Today in Worcester hockey history: April 28


2001 vs Providence 3-1 win (New England Division F, lead 3-2)
The Worcester IceCats were outshot after the first 40 minutes but held the lead on the scoreboard as they handed the Providence Bruins their third straight playoff loss in a 3-1 win. Vladimir Chebaturkin opened the scoring at 13:43 of the first period with the only goal he ever had in an IceCats uniform. Mark Rycroft and Marc Brown had the assists. Justin Papineau made it 2-0 with a goal at 3:27 of the middle stanza, assisted by Eric Boguniecki. Mike Van Ryn made it 3-0 with a power play goal at 19:33, assisted by Sebastien Bordeleau and Dan Trebil. Jeremy Brown spoiled Dwayne Roloson’s shutout bid at 15:51 of the third for the 3-1 final. Roloson ended the game with 31 saves,

2007 vs Manchester 3-2 loss 2OT (Atlantic Division SF, eliminated 4-2)
(MONARCHS) Rookie center Brian Boyle scored the double overtime game-winner to advance the Manchester Monarchs to the 2007 Calder Cup Atlantic Division Finals for the first time in franchise history with a 3-2 double overtime win to eliminate the Worcester Sharks in front of 1,828 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night. After winning three straight and then losing two in a row, Manchester came out in the first period ready to end the series as they netted two tallies in the first 20 minutes. Center Shay Stephenson scored his first goal of the playoffs when he picked up the puck from Boyle and skated down the left wing in Sharks territory. Stephenson attempted a shot from the bottom of the left face-off circle but fanned on the puck. He regained control, carried it behind the net and finished off the play with a wrap around goal by sliding the puck past Worcester goaltender Dimitri Patzold at 11:40 of the first period. Right wing Lauri Tukonen earned an assist on the first goal of the game. Defenseman T.J. Kemp tallied his first goal of the playoffs at 18:43 as Sharks center Tom Cavanagh sat in the penalty box for tripping. Boyle battled along the right wing boards and passed the puck to Kemp at the right point. The defenseman settled the puck and blasted a slap shot into the net for a 2-0 lead. Center Marty Murray collected the other assist on the tally. A scary moment for the Monarchs happened at 14:06 of the second period as defenseman Justin Kurtz hit Tukonen along the Monarchs bench. Tukonen was carried off the ice on a stretcher and taken to Saint Vincent Hospital for further evaluation. He was alert and moving his limbs as he was taken off the ice. The Sharks cut the Monarchs lead in half at 4:30 of the final period with a power play goal by Cavanagh. Defenseman Garrett Stafford sent the puck from the right boards in the offensive zone to defenseman Patrick Traverse at the left point. Traverse shot the puck on net that Monarchs goaltender Jason LaBarbera saved. Cavanagh was camped out in front, picked up the rebound and flipped it over LaBarbera into the open net. Center Mike Iggulden tied the game at 15:43 of the third period as he tipped in a shot by defenseman Tom Walsh on the power play. Center Torrey Mitchell passed the puck to Walsh at the right point who sent a slap shot toward the net. Iggulden, screening LaBarbera, tipped the puck for his third goal of the series and to push overtime. Boyle stuffed in the game-winner at 9:37 of double overtime to send the Monarchs into the second round of the playoffs. Defenseman Oleg Tverdovsky blasted a shot that hit off the end-boards and bounced to the left of the net. Boyle put his stick on the puck and tipped it onto the goal line. Patzold’s skate nudged the puck over the line to bounce the Sharks from the playoffs. Centers Patrick O’Sullivan and Matt Ryan were credited with the assists. LaBarbera collected the win with 45 saves. Patzold took loss stopping 34-of-37 shots. Manchester went 1-for-5 with the man advantage. Worcester was 2-for-6 on the power play.

2009 at Providence 3-2 loss (Atlantic Division F, trail 1-0)
(WORSHARKS) Bruins captain Jeremy Reich fired a bullet from the right circle past Thomas Greiss at 6:19 of the over time period as the Sharks dropped Game 1 of the Atlantic Division Finals to the Bruins at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence on Tuesday night 3-2. Things began feisty as penalties were called at the opening faceoff as Frazer McLaren and Jordan Knachstedt were each whistled for unsportsmanlike conduct before the puck was even dropped. The Bruins would strike on the 4on4 as the Sharks turned the puck over in their own zone and Brad Marchand found Martin St. Pierre all alone in front for an easy score at 1:06. A few minutes later, Jamie McGinn was stopped by Tuuka Rask on a breakaway chance to hold the Sharks off the board. Several scrums and battles would continue after each whistle as the Sharks trailed 1-0 after twenty minutes outshooting the Bruins 10-8. The Bruins charged out to a 2-0 lead with a power play goal by Brad Marchand at 5:55. Marchand broke down the left wing and took a great feed from St. Pierre from the right side and buried the puck past Greiss on the back hand. The Sharks cut the lead in half with a power play goal of their own at 12:55 as Jamie McGinn was set up in front from behind the net by Dan DaSilva. The Sharks trailed 2-1 after forty minutes outshooting the Bruins 21-16. Jamie McGinn tied the score at 2-2 after a wild goal mouth scramble behind Rask after Ryan Vesce hit the cross bar with a shot from the right circle. The goal by McGinn was his 2nd of the game at 14:39 of the third period. Worcester outshot the Bruins 14-5 in the third period to force overtime. Bruins captain would score the game winner in OT on the Bruins 6th shot of the extra session as his shot from the right circle found the back of the net just inside the crossbar at 6:19.

2010 vs Manchester 3-2 loss (Atlantic Division F, tied 1-1)
(WORSHARKS) The Sharks were unable to hold a third period lead and they fell to the Manchester Monarchs in overtime, 3-2, at the DCU Center Wednesday night in game two of the Atlantic Division Finals. Bud Holloway scored his fifth game-winning goal of the playoffs to lift the Monarchs to victory. Worcester and Manchester are tied at 1-1 in their best-of-series. Brandon Mashinter scored his first professional playoff goal and Steven Zalewski tallied two assists for the Sharks in the losing effort. Alex Stalock made sure Manchester did not score in the first period as he made numerous big stops including a Monarchs breakaway. Unfortunately, the Sharks were unable to light the lamp either. Manchester outshot Worcester, 11-7. The goalies kept the games scoreless through the first 10 minutes of the second period, but Manchester finally broke through at the 10:15 mark. A turnover in the Sharks zone left Corey Elkins (2) alone in front of the cage and he snapped one past Stalock to give Manchester a 1-0 lead for the second game in a row. The lead did not last long though as Mashinter (1) sniped one top-shelf past Jonathan Bernier, 11:22 into the period. Zalewski and Justin Braun earned the assists. Worcester grabbed the lead with the man advantage at the 14:46 mark when Derek Joslin (3) blasted one from the point that trickled through the pads of Bernier. Zalewski and Danny Groulx assisted on the goal that gave the Sharks a 2-1 lead after two periods. The Sharks outshot the Monarchs, 17-12. Manchester tied the game at 2-2, 7:37 into the third period, when Justin Azevedo (1) tipped an Alec Martinez shot from the point behind Stalock. It was the only tally of the period and the squads ended regulation tied 2-2. Worcester outshot Manchester, 8-5. Holloway (5) scored 4:29 into overtime as he beat Stalock from the left wing to give the Monarchs the victory, 3-2. Shots were 3-1 in favor of the Monarchs in the overtime period.


Comments are closed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: