Today in Worcester hockey history: May 13


1998 at Hartford 8-2 loss (New England Division F, eliminated 4-3)
The Worcester IceCats were 60 minutes away from advancing to round three of the AHL’s Calder Cup playoffs, and by the time 40 of them had gone by the ‘Cats were all but eliminated in a 8-2 blow out loss. With Worcester down a goal in the first Michal Handzus would tie it at 15:24, with assists going to Shayne Toporowski and Bob Lachance. By the time the IceCats scored again, at 3:28 of the third by Bob Lachance, they were being outplayed by a large margin and were trailing 4-2. Chris Kenady and Rory Fitzpatrick had the assists. The Wolf Pack would add four more goals in the third for the 8-2 final. Brant Johnson made 25 saves in the loss.

2009 vs Providence 5-1 loss (Atlantic Division F, eliminated 4-2)
(WORSHARKS) The Sharks fell into an early hole and could never recover as a tough second period spelled the end of their season in a 5-1 Game 6 loss to the Providence Bruins on Wednesday evening at the DCU Center. Providence scored two goals within the first 10:05 of the game to set the tone. It was already 4-0 when a second period incident gave the Bruins a 10 minute power play to effectively end the Sharks’ hopes of staging a comeback. Worcester ends their most successful season just two wins shy of capturing the Atlantic Division title while Providence advances to face Hershey in the Eastern Conference Finals. The Sharks were whistled for two early penalties and it cost them when Brad Marchand found the back of the net to put Worcester into an early 1-0 hole. A wraparound clearing attempt hit referee Terry Koharski along the boards to keep the puck in the zone. Martin St. Pierre corralled the puck and made a touch to Vladimir Sobotka in the left wing circle, who then set up Marchand on the right side of the crease at the 4:59 mark. The Bruins’ quick start continued at 10:05 when Jamie Arniel converted on a 3-on-2 rush. Peter Schaefer made the pass from the left wing side to Arniel on the right side, who one-timed the puck just inside the right post. Providence rode the momentum from the first period into a 3-0 lead at 5:32 of the second. Streaking down the left wing side, Jeremy Reich made a centering pass that deflected off a Sharks defenseman, setting up Kirk MacDonald for the easy tap into the open net. Things went from bad to worse when Jordan Knackstedt was stationed in the left wing circle and roofed the puck to make it 4-0 at 13:29. A strange set of circumstances at 13:44 of the second period resulted in the Sharks being on the penalty kill for 10 minutes to the displeasure of the DCU Center crowd. It all started when Riley Armstrong was whistled for a five minute boarding major. While Riley was escorted out of the penalty box, he got into a melee with Johnny Boychuk and was called for a major penalty for spearing. In the meantime, Jeremy Reich and Brad Staubitz dropped the gloves at center ice. In total, Koharski also whistled Armstrong for two game misconducts. St. Pierre scored Providence’s fifth goal of the game only 26 seconds into the extended power play, but Andrew Desjardins got the Sharks on the board with only 12 seconds remaining in the second period on the shorthand. He was sprung on a breakaway and his initial shot was stopped by Tuukka Rask, but the momentum carried the Providence netminder into the net for the 5-1 score after two periods of play. The Sharks had a number of third period chances, outshooting the Bruins 11-6, but it was too little too late.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: