Today in Worcester hockey history: December 2


1995 at Providence 5-0 loss
The Worcester IceCats had, according to the game notes, “no gas”, and it showed in the 5-0 final score. Cam Stewart (3:42, shorthanded) and Ryan Hughes (14:35) scored in the first period, while Tim Sweeney (:53, power play) and Martin Simard (2:22) scored in the second. Stewart scored on a penalty shot at 13:38 of the third for the 5-0 final. Blaine Lacher had 16 saves in the first two periods before giving way to Rob Tallas (13 saves) in the third. Mike Buzak had 27 saves for the ‘Cats in the loss.

1998 at Fredericton 4-1 win
(FREDERICTON) The Worcester IceCats defeated the Fredericton Canadiens 4-1 before 2,145 fans at the Aitken Centre. Tyler Willis broke a scoreless tie with his goal at 2:27 of the second period and Dan Corso struck just 43 seconds later. Lubos Bartecko and Tyler Nash had the other goals for the IceCats in the final stop of their four-game road trip. Marc Beaucage ruined goaltender Brent Johnson’s bid for a shutout with his goal at 8:20 of the final period. Garon wasn’t around at the end. Bartecko’s goal at 14:10 of the second chased him from the net. Willis began the scoring when blasted one from the right face-off circle that bounded off Garon’s trapper and fluttered behind him at 2:27. A mere 43 seconds later Corso scored. Shayne Toporowski did the hard work, stickhandling right to the lip of the crease before dishing off to Corso. He simply had to tip it past Garon for his sixth of the season at 3:10. Bartecko put it on ice when, after he misfired on a breakaway pass to Yake, he followed to the net. Yake passed it back from the left wing corner and Bartecko tipped it past Garon to make it 3-0 and send the rookie goalie to the showers, to be replaced by backup Philippe de Rouville. Nash poked one under the pad of the sprawled goaltender from the side of the net six and a half minutes into the final frame. Johnson, by contrast, had a relatively easy night between the pipes, the kind you need when you’re making your 10th straight start, as he was. There was but one flurry of pressure by the Canadiens all night – midway through the second during that run of power plays. But past that stretch of four minutes or so, he had it pretty easy, turning aside 24 shots in all. Beaucage tipped Stephane Robidas’ point shot past Johnson to ruin his bid for his second shutout.

2000 at St. John’s 3-1 win
(TICKER) Dwayne Roloson stopped 41 shots as the Worcester IceCats defeated the St. John’s Flames, 3-1. Roloson won his fourth game in a row by helping to stop all six of St. John’s power-play opportunities. Mark Rycroft opened up the scoring at 2:21 in the second period and Marty Reasoner added a tally with 2:45 remaining in the middle frame for Worcester. Dale Clarke rounded out the scoring with under two minutes left in the third stanza as the IceCats won their sixth straight. Allan Rourke scored his second goal of the season at the 9:54 mark in the third period as the Maple Leafs dropped their third straight. Jimmy Waite turned aside 34 shots in the losing effort and fell to 5-10-2.

2001 at Manchester 3-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats played a game where goaltender Travis Scott had 42 saves. The bad part about it was Scott was playing for the Monarchs, and he led them to a 3-1 victory. Eric Boguniecki scored 57 seconds into the first period, assisted Eric Nickulas and Jeff Panzer. And that was the only shot to get past Scott. Dane Jackson tied the game at 5:07 on the power play, and Rob Valicevic drilled home a 50-footer at the midway mark of the frame, and that was enough for Scott and Manchester. Eric Healey made it the 3-1 final at 15:05 of the second period. Curtis Sanford made 30 saves in the loss.

2006 at Norfolk 4-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) One night after saddling the Norfolk Admirals with their first regulation home loss of the year, the Worcester Sharks failed to keep pace with one of the AHL’s top scoring offenses and came up short by the score of 4-2. The loss dropped the Sharks to 1-1 on the three-game weekend road trip and saw the team fall into a three-way tie for fourth place in the Atlantic Division with Manchester and Springfield.

2011 vs Springfield 4-3 win OT
(WORSHARKS) The Sharks battled back from three different one goal deficits and broke a three game skid with a 4-3 overtime victory over the Springfield Falcons at the DCU Center on Friday evening. John McCarthy, Ryan Del Monte, Cam MacIntyre, and Matt Irwin scored for the Sharks and Harri Sateri made 22 saves in the victory. Worcester fired 40 shots and Justin Braun recorded two assists in his first game back to Worcester after being loaned from San Jose. The Falcons struck first at 3:10 after a great slap pass by Aaron Bogosian from the Sharks blue line to the side of the net to rookie Wade MacLeod (2nd) who then deflected the puck pass Harri Sateri to give Springfield a 1-0 lead. After the Falcons score, it was all Worcester in the first period, guided by three power play chances. On the second power play chance, John McCarthy (3rd) backhanded a rebound through netminder Manny Legace to tie the score at 1-1 at 11:02. Matt Irwin and Justin Braun collected assists on the tally for Worcester. The Sharks outshot the Falcons 18-6 in the opening frame. The Falcons took the lead twice more in a feisty 2nd period. Cam Atkinson (10th) scored on the power play after a great across the top of the crease feed by Martin St. Pierre at 5:25. Ryan Del Monte (1st) tied the score at 2-2, roofing the puck past Legace after a terrific pass by Tony Lucia that led Del Monte behind the Falcons defense at 14:55. Ryan Russell (9th) somehow scored a disputed goal after a puck came bouncing from behind the Worcester net and apparently snuck in behind Sateri at 18:13. Sena Acolatse (3rd FM) dropped Falcons captain Dane Byers (4th FM) with a series of rights at 5:53 in a physical second period. Springfield outshot Worcester 13-12 in the middle frame and took a 3-2 lead into the 2nd intermission. Cam MacIntyre (4th) tied the score again for Worcester at 1:23 of the third period after a faceoff win deep in the Falcons zone and a Nick Petrecki shot from the left point. MacIntyre flipped the loose rebound over the head of the Springfield goaltender to tie the score 3-3. Both teams held down the fort defensively as the game headed into overtime. Matt Irwin (7th) won the game for Worcester at 2:22 of overtime after Ryan Del Monte’s shot was deflected wide into the right corner and gathered by the Sharks defenseman. Irwin was allowed to skate towards the top of the crease and jam the puck past Legace as the Sharks broke a three game losing skid. The Sharks record improves to 7-6-3-2 with 19 points through 18 games and to 5-5-0-1 at the DCU Center.

2012 at Providence 3-2 win SO
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (11-8-1-1, 24pts) picked up their 6th road win in their last seven tries in a 3-2 shootout win over the Providence Bruins (9-8-0-2, 20pts) on Sunday afternoon in front of 5,315 fans at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Tim Kennedy extended his point streak to six games (6-5-11) with his team leading 11th goal and 5th goal of the weekend. Harri Sateri made 51 saves in net for the victory and was 5-for-5 in the shootout as Worcester improved to 3-0-0-0 against the Bruins this season. The Sharks host the Providence Bruins on Saturday, December 8th at the DCU Center at 7pm on Matt Irwin Bobble Head Night. The Sharks allowed a season high 25 shots on goals but were able to manage a 1-1 tie through 20 minutes of play. Christian Hanson (3rd) gave the Bruins a 1-0 lead after he deflected home a centering feed from the left wall by Matt Bartkowski past Harri Sateri at 14:23. The Sharks tied the score at 1-1 with the help of video replay at 19:27. Yanni Gourde (6th) broke into the Bruins zone shorthanded by himself and ripped a wicked snap shot from the left circle past Niklas Svedberg and off the upper post inside the net and out. The red light never went on, but after video review Yanni Gourde was awarded the score. Shots were 25-8 in favor of the Bruins after the first period. In the second period, Rookie Justin Florek (1st) gave Providence a 2-1 lead with a sneaky little shot from the side of the net after Worcester failed to clear the puck at 3:59. Red-hot Tim Kennedy (11th) tied the score for the Sharks with a terrific shot from the left circle at 10:32 to extend his point streak to six games (6-5-11). Worcester outshot the Bruins 13-12 in the middle frame as the two teams headed into the intermission tied at 2-2. Neither team found the back of the net in the third period with the Bruins holding a 9-7 shot advantage on the final frame. The Bruins fired seven more shots in the overtime period with Sateri standing strong as the game headed to the shootout. James Sheppard scored the only goal in the shootout as Harri Sateri made five saves on five shooters for his 3rd straight victory this season. The Sharks overall record improves to 11-8-1-1 (24pts in 21gp) and 6-4-0-1 (13pts in 11gp) on the road this season.

2014 at Portland 4-2 loss
(WORSHARKS) The Worcester Sharks (9-9-2-0, 20pts) began their four game road trip with a 4-2 loss to the host Portland Pirates (12-9-0-0, 24pts) in front of 1,344 fans at the Cross Insurance Arena on Tuesday night. The game was originally scheduled for Nov 26 but was postponed due to wintery weather. Worcester outshot Portland 45-19 in the contest but Mike McKenna made 43 saves in the Pirates net. The Pirates led 2-0 before Daniil Tarasov and Micheal Haley tied the score for Worcester but Justin Hodgman netted the game winner with 3:27 left in the third period. Neither team found the back of the net in a quick moving first period as Mike McKenna made 13 saves for the Pirates and JP Anderson made five saves for the Sharks. Worcester did not convert on the only power play of the period. Portland got on the board with their AHL leading 8th shorthanded goal after Jordan Martinook skated into the Worcester zone and feathered a cross ice pass to the right circle to Andrew Campbell (3rd) who then charged in and ripped a shot top shelf to give the Pirates a 1-0 lead at 9:43. Alexandre Bolduc (8th) made it 2-0 after he crashed the net and deflected home an Eric Selleck centering pass at 12:40. The Sharks struck on the power play as Daniil Tarasov (4th) deflected a slap pass from the point by Matt Taormina past Mike McKenna at 13:10 to trim the Pirates lead to 2-1. Worcester outshot the Pirates 14-8 in the second period but trailed 2-1 after 40 minutes. Michael Haley (7th) tied the score at 2-2 after Freddie Hamilton dug the puck from behind the Pirates net and found Haley at the side of the cage at 2:54 of the third period. Portland would take the lead again as Justin Hodgman (3rd) fired a wrister from the left circle through traffic and past JP Anderson at 16:33 as the Sharks trailed 3-2. Tyler Gaudet (3rd) finished things off with an empty net goal at 19:09 for a 4-2 Pirates victory. Worcester outshot Portland 14-5 in the third period. The Sharks overall record falls to 9-9-2-0, 20pts, and 3-5-0-0, 6pts on the road this season

2017 vs Manchester 3-2 loss
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (8-8-2-1, 19pts) returned home but fell to the visiting Manchester Monarchs (12-7-1-1, 26pts) in front 4,248 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday evening on a TRAX bobble giveaway presented by Worcester Telegram and Gazette. TJ Syner and Chris Langkow scored for Worcester but the Monarchs scored a power play goal in all three periods to send the Railers back to .500 with the loss. Eamon McAdam made 19 saves in net for Worcester but Charles Williams stood tall with 32 stops for the Monarchs as Manchester improved to 9-2-1-1 on the road this season. The Railers came out of the gates buzzing and grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the opening five minutes. TJ Syner (2nd) snapped a quick shot after a nice feed from behind the net by his cousin Barry Almeida at 4:22 that beat goaltender Charles Williams. Manchester got on the board with a power play goal at 16:54 as Kevin Morris (9th) deflected home a Colton Saucerman shot past goaltender Eamon McAdam to tie the score at 1-1. Manchester scored the only goal in the middle frame with another power play goal as Joel Lowry (9th) deflected a shot from on top of the crease at 11:56 to give Manchester a 2-1 lead. Eamon McAdam made ten saves in the second period as Worcester was outshot 11-8 and trailed 2-1 after forty minutes of play. The Monarchs took a two-goal lead with another power play goal at 10:43 of the third period as Matt Leitner (3rd) blazed a shot from the left circle through a screen. With the goaltender pulled, the Railers would strike at 17:51 as Chris Langkow (4th) fired a cross the slot pass on the one-timer into an empty net to cut the Monarchs lead to 3-2. Worcester would get a few more chances to tie as they fired 16 shots on goal in the third period but Manchester was able to hold off the late attack for the 3-2 road victory.

2018 vs Maine 3-2 win
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (9-10-2-0, 20pts) fired a season high 45 shots on goal and won their third straight game after a 3-2 victory over the visiting Maine Mariners(10-9-0-1, 21pts) in front of 2,596 fans at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon. Ryan Hitchcock, Matty Gaudreau, and Tyler Barnes all scored for Worcester while Mitch Gillam, making his fourth straight start, was excellent making 31 saves in net. Worcester fired 20 shots in the third period with Tyler Barnes scoring an unassisted game winner with just 35 seconds remaining to break a 2-2 tie. Each team found the back of the net in the opening period that saw a lot of back and forth play and scoring chances. Maine went ahead 1-0 as Ty Ronning (4th) sent a quick shot into the net after a faceoff win by Riley Bourbonnais at 15:42. Worcester tied the score just over a minute later as Ryan Hitchcock (1st) finished off a nice 3-on-1 rush with a one timer shot from the right circle after a feed from Tyler Barnes at 17:03. Shots were 14-13 in favor of Maine through 20 minutes of play. The Railers went ahead 2-1 at 9:11 of the second period as Matty Gaudreau (4th) took a centering feed on the rush from Austin Block and Gaudreau zipped a quick shot passed the blocker of Brandon Halverson. Maine would even the score at 10:43 with the 8thshorthanded goal of the season as Holy Cross alum Ryan Ferrill (2nd) raced in on a breakaway and snapped a shot off the crossbar and passed Mitch Gillam. Alex Vanier picked up his first fighting major of the season at 13:57 with a good bout with Ryan Ferrill behind the Maine net. Each team fired 12 shots in the middle frame as the two clubs headed into the second intermission tied at two. Worcester poured it on in the third period firing 20 shots on netminder Brandon Halverson but it was a lucky bounce that found Tyler Barnes (5th) all alone in front for the game winner at 19:25 of the third period to give the Railers a 3-2 home victory.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: