Today in Worcester hockey history: October 7


1994 at Portland 9-1 loss
The Worcester IceCats were completely outclassed by the Pirates in a 9-1 loss in Portland. It was 7-0 before the ‘Cats scored when Sean Whyte lit the lamp for the IceCats at 9:30 of the third period. Lindsay Vallis, playing defense for the first time in his pro career, had the assist on the goal. [210Sports note: There’s a story about this game that has IceCats Head Coach Jim Roberts making his players carry their own equipment bags to the bus because he was so angry with their terrible play that night, reportedly telling the dressing-room attendants to “let them carry their own bags because they didn’t do anything else tonight.”]

1995 vs Providence 5-2 win
The Worcester IceCats opened their second season in front of 10,152 fans who saw the ‘Cats defeat the Providence Bruins 5-2. Craig Darby got the ‘Cats on the board just 1:28 into the contest with a goal assisted by Patrice Tardif and David Roberts. Lindsay Vallis made it 2-0 at 3:07, assisted by Jason Widmer and Darby. Andre Roy got one back for the Baby-Bs at 14:31, but Darby would grab his second of the game, from Tardif and Roberts at 17:20 on the power play, to make it 3-1. Roy scored again for Providence at 18:44 to make it 3-2 after one period. Roy Mitchell made it a two goal lead at 2:13 of the middle period with a power play goal assisted by Jason Widmer. Roberts capped the scoring at 8:47 on the power play, assisted by Terry Virtue, for the 5-2 final. Eric Fichaud had 24 saves for his first pro win.

2000 vs Springfield 3-2 loss
(TICKER) Jeff Toms scored a goal and assisted on Springfield’s other two goals and Stephen Valiquette stopped 29 shots as the Falcons topped the Worcester IceCats, 3-2. Toms snapped a 2-2 tie with a score at 2:21 in the third period. Toms assisted on a power-play goal in the first stanza by Tavis Hansen and a second-period score by Jean-Guy Trudel. Valiquette turned away 12 shots in first period and all 14 he faced in the third for the win. Andrej Podkonicky and Dale Clarke both netted a goal on the man advantage for Worcester, which shut out Lowell 4-0 on Friday. Dwayne Roloson surrendered three goals on 28 shots for the loss.

2006 at Manchester 5-4 SOL
(WORSHARKS) The Sharks went hunting for their second straight win of the season when they visited Manchester to take on the Monarchs. The Sharks played catch up all game and were able to tie the game up with just under a minute left in regulation when Mathieu Darche scored his second of the night and third of the season. The Sharks peppered Monarchs goalie Jason LaBarbera for most of the overtime but could not solve him. Manchester scored three goals to the Sharks one in the shootout session to take the extra point. Dimitri Patzold took the shootout loss with 24 saves.

2012 4-3 exhibition win at Connecticut (Trinity College, Hartford, CT)
(WORSHARKS) Connecticut Whale rookie and Boston College alum Chris Kreider scored three goals as the Sharks fell 4-3 to the Connecticut Whale at Trinity College on Sunday afternoon. The Sharks finished their three game exhibition schedule with a 1-2-0-0 record and will begin the AHL regular season schedule Friday night in Norfolk. Sebastian Stalberg, Marek Viedensky, and James Sheppard scored for the Sharks and Travis Oleksuk added two assists in the loss. The Connecticut Whale stormed out to a 2-0 first period lead after a 2-on-1 conversion strike by Chris Kreider (2nd) at 7:36 and a quick snap shot from the left side by J.T. Miller (3rd) past Alex Stalock at 17:20. Curt Gogol (3rd FM) and Michael Haley (2nd FM) had a terrific scrap at 17:41, with Gogol receiving an extra five for boarding and a game misconduct. The Sharks went 0-for-2 on the power play with the Whale outshooting Worcester 13-7 through 20 minutes. Sebastian Stalberg (1st) got Worcester on the board on a delayed penalty call with a quick low snap shot from the right circle at 5:15 assisted by James Sheppard and Travis Oleksuk. The Whale struck right back at 7:20 with Chris Kreider’s (3rd) second goal of the game at 7:20 to put Connecticut ahead 3-1. Marek Viedensky (1st) got the Sharks back within a goal with a wicked shot from 45 feet through a screen and past Scott Stajcer at 15:05 to close out the scoring in the middle frame. The Sharks trailed 3-2 after 40 minutes with the Whale holding a 20-12 shot advantage. With Harri Sateri in goal to start the third period, Chris Kreider (4th) scored his third goal of the game at 5:54 to put Connecticut ahead 4-2. James Sheppard (1st) slammed home a loose rebound in front on the power play at 16:56 to get Worcester back within one. Whale netminder Scott Stajcer held off the late Sharks attack as Worcester fell 4-3.

2017 5-1 exhibition loss at Manchester (Rinks at Exeter, NH)
(RAILERS) The Worcester Railers HC (0-2-0-0, 0pts) wrapped up their two-game exhibition schedule with a 5-1 loss to the host Manchester Monarchs (2-0-0-0, 4pts) in front 451 fans at the Rinks at Exeter on Saturday evening. Manchester outshot Worcester 25-24, and Frankie DiChiara scored the only Railers goal of the night. Mitch Gillam made 20 saves in net for Worcester and Ashton Rome wore the “C” for the Railers in his debut. Michael Doherty led the way offensively for the Monarchs with two goals and Evan Cowley made 23 saves in net as the Monarchs swept the two game exhibition series against Worcester. The Monarchs drew blood first and took a 1-0 lead at 15:05 when forward Michael Doherty (1) went top shelf over the glove of goaltender Mitch Gillam. Seconds later, Monarchs’ forward Tony Turgeon (1) grabbed a loose puck and snapped it in to put the Monarchs up 2-0. Worcester outshot Manchester 1-0 in the first period but trailed 2-0 after 20 minutes of play. The Railers were finally able to find the net in the second period when forward Frankie DiChiara (1) sent a shot through a screen from the top 40 feet out, sneaking the puck past Manchester goaltender Evan Cowley at 7:15. The Monarchs, however, would answer DiChiara’s goal with a goal of their own from forward Michael Doherty (2) at 7:33 to put Manchester up 3-1. Manchester capitalized again with a wrister from forward Zac Lynch (2) just a few feet out from the Railers net to take a sizable 4-1 lead over Worcester. Worcester led the period in shots on goal 8-7, but headed into the locker room down 4-1 through 40 minutes of play. Manchester extended their lead after converting on a power play goal from forward Connor Bates (1) at 17:38 to put Worcester down 5-1. Shortly after the goal, Worcester defenseman Preston Kugler (1st FM) sent Manchester forward Michael Doherty (1st FM) down to the ice after a series of rights at 17:38 for the second scrap of the night. Manchester outshot Worcester 9-6 in the final frame to secure the 5-1 victory.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: