Hartford 3-0 win
(TICKER) Brent Johnson made 36 saves and Daniel Corso had a goal and an assist to lead the Worcester IceCats to a 3-0 blanking of the Hartford Wolf Pack. Johnson improved to 5-3-1 by turning aside seven shots in the first period, 10 in the second and 19 in the third. Corso put Worcester on the board with his fourth goal of the season at 13:04 of the first period. Sylvain Blouin and Derek Bekar also scored for the IceCats, who are unbeaten in their last four contests. Jean-Francois Labbe stopped 31 shots for Hartford, which had a four-game winning streak halted.

2000 at Providence 4-3 win
(TICKER) Jaroslav Obsut recorded a goal and two assists to lead the Worcester Ice Cats past the Providence Bruins, 4-3. Obsut opened the scoring on the power play with 2:06 remaining in the first period and later assisted on Ladislav Nagy’s power-play goal 55 seconds later. Mark Rycroft added a power-play marker in the third period for Worcester. Dwayne Roloson stopped 27 shots, including all 10 in the first frame, to help Worcester snap a three-game winless streak (1-2-1). Cameron Mann scored a goal and had two assists for Providence in defeat. Sean Matile allowed four goals on 24 shots before being relieved in the third period.

2001 vs Hamilton 4-4 tie
The Worcester IceCats had a two goal lead in the third period but had to settle for a 4-4 tie against the Bulldogs. Jame Pollock had the only goal in the opening twenty minutes at 4:56, with assists going to Igor Valeev and Ed Campbell. Greg Leeb tied it for Hamilton at 6:33 of the middle period, but at 19:16 Greg Davis gave Worcester its lead back with Valeev and Andrei Troschinsky helping. Jason Chimera tied it again for the Bulldogs at :46 of the third period on the power play, but two goals in 27 seconds gave Worcester a 4-2 lead. Pollock had the first at 7:49 with Daniel Tkaczuk and Dale Clarke picking up points, and Eric Boguniecki connected on the second one at 8:16 with Tkaczuk assisting again. But Hamilton would tie it on goals by Ales Pisa (11:32) and Chimera (15:09) for the 4-4 tie. Cody Rudkowsky made 34 saves in earning the point.

2003 vs Lowell 6-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats allowed four first period goals and never got anything going in a 6-1 loss to the Lock Monsters. Sergei Varlamov had the only goal for the ‘Cats, scoring at 7:31 of the third to spoil Patrick DesRochers’ shutout bid for Lowell. Mike Stuart and Mike Glumac had the assists on the goal. Chris Corrinet picked up 34 penalty minutes at 19:42 of the third, which included a double-major for spearing and fighting.

2006 vs San Antonio 5-3 win
(RAMPAGE) The Rampage scored three consecutive goals within four minutes but were unable to convert the win dropping a 5-3 decision to the AHL’s newest addition, the Worcester Sharks, at DCU Center Friday night. The Sharks put the first dent in the scoreboard with a Riley Armstrong goal almost eight minutes into the initial frame. Ten minutes later, Worcester’s leading goal scorer, Mathieu Darche, tallied his 13th goal of the season with the man-advantage to put the Sharks up 2-0 heading into the first intermission. The Rampage came back from intermission with a vengeance scoring three consecutive goals. Veteran Tyson Nash quickly started the rally with a goal 51 seconds in as Jakub Koreis was credited with the helper. A little over a minute later, Rampage scoring leader, Yanick Lehoux, knotted his fifth goal of the season to tie the game 2-2. Daniel Winnik and Pascal Rheaume each collected assists on the play. Josh Gratton, who joined the team November 8, registered his first Rampage goal at the 4:52 mark to help his team establish their first lead of the game. Keith Yandle posted an assist along with Koreis for his second assist of the night. The Rampage’s lead lasted only a minute until Armstrong struck again with his second score before Mike Iggulden swooped in 14 seconds later with another Worcester goal to retake the lead. Rampage Goaltender Philippe Sauve allowed only one goal through the final session when Grant Stevenson found a hole to assure the Shark’s a 5-3 victory. The Rampage matched their opponent with 38 shots on goal.

2007 at Houston 5-1 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks allowed four goals in the 3rd period as the Houston Aeros defeated the Sharks 5-1 in Houston on Saturday night. Neither team could score in the first period as the Sharks (6-4-1-0) played well out shooting the Houston Aeros 11-9 but were unable to score on Houston goaltender Barry Brust. Worcester Shark forward Graham Mink came close to scoring on the power play after he hit the cross bar after a rebound chance. Each team scored a power play goal in the second period. Peter Olvecky scored his 2nd goal of the season at 6:42. It was the 10th time in 11 games the Sharks had allowed the first goal of the hockey game. Mike Iggulden would tie the game at 1-1, scoring his 8th goal of the season after a heavy shot by Derek Joslin at 8:02. The goal by Iggulden was his 9th goal vs. Houston in nine games vs. the Aeros. The score was tied at 1-1 after 40 minutes of play. It was all Houston in the 3rd period as the Aeros scored four goals against Sharks goaltender Taylor Dakers (1-3-0). Petr Kalus, Moises Gutierrez, Morten Madsen, and Erik Reitz all scored in the 3rd period for the Aeros. The Aeros out shot the Sharks 16-6 in the final frame. The Sharks were 1-8 on the power-play and 4-7 on the penalty kill. Aeros Goaltender Barry Brust (3-4-0) made 34 saves in the victory. The Sharks finished the three game road trip 2-1-0-0.

2012 vs Connecticut 6-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) Sena Acolatse and Bracken Kearns registered goals for the Worcester Sharks (5-5-1-1) in a 6-2 loss against the Connecticut Whale (5-5-1-0) on Saturday night in front of 3,215 fans at the DCU Center. Cameron Talbot picked up the win in net for the Whale, stopping 21 of 23 shots that he faced. Sena Acolatse (1-1-2) and John McCarthy (0-2-2) each had multi-point games for Worcester in the loss. Christian Thomas (2-0-2), Chris Kreider (0-2-2), Kris Newbury (1-2-3), Chad Kolarik (0-2-2), and Matt Gilroy (0-2-2) all had multi point nights for the Whale as Worcester fell to 4-2-1-0 on home ice at the DCU Center. Harri Sateri allowed five goals on 24 shots in net for Worcester. The Whale got on the board first at 1:24 of the first period; when Kris Newbury (5th) got the puck wide open in the slot and wristed one past Harri Sateri on the glove side, giving Connecticut a 1-0 lead. Connecticut increased their lead to 2-0 on the power play at 14:40 when Christian Thomas (3rd) was the beneficiary of a bad bounce off of a Sharks defenseman, receiving the puck all alone on the left wing and sneaking it by Sateri. The Sharks trailed 2-0 after 20 minutes of play with each team registering seven shots on goal. The Whale struck again in the second, when Logan Pyett (2nd) received a nice feed from Chris Kreider and fired it to the back of the net, making it a 3-0 game. Each team was 0-for-2 on the power play in the period as Worcester was down 3-0 after 40 minutes. The Sharks cut into their deficit just 49 seconds into the third period on the power play when Sena Acolatse (4th) fired a shot over the shoulder of Connecticut goaltender Cameron Talbot to cut the lead to 3-1. However, the Whale answered right back with a power play goal of their own at 3:22 when J.T. Thomas (4th) sent a one-timer from the point to the back of the cage. The Whale then added to their lead on a goal by Tommy Grant (5th), who got a nice feed from Matt Gilroy and tapped it to the back of the net, giving Connecticut a 5-1 lead. The Sharks showed some fight late as Kearns (5th) buried one on a pass from Acolatse at 15:51, making it 5-2. The Whale once again answered back, when J.T. Miller (2nd) scored an empty net goal, making it a 6-2 final. A major scrum ensued at 19:20 of the third period, but the referees intervened before Curt Gogol and Newbury could square off. The Sharks overall record falls to 5-5-1-1 (12pts in 12gp) and 4-2-1-0 (9pts in 7gp) at the DCU Center this season.

2013 vs Portland 4-3 loss
(WORSHARKS) Adam Comrie, Nick Petrecki and James Livingston all picked up goals for the Worcester Sharks (3-7-0-0, 6pts) but were unable to defeat the Portland Pirates (4-5-0-1, 9pts) for the second time this weekend, falling 4-3. The Sharks trailed 1-0, 2-1, but led 3-2 early in the third period before Chris Brown scored twice in a 3 :26 span to life the Pirates to a 4-3 victory. Despite keeping penalty minutes to a minimum, the Sharks were unable to hold on to the lead, partly due to strong performances from Portland’s Tobias Rieder, Chris Brown and Tim Kennedy, each with two points. The Pirates took an early lead in the opening period at 3:55 when Tobias Rieder (3rd) took advantage of a loose puck in front of the goal and pinged one off the crossbar and into the net past Harri Sateri for an unassisted goal. The Sharks answered at 12:17 during their first power play opportunity when Adam Comrie (1st) wristed a shot from the top of the left circle past Mark Visentin on an assist from Sena Acolatse. Rieder (4th) got his second goal of the night and gave the Pirates back the lead at 16:59 when he wristed the puck through traffic from the right circle, assisted by Tim Kennedy and Brandon Yip. The Sharks outshot Portland 11-5 but trailed 2-1 after 20 minutes. Nick Petrecki (1st) evened the score at 6:58 when he wristed the puck high past Visentin with assists from Tarasov and Hamilton. Worcester goaltender Sateri settled down in the second period, going 8-for-8, and looking especially strong in the final minutes of the period when a slew of Worcester penalties forced a 5-on-3 situation. The Sharks put a lot of pressure on net throughout the whole period, outshooting the Pirates 14-8. Worcester went into the final period still on the penalty kill with Petrecki and Tennyson in the box. Worcester’s penalty kill unit was spectacular in the opening minutes of the final period, weathering a 5-on-3 and then 5-on-4 before returning to even strength. At 3:52 the Sharks grabbed their first lead of the game, going up 3-2 when James Livingston (2nd) wristed the puck into the top corner of the net on a beautiful feed from Acolatse, his second assist of the game. Portland answered a few minutes later at 8:01 when Chris Brown (2nd) slipped one under Sateri’s left leg to even the score. Shortly after at 11:27, Brown (3rd) picked up his second goal of the night with a slap shot from the top of the left circle on a feed from Kennedy, putting the Pirates up 4-3. Worcester pulled their goalie at 18:40, but the extra attacker wasn’t enough as they ultimately fell 4-3. The Sharks outshot the Pirates 8-4 in the closing frame. The Sharks overall record falls to 3-7-0-0, 6pts and 2-5-0-0, 4pts on home ice.

2018 at Maine 3-1 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC(3-8-1-0, 7pts) had another solid effort but dropped a frustrating 3-1 decision to the host Maine Mariners (5-5-0-1, 9pts) in front of 5,003 fansat the Cross Arena on Saturday evening. Barry Almeida gave the Railers a 1-0 lead in the first period while Evan Buitenhuis made 31 saves in net. Brandon Halverson made 32 saves for the Mariners in his second win of the season and Maine rattled off three unanswered goals as the Railers dropped to 0-6-1-0 in their last seven games overall. Barry Almeida (4th) gave Worcester a 1-0 lead at 17:50 after a great entry into the zone by Tyler Barnes who carried in down the right wing side and fed Almeida from behind the net. Maine would tie the score at 19:14 on the powerplay as Scott Savage (2nd) fired a wicked one-timer from the right circle assisted by Sean Day and Drew Melanson. Shots were 10-9 in favor of Maine through 20 minutes of play. Worcester outshot Maine 18-12 in a scoreless second period as both goaltenders made several nice stops to keep the game tied 1-1 through 40 minutes of play. The Mariners would grab their first lead of the game as Mike McNicholas (1st) scored his first professional goal at 6:51 of the third period to give Maine the 2-1 advantage. A near line brawl broke out at 14:46 after Railers captain Mike Cornell was cross checked in the corner and despite the Railers down a skater, the penalty calls were evened off. Maine put in an empty netter when the Railers were on the power play at 17:37 as Ryan Culkin (2nd) fired a bullseye from 200 feet.

2019 at Adirondack 6-2 Loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (4-6-0-0, 8pts) lost 6-2 to the Adirondack Thunder (6-3-0-2, 14pts)on Sunday afternoon in front of 3,351 at the Cool Insuring Arena. The Railers are back home this Wednesday for the annual School Day Game vs. the Reading Royals at 10am. Cody Payne and Matt Schmalz scored goals for the Railers as Worcester was defeated by the Adirondack 6-2. Linus Soderstrom made 39 saves in the loss while Adirondack got goals from Ara Nazarian (2), Alex Carrier, Mike Szmatula, Matt Salhany, Connor Riley. Evan Cormier made 32 saves in his first win of the season for the Thunder and was named number one star. Adirondack got on the board just 3:49 into the first period as Ara Nazarian (2nd) collected a pass in the right circle and sent a backhand shot by Linus Soderstrom to take a 1-0 lead. Alex Carrier (1st) gave the Thunder a 2-0 advantage beating Linus Soderstrom through the five-hole at 6:30. Adirondack outshot Worcester 18-8. In the second period Cody Payne (3rd) answered for Worcester at 11:14 throwing one towards the net from behind the goal line which hit off an Adirondack players skate and past Evan Cormier cutting the deficit to 2-1. The Thunder responded with a goal of their own just 1:34 later on a rebound finished off by Mike Szmatula (3rd). The Thunder held a slight edge in shots in the middle frame 15-14, and 33-22 through the first 40 minutes of play. Matt Salhany (2nd) redirected a shot from the point to give the Thunder a 4-1 lead at 7:28 of the third period. Just 27 seconds later Worcester was able to answer as Matt Schmalz (2nd) received a beautiful feed from Jordan Samuels-Thomas making it a two-goal game with 12:05 to play. The Thunder added two more goals, one an empty netter from Connor Riley (2nd), and an even strength score from Ara Nazarian (3rd), in the final two minutes of the third period to defeat Worcester 6-2. Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star…. Jake Linhart (0-4-4, +5) 2nd star: Ara Nazarian (2-0-2, +2, 6 shots) 1st star: Evan Cormier (32 saves, Win) final shots were 45-34 in favor of Adirondack…. Evan Cormier (1-1-0) made 32 saves on 34 shots for Adirondack.… Linus Soderstrom (1-3-0) made 39 saves on 44 shots for Worcester while Evan Buitenhuis served as the backup…. Worcester went 0-for-3 on the power play while Adirondack went 0-for-4…. Ivan Chukarov (inj), Tanner Pond (inj), Justin Murray and Chris Rygus did not dress for Worcester…. Shane Walsh led the Railers with seven shots…. Yanick Turcotte received a misconduct in the third period and a game high 14 penalty minutes…. Jack Stander made his Railers debut finishing minus two….Mike Cornell, Nic Pierog, and Jakub Skarek are currently on recall with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers…. Worcester is now 18-9-2-0 all-time vs. the Thunder and 11-5-1-0 at the Cool Insuring Arena.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: